The concept of surgical operating list ‘efficiency’: a formula to describe the term
Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2007
Volume 62, Issue 9, pages 895–903, September 2007
How to Cite
Pandit, J. J., Westbury, S. and Pandit, M. (2007), The concept of surgical operating list ‘efficiency’: a formula to describe the term. Anaesthesia, 62: 895–903. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2007.05174.x
- Issue online: 9 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2007
- Accepted: 12 May 2007
- 6Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. Theatre Efficiency, Safety, Quality of Care and Optimal Use of Resources. August 2003. London: AAGBI, 2003.
- 7Audit Commission. Operating Theatres. Review of National Findings. London: HMSO, 2003.
- 8Northern Ireland Audit Office. The Use of Operating Theatres in the Northern Ireland Health and Personal Social Services. Belfast: HMSO, 2003.
- 9Scottish Executive. National Theatres Project: Final Report. Edinburgh: HMSO, 2006.
- 11Performance measurement. American Society of Anesthesiologists Newsletter 2003; 67: 5–6..
- 13Successful strategies for improving operating room efficiency at academic institutions. Anesthesia and Analgesia 1996; 85: 1232–4., , , .
- 19Efficient OR scheduling: a study to reduce cancellations. Association of Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN) Journal 1985; 41: 565–7., , .
- 20Office for National Statistics. Public Service Productivity: Health, October 2004. London: Office for National Statistics, 2004.
- 21New South Wales Health Department. Operating Theatre Management Report. Sydney: Health Department, 2002.
- 22Saskatchewan Provincial Wait List Strategy Team. Surgical Wait List Management: a Strategy for Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan: Health Department of Saskatchewan, 2002.
- 28Queensland Health. Policy Framework for Elective Surgery Services. Queensland Government, 2005.
- 29The use of theatre time in elective orthopaedic surgery. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons (Suppl.) 2005; 87: 170–2., , .
- 30Inclusion of turnover time does not influence identification of surgical services that over- and underutilize allocated block time. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2003; 96: 8138., , , .
- 31Use of an operating room information system data to predict the impact of reducing turnover times on staffing costs. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2003; 97: 119–26., , , , .
- 35Audit Commission. Payment by Results. Key Risks and Questions to Consider for Trust and PCT Managers and Non-Executives, June. London: HMSO, 2004.
- 37Resource implications of cancelled operations. British Medical Journal 1994; 398: 138–9., , , .