Medication errors: pharmacovigilance centres in detection and prevention
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 67, Issue 6, pages 687–690, June 2009
How to Cite
Bencheikh, R. S. and Benabdallah, G. (2009), Medication errors: pharmacovigilance centres in detection and prevention. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 67: 687–690. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03426.x
- Issue published online: 25 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2009
- Accepted 18 March 2009
- 1World Health Organization. The Importance of Pharmacovigilance, Safety Monitoring of Medicinal Products. Geneva: WHO, 2002.
- 2WHO Programme for International Drug Monitoring. Available at http://www.who-umc.org/dynpage.aspx?id=13140&mn=1514 (last accessed 2 February 2009).
- 3To Err is Human. Building a Safer Health System. Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1999., , , eds.
- 4Anonymous. The Erice Manifesto. For global reform of the safety of medicines in patient care. Drug Saf 2007; 30: 187–90.
- 5Detecting medication errors in pharmacovigilance database: capacities and limits. Int J Risk Saf Med 2007; 19: 1–8., , .
- 7Medical errors and clinical risk management: state of the art. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2005; 25: 339–46., , , , .
- 8Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Sentinel Event Statistics. Available at http://www.JCAHO.org (accessed 16 April 2001).
- 9Sentinel events. In memory of Ben – a case study. Jt Comm Perspect 1997; 17: 12–5..
- 10Anonymous. Sentinel events: approaches to error reduction and prevention. Jt Comm J Qual Improv 1998; 24: 175–86.
- 12What is Total Quality Control? The Japanese Way. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1985..
- 13Massachusetts Medical Society. Patient safety: conducting a root cause analysis of adverse events. Available at http://www.massmed.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Patient_Safety_Conducting_a_Root_Cause_Analysis_of_Adverse_Events (last accessed 28 February 2009).
- 16Joint Commission. National Patient Safety Goal. Identify and, at a minimum, annually review a list of look-alike/ sound-alike drugs used in the organization, and take action to prevent errors involving the interchange of these drugs. Available at http://www.jointcommission.org/NR/rdonlyres/C92AAB3F-A9BD-431C-8628-11DD2D1D53CC/0/lasa.pdf (last accessed 2 February 2009).
- 18Royaume de Maroc. Ministère de la Santé. Bonnes pratiques de pharmacovigilance. Centre Marocain de Pharmacovigilance, 28 Janvier 2004. Available at http://www.capm.ma/sources_site_capm/pv_site_capm/1_BONNES%20PRATIQUES%20DE%20PHARMACOVIGILANCE_MAROC.pdf (last accessed 28 February 2009).