Risk of recurrent myocardial infarction with the concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors
Version of Record online: 19 OCT 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 77–88, January 2011
How to Cite
Valkhoff, V. E., ‘t Jong, G. W., Van Soest, E. M., Kuipers, E. J. and Sturkenboom, M. C. J. M. (2011), Risk of recurrent myocardial infarction with the concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 33: 77–88. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2010.04485.x
- Issue online: 5 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 OCT 2010
- Publication data Submitted 16 July 2010 First decision 6 August 2010 Resubmitted 23 September 2010 Accepted 24 September 2010
- 5Effect of antisecretory drugs and nitrates on the risk of ulcer bleeding associated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antiplatelet agents, and anticoagulants. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 507–15., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 6COGENT: A Prospective, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Omeprazole in Patients Receiving Aspirin and Clopidogrel. Transvascular Cardiovascular Therapeutics Annual Meeting, September 2009., , .
- 8ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents. Circulation 2008; 118: 1894–909., , , et al.
- 9Food and Drug Administration. Public Health Advisory: Updated Safety Information About a Drug Interaction Between Clopidogrel Bisulfate (Marketed as Plavix) and Omeprazole (Marketed as Prilosec and Prilosec OTC). Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PublicHealthAdvisories/ucm190825.htm. Accessed February 6, 2010.
- 10European Medicines Agency. Public Statement on Possible Interaction Between Clopidogrel and Proton-Pump Inhibitors. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/Plavix/32895609en.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2010.
- 18A National Study of the Effect of Individual Proton Pump Inhibitors on Cardiovascular Outcomes in Patients Treated With Clopidogrel Following Coronary Stenting: The Clopidogrel Medco Outcomes Study. Available at: http://wwwscaiorg/pdf/20090506Medcoabstractpdf. Accessed February 8, 2010., , , et al.
- 23Baseline proton pump inhibitor use is associated with increased cardiovascular events with and without the use of clopidogrel in the CREDO trial. Circulation 2008; 118: S815., , , et al.
- 24WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology. Guidelines for ATC Classification and DDD Assignment. Available at: http://www.whocc.no/atcddd. Accessed September 4, 2009.
- 27Indiana University SoM, Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, P450 Drug Interaction Table. Available at: http://medicine.iupui.edu/clinpharm/ddis/table.asp. Accessed July 12, 2010.
- 30Meta-analysis: the effects of proton pump inhibitors on cardiovascular events and mortality in patients receiving clopidogrel. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1989; 31: 810–23., .
- 32Proton Pump Inhibitors in the Absence of Clopidogrel Therapy Do Not Affect Cardiovascular Outcomes in Coronary Stent Patients. Presented at American Heart Association’s Ninth Scientific Forum on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research in Cardiovascular and Stroke. Available at: http://wwwmedcoresearchcom/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1169-6-1082/QCOR_PPI_and_Plavix_FNLpdf. Accessed October 5, 2010., , , et al.