Emergency surgery in the elderly patient: a quality improvement approach
Article first published online: 16 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Author. Anaesthesia © 2011 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 440–445, June 2011
How to Cite
Peden, C. J. (2011), Emergency surgery in the elderly patient: a quality improvement approach. Anaesthesia, 66: 440–445. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2011.06769.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 16 MAY 2011
- 1National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Elective and Emergency Surgery in the Elderly: an Age Old Problem. London: NCEPOD, 2010 http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2010eese.htm (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 2Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. Care and Compassion? 2011 http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/care-and-compassion (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 3National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Extremes of Age. London: NCEPOD, 1999.
- 4Scottish Audit of Surgical Mortality. http://www.sasm.org.uk/ (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 10Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. Emergency General Surgery: the Future. A Consensus Statement. London: ASGBI, 2007.
- 11Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Australian and New Zealand audit of surgical mortality. National Report 2009. http://www.surgeons.org/media/365955/anzasm_2009_annual_report.pdf (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 17The Improvement Guide, 2nd edn. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2009., , , , , .
- 19High Quality Care for all: NHS Next Stage Review Final Report. London: Department of Health, 2008. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_085825 (accessed 04/03/2011)..
- 22Emergency laparotomy network. http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/emergency-laparotomy-network (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 23A national survey of management of patients aged over 75 years undergoing elective and emergency laparotomy. Clinical Intensive Care 2006; 17: 85–93., , .
- 26Scottish Patient Safety Programme: SPSP driver diagrams and change packages. http://www.patientsafetyalliance.scot.nhs.uk/programme/toolkit/patient-safety-tools/spsp-driver-diagrams-and-change-packages (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 29National Patient Safety Agency. Recognising and responding appropriately to early signs of deterioration in hospitalised patients, November 2007. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/?entryid45=59834&p=10 (accessed 09/03/2011).
- 38Early multidisciplinary referral and length of stay of elderly emergency surgical patients. European Journal of Anaesthesia 2010; 27: 241., , , .
- 41Improving the Reliability of Health Care. IHI Innovation Series white paper. Boston: Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2004. (Available on http://www.IHI.org)., , , .
- 42National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death. Deaths in Acute Hospitals. Caring to the End? London: NCEPOD, 2009 http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2009dah.htm (accessed 04/03/2011).
- 43Using a bundle approach to improve ventilator care processes and reduce ventilator associated pneumonia. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety 2005; 31: 246–8., , , , , .
- 47Intermountain Health Care. Harvard business school case review. 2002. http://hbr.org/product/intermountain-health-care/an/603066-PDF-ENG?Ntt=intermountain (accessed 23/03/2011)., , .
- 48Achieving an Exceptional Patient and Family Experience of Inpatient Hospital Care. IHI Innovation Series White Paper. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2011. http://www.IHI.org (accessed 09/03/2011)., , , .
- 49Patient- and family-centered collaborative care: an orthopaedic model. Clinical Orthopedic Related Research 2007; 463: 13–9., , .