Do educational interventions improve prescribing by medical students and junior doctors? A systematic review
Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 662–670, June 2009
How to Cite
Ross, S. and Loke, Y. K. (2009), Do educational interventions improve prescribing by medical students and junior doctors? A systematic review. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 67: 662–670. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03395.x
- Issue online: 25 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2009
- Received 9 September 2008 Accepted9 February 2009
- 1A prescription for better prescribing. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 61: 487–91..
- 2Causes of prescribing errors in hospital inpatients: a prospective study. Lancet 2002; 359: 1373–8., , , .
- 3Reducing prescribing error: competence, control, and culture. Qual Saf Health Care 2003; 12 (Suppl. 1): i29–32., , .
- 4Epidemiology of medical error. BMJ 2000; 320: 774–7., , , .
- 5The transition from medical student to doctor: perceptions of final year students and preregistration house officers related to expected learning outcomes. Int J Clin Pract 2005; 59: 324–9., , , .
- 6From undergraduate medical education to pre-registration house officer year: how prepared are students? Med Teach 2006; 28: 435–9., , .
- 7Foundation year 1 doctors and clinical pharmacology and therapeutics teaching. A retrospective view in light of experience. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2007; 64: 363–72., , .
- 8Undergraduate preparation for prescribing: the views of 2413 UK medical students and recent graduates. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 66: 128–34., , .
- 9Teaching safe and effective prescribing in UK medical schools: a core curriculum for tomorrow's doctors. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2003; 55: 496–503., .
- 10A prescription for better prescribing – medical education is a continuum. BMJ 2006; 333: 601..
- 11Challenges in systematic reviews of educational intervention studies. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142 (12 Pt 2): 1080–9., , , , , , , , .
- 12BEME Collaboration. Best Evidence Medical Education [homepage on the internet]. Dundee: BEME Collaboration, 2003. Available at http://www.bemecollaboration.org (last accessed 26 February 2008).
- 13Cochrane Effective Practice and Organisation of Care Group. Cochrane Effective Practice and Organisation of Care Group [homepage on the internet]. Ottawa: Cochrane Effective Practice and Organisation of Care Group. Available at http://www.epoc.cochrane.org (last accessed 26 February 2008.
- 14Comparison of rational pharmacotherapy decision-making competence of general practitioners with intern doctors. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2004; 60: 75–82., , , , , , , .
- 15Presenting clinical pharmacology and therapeutics: evaluation of a problem based approach for choosing drug treatments. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1993; 35: 591–7..
- 16Impact of a short course in pharmacotherapy for undergraduate medical students: an international randomised controlled study. Lancet 1995; 346 (8988): 1454–7., , , , , , , , .
- 17Should medical students learn to develop a personal formulary?: An international, multicentre, randomised controlled study. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 64: 641–6., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 18The impact of problem-based pharmacotherapy training on the competence of rational prescribing of Yemen undergraduate students. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2000; 55: 873–6., , , , , .
- 19Curriculum development in pharmacotherapy: testing the ability of preclinical medical students to learn therapeutic problem solving in a randomized controlled trial. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 61: 345–51., , , , , .
- 20Safe medication practice tutorials: a practical approach to preparing prescribers. Clin Teach 2007; 4: 128–34., , .
- 21Meeting the challenge of prescribing and administering medicines safely: structured teaching and assessment for final year medical students. Med Educ 2003; 37: 434–7., , , , , .
- 22The effect of additional teaching on medical students' drug administration skills in a simulated emergency scenario. Anaesthesia 2006; 61: 1155–60., , , , , , .
- 23The benefit of houseofficer education on proper medication dose calculation and ordering. Acad Emerg Med 2000; 7: 1311–6., , , , , .
- 24The effect of a short tutorial on the incidence of prescribing errors in pediatric emergency care. Can J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 13: e285–91., , , , .
- 25What do graduates think about a two-week rational pharmacotherapy course in the fifth year of medical education? Med Teach 2003; 25: 515–21..
- 26Education in clinical pharmacology at the Rijeka School of Medicine, Croatia. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1998; 54: 685–9., , , .
- 27A novel clinical pharmacy experience for third-year medical students. Can J Clin Pharmacol 2002; 9: 7–16., , , , .
- 28Safe prescribing: an educational intervention for medical students. Teach Learn Med 2006; 18: 244–50., , , , , .
- 29Performance based assessment: lessons from the health professions. Educ Res 1995; 24: 5–11., , .