Estimating hourly anaesthetic and surgical reimbursement from private medical insurers’ benefit maxima: implications for pricing services and for incentives
Version of Record online: 17 MAR 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 65, Issue 4, pages 396–408, April 2010
How to Cite
Stubbs, D., Ward, M. E. and Pandit, J. J. (2010), Estimating hourly anaesthetic and surgical reimbursement from private medical insurers’ benefit maxima: implications for pricing services and for incentives. Anaesthesia, 65: 396–408. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2009.06238.x
- Issue online: 17 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 MAR 2010
- Accepted: 23 December 2009
- 1British Medical Association. The New NHS Consultant Contract (England). London: British Medical Association, August 2003.
- 2The new consultant contract and anaesthesia: practical implications of the new terminology. A personal view. Anaesthesia News 2003; 195: 16–7..
- 3The new consultant contract: threats and opportunities of “supporting professional activity”. Anaesthesia News 2003; 197: 24–6., .
- 4Managing supporting professional activity in an anaesthetic department. Bulletin of the Royal College of Anaesthetists 2006; 35: 1754–7., .
- 5BMJ Careers. 2009–10 salary scales. http://careers.bmj.com/careers/static/advice-salary-scales.html (accessed 18/8/2009).
- 6Why are there local shortfalls in anaesthesia consultant staffing? A case study of operational workforce planning. Journal of Healthcare Organisation and Management 2010; 24: [In Press]., , .
- 8Private practice in the United Kingdom. British Medical Journal Careers Focus 2004; 328: 15..
- 9Office of Fair Trading. Enterprise Act 2002. http://oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/publications/guidance/enterprise_act/ (accessed 18/8/2009).
- 16Cardiac surgery productivity and throughput improvements. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance 2007; 20: 30–52., , , .
- 18Matching surgical operating capacity to demand using estimates of operating times. Journal of Health Organisation & Management 2009; 23: 554–67., , .
- 19Private surgical fees in New Zealand. The New Zealand Medical Journal 2005; 118: 1–3..
- 20Dollars and sense. Is there a better way to determine private surgical fees in New Zealand?. The New Zealand Medical Journal 2005; 118: 1–3., , .
- 21AAGBI private practice fee survey. Anaesthesia News 2008; 257: 31–3..
- 22Datamonitor. UK Private Medical Insurance 2006- An In-Depth Analysis of the Private Medical Insurance Market in the UK. DMFS 1990, Datamonitor March 2007. http://www.datamonitor.com (accessed 12/08/2009).
- 23Northern Ireland Audit Office. Private Practice in the National Health Service: A Report by the Comptroller and Auditor General. HC 1008, Session 2005–6, 18 May. London: the Stationery Office, 2006.
- 25Is average base units per surgical specialty indicative of billing productivity? Anesthesiology 2001; 95: A1107., , .
- 28Update on alternate payment methodologies workgroup. American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Newsletter 2007; 11: 8–12., .
- 29Residency and economics: why you need to pay attention. American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Newsletter 2007; 12: 42–3..
- 30Office of Fair Trading. Health Insurance: A Second Report by the Office of Fair Trading. OFT 230. May 1998. http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/financial_products/oft230.pdf (accessed 5/8/2009).
- 31Monopolies and Mergers Commission. Private Medical Services: A Report on Agreements and Practices Relating to Charges for the Supply of Private Medical Services by NHS Consultants. February. London: the Stationery Office, 1994.
- 32Office of Fair Trading. Summary of non-infringement decisions made under the Competition Act 1998 in respect of complaints concerning the activities of various groups of anaesthetists. http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/ca98/decisions/anaesthetists-groups (accessed 12/08/2009).
- 33Report from the Independent Practice Committee: the Newchurch Initiative. Anaesthesia News 2000; 152: 14..
- 34Independent Practice. In: Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland Annual Report 2004-5. London: AAGBI, 2005.
- 35Overview of ‘Choose and Book’. National Health Service: http://www.chooseandbook.nhs.uk/staff/overview (accessed 18/8/2009).