You can respond to this article at http://www.anaesthesiacorrespondence.com
Mobile phones and the developing world
Article first published online: 2 AUG 2012
Anaesthesia © 2012 The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 67, Issue 9, pages 945–950, September 2012
How to Cite
Sheraton, T. E., Wilkes, A. R. and Hall, J. E. (2012), Mobile phones and the developing world. Anaesthesia, 67: 945–950. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2012.07298.x
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 2 AUG 2012
- 2Mobile phone stethoscope developed. EHealth Insider, 17 October 2011. http://www.ehi.co.uk/news/ehi/7230/mobile-phone-stethoscope-developed (accessed 16/05/2012)..
- 3Video: UK animators use cellphone and microscope to film smallest stop-motion animation ever. Popular Science, 20 September 2010. http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-09/uk-animators-use-cellscope-fo-film-smallest-animation-wallace-and-gromit-style (accessed 16/05/2012)..
- 5iPhone to measure 15 degree tilt during caesarean section. Anaesthesia 2012; 67: 550–1., .
- 6A randomised control trial to determine if use of the iResus © application on a smartphone improves the performance of an advanced life support provider in a simulated medical emergency. Anaesthesia 2011; 66: 255–62., , , et al.
- 7Medical Devices Agency. Electromagnetic compatibility of medical devices with mobile communications (DB 9702). London: Medical Devices Agency, March 1997. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/dts-iac/documents/publication/con017982.pdf (accessed 16/05/2012).
- 9The role of mobile phones in sustainable rural poverty reduction. World Bank Inspection Panel Division, Editor July 15, 2008., , .
- 10Microsoft Research. Cell phone technology is key to better health in Africa. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/collaboration/focus/health/smartphone_clinical_diagnosis.aspx (accessed 25/05/2012).
- 12World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists. 2008 International Standards for a Safe Practice of Anaesthesia. http://www.anaesthesiologists.org/en/latest/2008-international-standards-for-a-safe- practice-of-anaesthesia.html (accessed 16/05/2012).
- 13Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI). Standards of monitoring during anaesthesia and recovery, 4th edition. London: AAGBI, 2007. http://www.aagbi.org/sites/default/files/standardsofmonitoring07.pdf (accessed 16/05/2012).
- 14Electromagnetic immunity of medical devices: the European regulatory framework. Annali dell’Istituto superiore di sanità 2007; 43: 268–76., , .
- 15Council Directive 93/42/EEC (Medical Devices Directive) published on 14 June, 1993. Official Journal of the European Community No L169, 12 July 1993. p. 1–43. Latest consolidated version available at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1993L0042:20071011:EN:PDF (accessed 17/05/2012).
- 18iDoc – Foundation doctors use of mobile technology in the workplace http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/curemede/projects/idoc.html (accessed 21/06/2012).
- 19Obstetric Anaesthetists’ Association. Information for mothers – with translations in up to 37 languages. http://www.oaa-anaes.ac.uk/content.asp?ContentID=451 (accessed 21/06/2012).
- 20Royal College of Anaesthetists. How to get a logbook on your handheld. http://www.frca.co.uk/page.aspx?id=81 (accessed 21/06/2012).
- 21World Federation of Society of Anaesthesiologists. Tutorial of the week. http://totw.anaesthesiologists.org/ (accessed 21/06/2012).
- 23$80 Android phone sells like hotcakes in Kenya, the world next? Singularity Hub, August 16, 2011. http://singularityhub.com/2011/08/16/80-android-phone-sells-like-hotcakes-in-kenya-the-world-next (accessed 21/06/2012)..
- 24International Telecommunications Union. The World in 2011. ICT Facts and Figures. http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/facts/2011/material/ICTFactsFigures2011.pdf (accessed 21/06/2012).
- 27Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland. SAFE obstetric anaesthesia course. http://www.aagbi.org/international/international-relations-committee/refresher-courses (accessed 24/06/2012).
- 28Anon. Where do first year medical students look things up? Wishful thinking in medical education, 5 June 2009. http://wishfulthinkinginmedicaleducation.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/where-do-first-year-medical-students.html (accessed 24/06/2012).
- 29E-Learning Anaesthesia. http://www.e-lfh.org.uk/projects/ela/index.html (accessed 24/06/2012).
- 30Royal College of Anaesthetists. e-SAFE Safer Anaesthesia from Education. http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/news-and-bulletin/rcoa-news-and-statements/e-safe-safer-anaesthesia-education (accessed 24/06/2012).
- 31Spark Africa 2- Bicycle mobile phone charger for rural Kenya http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A6AuK6zG90 (accessed 24/06/2012).
- 32mWomen. Solar Sister: shining a light on female centred distribution channels. http://www.mwomen.org/News/solar-sister-shining-a-light-on-female-centred-distribution-channels. (accessed 24/06/2012).