Acute amiodarone toxicity due to an administration error: could excipient be responsible?
Article first published online: 15 OCT 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 691–693, June 2009
How to Cite
Masi, S., De Cléty, S. C., Anslot, C. and Detaille, T. (2009), Acute amiodarone toxicity due to an administration error: could excipient be responsible?. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 67: 691–693. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2008.03323.x
- Issue published online: 25 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 15 OCT 2008
- RECEIVED 5 June 2008; ACCEPTED 25 September 2008
- 1Amiodarone. An overview of its pharmacological properties and review of its therapeutic use in cardiac arrythmias. Drugs 1992; 43: 69–110., , .
- 2A randomised haemodynamic comparison of intravenous amiodarone with and without Tween 80®. Eur Heart J 1988; 9: 142–8., , , , , , .
- 3Hypotensive action of commercial intravenous amiodarone and polysorbate 80 in dogs. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1982; 4: 375–80., , , .
- 4Antiarrythmic effects of solvents: effects of propylene glycol and benzyl alcohol on contractile force of isolated rabbit heart. Cardiovasc Res 1979; 13: 717–22., , .
- 5Parenteral toxicity studies with benzyl alcohol. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1971; 18: 60., , , .
- 6Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Neonatal deaths associated with use of benzyl alcohol – United States. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1982; 31: 290–1.
- 7Fatal benzyl alcohol poisoning in a neonatal intensive care unit. Lancet 1982; 1: 1250., , , , .
- 8Haemodynamic and surface electrocardiographic effects of a new aqueous formulation of intravenous amiodarone. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90: 964–8., , , , .
- 9Comparative effects of rapid administration of aqueous amiodarone vs 10-min cordarone IV infusion on mean arterial blood pressure in conscious dogs. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 2004; 18: 345–51., , , .
- 10Negative inotropic and lusotropic effects of intravenous amiodarone in conscious rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2007; 34: 870–5., , , , .
- 11Lack of a hypotensive effect with rapid administration of a new aqueous formulation of intravenous amiodarone. Am J Cardiol 2004; 93: 576–81., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 12Efficacy and safety of IV amiodarone for incessant tachycardias in infants. Eur J Pediatr 2003; 162: 880–4., , .