Growth and survival rate of three genetic groups fed 28% and 34% protein diets
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 45, Issue 2, pages 353–361, January 2014
How to Cite
Santos, A. I., Nguyen, N. H., Ponzoni, R. W., Yee, H. Y., Hamzah, A. and Ribeiro, R. P. (2014), Growth and survival rate of three genetic groups fed 28% and 34% protein diets. Aquaculture Research, 45: 353–361. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2109.2012.03233.x
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012
- 2008. Evaluation of three red tilapia strains (Oreochromis spp) for growth performance and survival in earthen ponds. 8th International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture, 12-14 October 2008, pp. 199–211. Cairo, Egypt. , , & .
- 1998) Genetic improvement of farmed tilapias: growth performance in a complete diallel experiment with eight strains of Oreochromis niloticus. Aquaculture 160, 145–173. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Genotype with environment interactions for carcass composition and carcass quality in pig genotypes selected for components of efficent lean growth. Animal Science 69, 69–80. , , , , & (
- 1993) Genetic improvement of farmed tilapias: the growth performance of eight strains of Oreochromis niloticus tested in different farm environments. Aquaculture 111, 171–188. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Selective breeding of Nile tilapia for Asia. Proc. of the 6th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, ICLARM, Armidale, Australia, Contribution No. 1379. , , , , , , , & . (
- 2007) Genetic improvement of farmed tilapias: composition and genetic parameters of a synthetic base population of Oreochromis niloticus for selective breeding. Aquaculture 273, 1–14. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Effect of dietary protein levels and feeding rates on growth performance, production traits and body composition of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus (L.) cultured in concrete tanks. Aquaculture Research 36, 163–171. & (
- 2005) Genetic (co)variation in harvest body weight and survival in Penaeus (Litopenaeus) vannamei under standard commercial conditions. Aquaculture 243, 83–92. , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Genetic variation for juvenile growth and survival in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Aquaculture 236, 167–177. , , , & (
- 1982) The effect of varying dietary protein level on the growth, food conversion, protein utilization and body composition of juvenile tilapias (Sarotherodon mossambicus). Aquaculture 27/43, 54. (
- 1982) A Guide to Tilapia Feeds and Feeding. University of Stirling, Institute for Aquaculture, Stirling, UK. & (
- 2000. Nutritional requirements. In: Tilapia Biology and Exploitation (ed. by & ), pp. 327–375. Kluwer Accademic Publishers, Great Britain. .
- 2006) Nutrient requirements. In: Tilapia: Biology (ed. by C. Lim, & C.D. Webster). The Haworth Press, Inc, Culture and Nutrition. & (
- 2008) Genotype by environment interaction for harvest body weight and survival of nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in brackish and Fresh water ponds. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture, Egypt, October 2008. pp. 231–238. , , , & (
- 1991) The effect of selection for repaid lean growth on the dietary lysine and energy requirements in pigs fed to scale. Livest. Prod. Sci. 27, 185–198. , & (
- 2006) Perspectives from Agriculture: advances in Livestock Breeding - Implications for Aquaculture Genetics. NAGA. WorldFish Center Quarterly 29, 39–45. & (
- 2007. Can sexual dimorphism and body shape be altered in Nile Tilapia by Genetic Means? Aquaculture 272S1, S36–S48. , , , & .
- 2011. Genetic Improvement for Red Tilapia in Asia. p. 789. World Aquaculture Society, Natal, Brazil. , , , & .
- 2010) Genetic analysis of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) strains I: Genetic parameters and heterosis for growth traits and survival. Aquaculture 304, 14–21. , , , , , , & (
- NRC (2011) Nutrient Requirements of Fish and Shrimp. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- 2010) Comparative performance of four red tilapia strains and their crosses in fresh and saline water environments. Aquaculture 308, S109–114. , & (
- 2005) Genetic parameters and response to selection for live weight in the GIFT strain of Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Aquaculture 247, 203–210. , , & (
- 2010) Inbreeding and effective population size in the Malaysian nucleus of the GIFT strain of Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Aquaculture 302, 42–48. , , & (
- 2011) Genetic improvement of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) with special reference to the work conducted by the WorldFish Center with the GIFT strain. Reviews in Aquaculture 3, 27–41. , , , , & (
- 2009). Impact of rising feed ingredient prices on aquafeeds and aquaculture production. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper 541. , & . (
- 2009) Selective breeding for increased body weight in a synthetic breed of Egyptian Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus: response to selection and genetic parameters. Aquaculture 293, 187–194. , , , , , & (
- 2006) A reassessment of the maintenance ration of red tilapia. Aquaculture International 10, 1–9. , & (
- 2010) Growth comparison of Asian Nile and Red tilapia strains in controlled and uncontrolled farmed conditions. Aquaculture International 18, 1250–1221. , , & (
- 1990) Survival in early life of Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout: estimates of heritabilities and genetic correlations. Aquaculture 89, 209–216. , & (
- SAS Institute Inc., (1997). SAS/STAT® User's Guide, Version 8.1, (4th edn) Vol. 1 and 2, SAS Publishing, Cary, NC, USA.
- 2002. Tilapia Oreochromis spp. In: Nutritent Requirements and Feeding of Finfish for Aquaculture, (ed. by C.D. Webster & C. Lim), CABI Pub., ©2002.Wallingford, UK.
- 1988) Effects of dietary protein levels on growth, feed conversion and protein utilization in fry and young Nile tilapia. Oreochromis niloticus. Aquaculture 70/63, 73. , & (
- 2005) Effect of dietary protein-energy levels and fish initial sizes on growth rate, development and production of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus L. Aquaculture Research 36, 1414–1421. , & (
- 2012) Untangling the positive genetic correlation between rainbow trout growth and survival. Evolutionary Applications. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-4571.2012.00251.x. , , , & (
- 2006) Farming tilapia in saline water. In: Tilapia: Biology (ed. by C. Lim, & C.D. Webster). The Haworth Press, IncCulture and Nutrition. , & (
- 1988) Effects of dietary protein level on growth and reproduction in Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). In: The Second International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture (ed. by R.S.V. Pullin, T. Bhukasawan, K. Tonguthal & J.L. Maclean), pp. 401–410. ICLARM, Manila, Philippines. & . (