As part of AP&T's peer-review process, a technical check of this meta-analysis was performed by Dr. Y. Yuan.
Meta-analysis: banding ligation and medical interventions for the prevention of rebleeding from oesophageal varices
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 35, Issue 10, pages 1155–1165, May 2012
How to Cite
Thiele, M., Krag, A., Rohde, U. and Gluud, L. L. (2012), Meta-analysis: banding ligation and medical interventions for the prevention of rebleeding from oesophageal varices. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 35: 1155–1165. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2012.05074.x
- Issue published online: 15 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 DEC 2011
- 5Improved patient survival after acute variceal bleeding: a multicenter, cohort study. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 653–9., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 9Incidence and management of esophageal stricture formation, ulcer bleeding, perforation, and massive hematoma formation from sclerotherapy versus band ligation. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 437–41., , , , .Direct Link:
- 10Banding ligation versus beta-blockers as primary prophylaxis in esophageal varices: systematic review of randomized trials. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 2842–8., , , .Direct Link:
- 14Practice Guidelines Committee of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Prevention and management of gastroesophageal varices and variceal hemorrhage in cirrhosis. Hepatology 2007; 46: 922–38., , , ,
- 16Pharmacotherapy plus endoscopic intervention is more effective than pharmacotherapy or endoscopy alone in the secondary prevention of esophageal variceal bleeding: a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70: 658–64 e5., , , , .
- 22Effects of propranolol on rebleeding following endoscopic esophageal variceal ligation: a prospective, controlled trial. World Chin J Digesto 2009; 17: 83–5., , , .
- 24Clinical trial: a randomized controlled study on prevention of variceal rebleeding comparing nadolol + ligation vs. hepatic venous pressure gradient-guided pharmacological therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009; 29: 397–408., , , et al.
- 25Endoscopic Band Ligation (EBL) versus endoscopic band ligation and propranolol for the prevention of variceal rebleeding in pts with previous variceal treatment. Available at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov; 2009., .
- 26Band ligation alone versus band ligation and propranolol in the management of bleeding oesophageal varices. Kasr El Aini Medical Journal 1999; 5: 151–66., , .
- 27Band ligation alone versus band ligation and propranolol in the management of bleeding oesophageal varices. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95: 2442., , .Direct Link:
- 33Endoscopic Variceal Ligation (EVL) plus Propranolol (P) and Isosorbide Mononitrate (ISMN) versus Endoscopic Variceal Ligation alone in secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101: S179., , , , .
- 34Endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) plus propranolol (P) and isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN) versus EVL alone in secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding: a prospective RCT. Hepatology 2007; 46: 250A., , , .
- 40Spanish Cooperative Variceal Rebleeding HHLLU, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain. Multicenter RCT comparing drug therapy vs the combination of drug therapy + endoscopic band ligation in the prevention of rebleeding in patients with cirrhosis. Hepatology 2006; 44: 202A–3A.
- 47The low incidence of bacterial infections could be a protective factor against variceal bleeding per se in hemodynamic responders to propranolol. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101: 2436–7., , , , , .Direct Link: