Drug Burden Index and physical function in older Australian men
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 1, pages 97–105, July 2009
How to Cite
Gnjidic, D., Cumming, R. G., Le Couteur, D. G., Handelsman, D. J., Naganathan, V., Abernethy, D. R. and Hilmer, S. N. (2009), Drug Burden Index and physical function in older Australian men. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 97–105. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03411.x
- Issue online: 16 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
- Received 1 July 2008Accepted18 March 2009
- 1Functional disability and health care expenditures for older persons. Arch Intern Med 2001; 161: 2602–7., , , .
- 2The clinical implications of ageing for rational drug therapy. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 64: 183–99., , .
- 3Clinical pharmacology in the geriatric patient. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2007; 21: 217–30., , .
- 4Aging biology and geriatric clinical pharmacology. Pharmacol Rev 2004; 56: 163–84., .
- 5Updating the Beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults: results of a US consensus panel of experts. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163: 2716–24., , , , , .
- 6Is inappropriate medication use a major cause of adverse drug reactions in the elderly? Br J Clin Pharmacol 2007; 63: 177–86., , , , .
- 7Impact of inappropriate drug use among hospitalized older adults. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2005; 61: 453–9., , , , , .
- 8Impact of inappropriate drug use on mortality and functional status in representative community dwelling elders. Med Care 2002; 40: 166–76., , , , , , , .
- 9Drugs and falls in older people: a systematic review and meta-analysis: I. Psychotropic drugs. J Am Geriatr Soc 1999; 47: 30–9., , .
- 10Benzodiazepines and risk of hip fractures in older people: a review of the evidence. CNS Drugs 2003; 17: 825–37., .
- 11Benzodiazepine use and physical disability in community-dwelling older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006; 54: 224–30., , , , , , , , .
- 12Drugs with anticholinergic properties and cognitive performance in the elderly: results from the PAQUID Study. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2005; 59: 143–51., , , , .
- 13Serum anticholinergic activity in a community-based sample of older adults: relationship with cognitive performance. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003; 60: 198–203., , , , , .
- 14Anticholinergic drugs and physical function among frail elderly population. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2007; 81: 235–41., , , , , , , .
- 15Cumulative anticholinergic exposure is associated with poor memory and executive function in older men. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56: 2203–10., , .
- 16Serum anticholinergic activity and motor performance in elderly persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2007; 62: 83–5., , , , .
- 17A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission. J Gerontol 1994; 49: M85–94., , , , , , , .
- 18Lower extremity performance in nondisabled older persons as a predictor of subsequent hospitalization. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2000; 55: M691–7., , , , , .
- 19A drug burden index to define the functional burden of medications in older people. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167: 781–7., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 20Physical and cognitive performance and burden of anticholinergics, sedatives, and ACE inhibitors in older women. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008; 83: 422–9., , , , , , , , , .
- 21Cohort profile: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project (CHAMP). Int J Epidemiol 2008; 38: 374–8., , , , , , , , .
- 22MIMS Annual 2007. Sydney: CMPMedica Australia, 2007., ed.
- 23Measuring higher level physical function in well-functioning older adults: expanding familiar approaches in the Health ABC study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2001; 56: M644–9., , , , , , .
- 24Lower-extremity function in persons over the age of 70 years as a predictor of subsequent disability. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 556–61., , , , .
- 25The effect of an individualized fall prevention program on fall risk and falls in older people: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005; 53: 1296–304., , , , , , , .
- 26Midlife hand grip strength as a predictor of old age disability. JAMA 1999; 281: 558–60., , , , , , .
- 27Frailty and the older man. Med Clin North Am 1999; 83: 1173–94., .
- 28Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living. Gerontologist 1969; 9: 179–86., .
- 29Mini-mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 1975; 12: 189–98., , .
- 30Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report. J Psychiatr Res 1982; 17: 37–49., , , , , , .
- 31The development of a comorbidity index with physical function as the outcome. J Clin Epidemiol 2005; 58: 595–602., , , .
- 32The problems of anticholinergic adverse effects in older patients. Drugs Aging 1993; 3: 335–48..
- 33Effect of a single dose of diazepam on balance measures in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc 1997; 45: 435–40., , , , .
- 34Sex differences in inappropriate prescribing among elderly veterans. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 2007; 5: 147–61., , , , , , .
- 35The current state of knowledge on age, sex, and their interactions on clinical pharmacology. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2007; 82: 87–96..
- 36Disentangling the roles of disability and morbidity in survival to exceptional old age. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168: 277–83., , , .
- 37Clinical pharmacokinetics of atypical antipsychotics: a critical review of the relationship between plasma concentrations and clinical response. Clin Pharmacokinet 2007; 46: 359–88., , , , , .
- 38Sex differences in opioid analgesia: clinical and experimental findings. Eur J Pain 2004; 8: 413–25., .
- 39Frailty in older men: prevalence, progression, and relationship with mortality. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007; 55: 1216–23., , , , , , .
- 40The relationship between number of medications and weight loss or impaired balance in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004; 52: 1719–23., , .
- 41Meaningful change and responsiveness in common physical performance measures in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006; 54: 743–9., , , .