Persistence and determinants of statin therapy among middle-aged patients for primary and secondary prevention
Article first published online: 2 MAR 2005
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 59, Issue 5, pages 564–573, May 2005
How to Cite
Perreault, S., Blais, L., Lamarre, D., Dragomir, A., Berbiche, D., Lalonde, L., Laurier, C., St-Maurice, F. and Collin, J. (2005), Persistence and determinants of statin therapy among middle-aged patients for primary and secondary prevention. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 59: 564–573. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2005.02355.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 2 MAR 2005
- Received 1 October 2004 Accepted 1 December 2004
- 1Laboratory Center for Disease Control HC. Statistics Canada, Canadian Institute for Health Information, Canadian Cardiovascular Society, Canadian Stroke Society, et al. The changing face of heart disease and stroke in Canada 2000. Ottawa: Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, 1999.
- 2Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study Group. Randomized trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S). Lancet 1994; 344: 1383–9.
- 4The Long-Term Intervention with Pravastatin in Ischemic Disease (LIPID) Study Group. Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels. NEJM 1998; 339: 1349–57.
- 9et al. for the ASCOT investigators. Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial – Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 1149–58., , ,
- 19World Health Organization. International classification of diseases. Manual of the international statistical classification of diseases, injuries, and cause of death. 9th revision. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 1977 (Publication no. PHS 80–1260).
- 20Statistics Canada Health Division. Canadian classification of diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical procedures, 2nd edn. Ottawa: Supply and Services, 1986.
- 21Régie l’Assurance Maladie du Québec. Health Ministry, Government of Québec, Québec: Régie de l’Assurance Maladie du Québec; Québec 1997.
- 26The Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data, Second Edition. John Wiley & Sons, 1980., , eds.
- 27Econometric analysis, 3rd edn. Upper Saddle River (NJ): Prentice Hall, 1997: p. 552.
- 28Regression diagnostics: identifying influential data and sources of collinearity. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1981., ,
- 35Persistence and determinants of antihypertensive agents among newly treated middle-aged patients. Pharmacoepidemil Drug Safety 2003; 12 (Suppl 1): S102., , , et al.
- 38Precision and Validity in Epidemiologic Studies. Modern Epidemiology. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1998: 115–34.,
- 47Improving primary care for patients with chronic illness. The Chronic Care Model, Part 2 JAMA 2002; 288: 1909–14.,