Gastric mucosal injury in systemic lupus erythematosus patients receiving pulse methylprednisolone therapy
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 252–259, August 2009
How to Cite
Luo, J.-C., Chang, F.-Y., Chen, T.-S., Ng, Y.-Y., Lin, H.-C., Lu, C.-L., Chen, C.-Y., Lin, H.-Y. and Lee, S.-D. (2009), Gastric mucosal injury in systemic lupus erythematosus patients receiving pulse methylprednisolone therapy. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 252–259. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03445.x
- Issue published online: 7 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2009
- Received 8 November 2008Accepted 25 March 2009
- 1The potential risk factors leading to peptic ulcer formation in autoimmune disease patients receiving corticosteroid treatment. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002; 16: 1241–8., , , , , , , .
- 2Nonassociation of adrenocorticosteroid therapy and peptic ulcer. N Engl J Med 1976; 294: 473–9., .
- 3Association of adrenocorticosteroid therapy and peptic-ulcer disease. N Engl J Med 1983; 309: 21–4., , , , .
- 4Steroid and risk of upper gastrointestinal complications. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 153: 1089–93., .
- 5Dexamethasone makes the gastric mucosa susceptible to ulceration by inhibiting prostaglandin synthetase and peroxidase – two important gastroprotective enzymes. Mol Cell Biochem 1999; 202: 31–6., , , , .
- 6Downregulation of gastric mucin gene expression and its biosynthesis by dexamethasone in the human. J Clin Gastroenterol 1998; 27 (Suppl. 1): S91–6., , .
- 7Non-ulcerogenic dose of dexamethasone delays gastric ulcer healing in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2003; 307: 692–8., , , , , , .
- 8Dexamethasone delays ulcer healing by inhibition of angiogenesis in rat stomachs. Eur J Pharmacol 2004; 485: 275–81., , , , , , , .
- 9Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs gastropathy. Gastroenterology 2000; 119: 521–35..
- 10NSAID-induced gastric damage in rats: requirement for inhibition of both cyclooxygenase 1 and 2. Gastroenterology 2000; 119: 706–14., , , .
- 11Mechanisms of ulcer healing and effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Am J Med 1998; 104: 43S–53S..
- 12Effects of specific inhibition of cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2 in the rat stomach with normal mucosa and after acid challenge. Br J Pharmacol 2001; 132: 1565–73., , , , .
- 13Intravenous pulse of methylprednisolone for systemic lupus erythematous. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2003; 32: 370–7., .
- 14Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of systemically administered glucocorticoids. Clin Pharmacokinet 2005; 44: 61–98., , , .
- 15Influence of aspirin on the clinical outcome of 103 anti-phospholipid antibodies-positive patients. Lupus 2008; 17: 11–5., , , , , , , , , .
- 16Risk factors for thrombosis and primary thrombosis prevention in patients with systemic lupus erythematous with or without antiphospholipid antibodies. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 61: 29–36., , , .
- 17Updating the American College of Rheumatology Revised Criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1997; 40: 1725..
- 18Effects of very low dose daily, long-term aspirin therapy on gastric, duodenal, and rectal prostaglandin levels and on mucosal injury in healthy humans. Gastroenterology 1999; 117: 17–25., .
- 19A comparative endoscopic evaluation of the damaging effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents on the gastric and duodenal mucosa. Am J Gastroenterol 1981; 75: 17–21., , , , , .
- 20Rofecoxib, a COX-2 inhibitor, does not inhibit human gastric mucosal prostaglandin production. Gastroenterology 2001; 120: 867–73., , , , , , , , , , .
- 21Glucocorticoid-induced gastric mucosal damage: inhibition of leukotriene, but not prostaglandin biosynthesis. Prostaglandins 1987; 34: 311–23..
- 22The effect of single-dose naproxen on eicosanoid formation in human gastroduodenal mucosa. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 23: 155–67., , , , , .
- 23Repeated assessment of methylprednisolone pharmacokinetics during chronic immunosuppression in renal transplant recipients. Ann Pharmacol 1995; 29: 120–4., , .
- 24Corticosteroid pulse therapy in active rheumatoid arthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1993; 23: 183–92., , .
- 25Corticoid use and peptic ulcer disease: role of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Ann Intern Med 1991; 114: 735–40., , , .
- 26Role of Helicobacter pylori and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in peptic ulcer disease: a meta-analysis. Lancet 2002; 359: 14–22., , .
- 27Gastric adaptation. Studies in humans during continuous aspirin administration. Gastroenterology 1988; 85: 327–33., , , .