Replacing Luer connectors: still work in progress
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Anaesthesia © 2010 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 65, Issue 11, pages 1059–1063, November 2010
How to Cite
Walker, I. A., Griffiths, R. and Wilson, I. H. (2010), Replacing Luer connectors: still work in progress. Anaesthesia, 65: 1059–1063. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2010.06536.x
- Issue online: 12 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2010
- 1Patient Safety Alerts NPSA/2009/PSA004A. Safer Spinal (intrathecal), Epidural and Regional Devices http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/?entryid45=65259&p=3 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 2External Inquiry into the Adverse Incident that Occurred at Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, 4th January 2001. London: Department of Health, 2010. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4010064 (accessed 04/09/2010)..
- 3Prevention of Intrathecal Medication Errors. A Report to the Chief Medical Officer. London: Department of Health, 2001. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4065044 (accessed 04/09/2010)..
- 4Chief Medical Officer Annual Report 2002. London: Department of Health, 2003. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/AnnualReports/DH_4006432 (accessed 04/09/2010)..
- 5World Health Organization Information Exchange System. Alert no. 115 http://www.who.int/patientsafety/highlights/PS_alert_115_vincristine.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 8Neuronal changes induced by intrathecal vincristine sulfate. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 1968; 27: 650–76., , .
- 9The Development and Testing of Non-Luer Small-Bore Medical Connectors to Prevent ‘Wrong-Route’ Injections of Drugs and Misconnection of Therapy Lines. International Forum on Quality & Safety in Healthcare, April 2010 http://internationalforum.bmj.com/doc/2010/posters/MPDA_Bickfordsmith_The_development_and_introduction_of_a_novel.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010)., .
- 12The Joint Commission Sentinel Event Alert Issue 36. Tubing Misconnections – A Persistent and Deadly Occurrence, 3 April 2006 http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEvents/SentinelEventAlert/sea_36.htm (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 13Department of Health. An Organisation with a Memory. London: Department of Health, 2000. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4065083 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 14Updated National Guidance on the Safe Administration of Intrathecal Chemotherapy. London: Department of Health, 2008. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_086844.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010).(Chief Medical Officer).
- 15Toxic Epidural Ravages Mother. The Age, 21 August 2010. http://www.theage.com.au/national/toxic-epidural-ravages-mother-20100820-1390i.html (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 16Patient Safety Alerts NPSA/2007/21. Safer Practice with Epidural Injections and Infusions. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/?entryid45=59807&p=8 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 17War Hero, 90, in Hospital for Routine Knee Surgery Died When Nurse Made Fatal Drug Error. Daily Mail Online, 4 June 2008. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024131/War-hero-90-hospital-routine-knee-operation-died-nurse-gave-WRONG-drug.html (accessed 07/07/2010).
- 18Patient Safety Alerts NPSA/2009/PSA004B. Safer Spinal (intrathecal), Epidural and Regional Devices – Part B. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/type/alerts/?entryid45=65259 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 19NHS Patient Safety Research Portfolio. Call For Proposals PS/038: A Prospective Hazard Analysis and Pre-implementation Evaluation of Non-Luer Spinal Connectors 2005. http://www.pcpoh.bham.ac.uk/publichealth/psrp/documents/PS038_Call_for_proposals_Spinal_connectors.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 20Risk Assessment of Spinal Procedures with Current Safeguards and with Proposed new Connector Design Options for the Department of Health. London: National Patient Safety Agency, 2004., .
- 21Pre-marketing Assessment of Non-Luer Connectors for Use in the Administration of Spinal Injections. NHS Purchasing and Supplies Agency (PASA), 2007. http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/pasa/Doc.aspx?Path=%5BMN%5D%5BSP%5D/NHSprocurement/CEP/Anaesthetic/CEP07013.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010)..
- 23How are ISO Standards Developed? http://www.iso.org/iso/standards_development/processes_and_procedures/how_are_standards_developed.htm (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 24European Committee for Standardization. CEN Forum Task Group ‘Luer Fittings’ CR13825:2000. Luer Connectors – A Report to CEN from the CEN Forum Task Group “Luer fittings”. Brussels: European Committee for Standardization, 2000.
- 25BS EN 15546-1:2008. Small Bore Connectors for Liquids and Gases in Healthcare Applications. General Requirements. http://www.bsigroup.com/Shop (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 26ISO/FDIS 80369-1. Small-bore Connectors for Liquids and Gases in Healthcare Applications – Part 1: General Requirements. http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=45976 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 27ISO 594-1 1986. Conical Fittings with a 6% (Luer) Taper for Syringes, Needles and Certain Other Medical Equipment – Part 1: General Requirements. http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=4693 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 28ISO 594-2: 1998. Conical Fittings with a 6% (Luer) Taper for Syringes, Needles and Certain Other Medical Equipment – Part 2: Lock Requirements. http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=29540 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 29House of Commons Health Committee, Patient Safety. Sixth Report of Session 2008-9, Vol 1 p62. House of Commons London: The Stationary Office, 2009. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmhealth/cmhealth.htm (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 30Patient Safety Alerts NPSA/2007/PSA19. Promoting Safer Measurement and Administration of Liquid Medicines via Oral and Other Enteral Routes. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/?entryid45=59808&p=8 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 31NPSA. Neuraxial Update. News on Implementation of Devices with Safer Connectors. August 2010, Volume 1 issue 1. http://www.patientsafetyfirst.nhs.uk/ashx/Asset.ashx?path=/Medicationsafety/NPSA-Neuraxial%20Update%20Newsletter-Aug%202010.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 32The Risk Register Working Group. Making it Happen. A Guide for Risk Managers on How to Populate a Risk Register. http://www.dhsspsni.gov.uk/guidance_on_register.pdf (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 33Corporate Manslaughter and Homicide Act 2007. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/19/contents (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 34Statement on the NPSA Safer Neuraxial Connectors Alert. http://www.aagbi.org/news.htm#102 (accessed 04/09/2010)..
- 35Statement by Dr Peter Nightingale, President to the RCoA on NPSA’s Safer Neuraxial Connectors Alert. http://rcoa.ac.uk/index.asp?PageID=64&NewsID=787 (accessed 04/09/2010)..
- 36Obstetric Anaesthetists Association News, 18/08/2010. NPSA Safer Spinal Needles – Delay Requested. http://www.oaa-anaes.ac.uk/content.asp?ContentID=377 (accessed 04/09/2010).
- 40Department of Health. Press Releases: Review of Arm’s Length Bodies to cut Bureaucracy. 26 July 2010. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/MediaCentre/Pressreleases/DH_117844 (accessed 04/09/2010).