Of humans, factors, failings and fixations
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal compilation © 2009 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 65, Issue 1, pages 1–3, January 2010
How to Cite
Yentis, S. (2010), Of humans, factors, failings and fixations. Anaesthesia, 65: 1–3. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2009.06018.x
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2009
- 1The American Presidency Project. Santa Barbara, CA: University of California(hosted), Gerhard Peters (database). http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34430&st=&st1= (accessed 26/09/09)., .
- 2Associated Press. Obama: ‘I screwed up’: Daschle nomination gone. Washington, DC: Washington Times; 4 Feb 2009. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/04/obama-i-screwed/ (30/09/09).
- 3Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care and Patient Safety. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2006..
- 6Department of Health. An Organisation with a Memory. London: The Stationery Office, 2000.
- 7Department of Health. Building a Safer NHS for Patients: Implementing an Organisation with a Memory. London: The Stationery Office, 2001.
- 8Department of Health. Safety First: a Report for Patients, Clinicians and Healthcare Managers. London: The Stationery Office, 2006.
- 9National Audit Office. A Safer Place for Patients: Learning to Improve Patient Safety. London: The Stationery Office, 2005.
- 10To err is Human – but not if You’re a Doctor. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7974084.stm (accessed 30/09/09)..
- 11Anaesthesia virtual issues. Safety and Human Factors; April 2009. http://www.wiley.com/bw/vi.asp?ref=0003-2409&site=1 (accessed 30/09/09).
- 13National Patient Safety Agency. WHO Surgical Safety Checklist. Patient Safety Alert; 15 Jan 2009. http://www.npsa.nhs.uk/corporate/news/england-and-wales-to-benefit-from-successful-global-safe-surgery-pilot-which-sees-surgical-deaths-re/ (accessed 30/09/09).
- 15How the Pilot’s Checklist Came About. http://www.atchistory.org/History/checklst.htm (accessed 30/09/09)..
- 16Have you ever made a mistake? The Royal College of Anaesthetists Bulletin 2008; 48: 2442–5..
- 17Why anaesthesia patient safety has lagged behind aviation safety? The Royal College of Anaesthetists Bulletin 2008; 51: 2598–600..
- 18Fixation errors: failures to revise situation assessment in dynamic and risky systems. In: ColomboAG, Saiz de BustamanteA eds. Systems Reliability Assessment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer, 1990; 231–51., .
- 19Crisis Management in Anesthesiology. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1994; 24–33., , .
- 23Crisis Management in Acute Care Settings: Human Factors and Team Psychology in a High Stakes Environment. Berlin: Springer, 2007; 74–8., , .