Does pharmacist-led medication review help to reduce hospital admissions and deaths in older people? A systematic review and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2007
© 2007 The Authors
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 65, Issue 3, pages 303–316, March 2008
How to Cite
Holland, R., Desborough, J., Goodyer, L., Hall, S., Wright, D. and Loke, Y. K. (2008), Does pharmacist-led medication review help to reduce hospital admissions and deaths in older people? A systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 65: 303–316. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2007.03071.x
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2007
- Received 2 July 2007 Accepted29 October 2007 Published OnlineEarly18 December 2007
- 1Impact of domiciliary pharmacy visits on medication management in an elderly population. Int J Pharm Pract 1997; 5: 111–21., , , .
- 4Expanding the roles of outpatient pharmacists: effects on health services utilisation, costs, and patient outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; CD000336., , .
- 7Assessing the quality of randomised controlled trials. In: Systematic, Reviews in Health Care. Meta-analysis in Context, eds EggerM, Davey SmithG, AltmanD. London: BMJ Books, 2001; 87–106., , .
- 8Centre for Reviews & Dissemination. Undertaking Systematic Reviews of Research on Effectiveness. York: University of York, 2001.
- 14The effect of pharmaceutical review of repeat prescriptions in general practice. Int J Pharm Pract 1999; 7: 264–75., .
- 19Evaluation of home-based follow-up of high-risk elderly patients discharged from hospital. J Pharm Prac Res 2003; 33: 176–82., .
- 24The Polymed Trial. Randomised Controlled Trial of Home-Based Medication Review by a Community Pharmacist in a High Risk Elderly Population in Primary Care. Norwich: University of East Anglia, 2004..
- 32Department of Health. National Service Framework for Older People. London: Department of Health, 2001.
- 36Clinical and economic impact of ambulatory care clinical pharmacists in management of dyslipidemia in older adults: the IMPROVE study. Impact of Managed Pharmaceutical Care on Resource Utilization and Outcomes in Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. Pharmacotherapy 2000; 20: 1508–16., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 38Quality use of medicines in the rural ambulant elderly: a pilot study. Rural Remote Health 2004; 4: 1–6 (Online)., , .
- 39Impact of a pharmaceutical care model for non-institutionalised elderly: results of a randomised, controlled trial. Int J Pharm Prac 2001; 9: 235–41., , .
- 44A randomised controlled trial of medication review in patients receiving polypharmacy in general practice. Pharm J 1999; 263 (Suppl.): R7., , , , .
- 46A pharmacist consultation service in community-based family practices: a randomized, controlled trial in seniors. J Pharm Technol 2001; 17: 264–9., , , , .
- 49A randomised controlled trial of medication liaison services – patient outcomes. J Pharm Prac Res 2002; 32: 133–40., , .