Pharmacotherapy for obesity
Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 804–810, December 2009
How to Cite
Li, M. and Cheung, B. M. Y. (2009), Pharmacotherapy for obesity. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 804–810. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03453.x
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2009
- Received 12 January 2009 Accepted24 April 2009
- 1Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. JAMA 2003; 289: 76–9., , , , , , .
- 2The obesity epidemic, metabolic syndrome and future prevention strategies. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2004; 11: 3–8., , .
- 3Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. JAMA 2006; 295: 1549–55., , , , , .
- 4Obesity as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: a 26-year follow-up of participants in the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation 1983; 67: 968–77., , , .
- 5Impairment of health and quality of life in people with large waist circumference. Lancet 1998; 351: 853–6., , .
- 6Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 790–7., , , , , , .
- 7Trends in waist circumference among U.S. adults. Obes Res 2003; 11: 1223–31., , .
- 8World Health Organization. Obesity: Preventing and managing the global epidemic. (Report of a WHO Consultation on Obesity, Geneva, 3–5 June 1997). Geneva: WHO, 1998.
- 9Human body composition and the epidemiology of chronic disease. Obes Res 1995; 3: 73–95., , .
- 10Pharmacologic and surgical management of obesity in primary care: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 525–31., , , , .
- 11Efficacy and safety of low-carbohydrate diets: a systematic review. JAMA 2003; 289: 1837–50., , , , , , .
- 12A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 2074–81., , , , , , , , , .
- 13A low carbohydrate,ketogenic diet versus a low-fat diet to treat obesity and hyperlipidemia: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 2004; 140: 769–77., , , , .
- 14Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2111–20., , , , , , , , , .
- 15Beneficial health effects of modest weight loss. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1992; 16: 397–415..
- 16The beneficial effects of modest weight loss on cardiovascular risk factors. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1997; 21: s5–9., , .
- 17Weight management and current options in pharmacotherapy: orlistat and sibutramine. Clinical Therapeutics 2003; 25: 58–80., , , .
- 18Drug insight: appetite suppressants. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 2: 89–95..
- 19Safety of drug therapies used for weight loss and treatment of obesity. Drug Saf 2006; 29: 277–302., , , .
- 20Use and abuse of appetite-suppressant drugs in the treatment of obesity. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119: 707–13..
- 21Pharmacotherapy for obesity: a quantitative analysis of four decades of published randomized clinical trials. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002; 26: 262–73., , , , .
- 22A comparative study of phentermine and diethylpropion in the treatment of obese patients in general practice. Pharmatherapeutica 1983; 3: 300–4., , , , .
- 23Valvular heart disease associated with fenfluramine-phentermine. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 581–8., , , , , , .
- 24Meta-analysis pharmacologic treatment of obesity. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 532–46., , , , , , , , , , .
- 25An assessment of the safety and efficacy of sibutramine, an anti-obesity drug with a novel mechanism of action. Obes Rev 2000; 1: 127–39., .
- 26The efficacy and safety of sibutramine for weight loss: a systematic review. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 994–1003., , .
- 27Sibutramine. A review of its contribution to the management of obesity. Drugs 1998; 56: 1093–124., .
- 28Influence of sibutramine on blood pressure: evidence from placebo-controlled trials. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2005; 29: 509–16., , , , , .
- 29Effects of sibutramine plus verapamil sustained release/trandolapril combination on blood pressure and metabolic variables in obese hypertensive patients. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9: 1629–39., , , , , , .
- 30Influence of sibutramine treatment on sympathetic vasomotor tone in obese subjects. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2006; 79: 500–8., , , , , , , , , .
- 31SCOUT Investigators. Cardiovascular responses to weight management and sibutramine in high-risk subjects: an analysis from the SCOUT trial. Eur Heart J 2007; 28: 2915–23., , , , , , , , , , ;
- 32Fighting obesity and associated risk factors by antagonizing cannabinoid type 1 receptors. Lancet 2005; 365: 1363–4., .
- 33European Medicines Agency. The European Medicines Agency recommends suspension of the marketing authorization of Acomplia. [press release] Oct 23, 2008. Available at: http://www.emea.europa.eu (Doc. Ref.: EMEA/CHMP/537777/2008).
- 34The endocannabinoid system and its therapeutic exploitation. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2004; 3: 771–84., , .
- 35for the RIO-Europe Study Group. Effects of the cannabinoid-1 receptor blocker rimonabant on weight reduction and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight patients: 1-year experience from the RIO-Europe study. Lancet 2005; 365: 1389–97., , , , ,
- 36for RIO-North America Study Group. Effect of rimonabant, a cannabinoid-1 receptor blocker, on weight and cardiometabolic risk factors in overweight or obese patients: RIO-North America: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2006; 295: 761–75., , , , ,
- 37Rimonabant in Obesity-Lipids Study Group. Effects of rimonabant on metabolic risk factors in overweight patients with dyslipidemia. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2121–34., , ,
- 38RIO-Diabetes Study Group. Efficacy and tolerability of rimonabant in overweight or obese patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled study. Lancet 2006; 368: 1660–72., , , , ;
- 39Rimonabant for the treatment of obesity. Recent Pat Cardiovas Drug Discov 2008; 3: 187–93., , , .
- 40Mode of action of orlistat. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1997; 21: s12–23..
- 41Retrospective population-based analysis of the dose-response (fecal fat excretion) relationship of orlistat in normal and obese volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1994; 56: 82–5., , , , , , .
- 42US Food and Drug Administration. FDA approves orlistat for obesity. [press announcement] Febuary 7, 2007. Available at http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01557.html.
- 43XENical in the prevention of diabetes in obese subjects (XENDOS) study: a randomized study of orlistat as an adjunct to lifestyle changes for the prevention of type 2 diabetes in obese patients. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 155–61., , , .
- 44Effect of weight loss on blood pressure, arterial compliance, and insulin resistance in normotensive obese subjects. Am J Med Sci 2005; 330: 157–60., , , , .
- 45Effect of orlistat in obese patients with heart failure: a pilot study. Congest Heart Fail 2005; 11: 118–23., , , , .
- 46Orlistat in the treatment of overweight or obese Chinese patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Diabetic Med 2005; 22: 1737–43., , , .
- 47Effect of orlistat on weight and body composition in obese adolescents: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2005; 293: 2873–83., , , , .
- 48Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of orlistat for weight loss in adolescents. Endocr Pract 2006; 12: 18–28., , , , , , .
- 49Review of anti-obesity medications currently under development. Am J Bar Med 2000; 15: 16–23..
- 50The obesity pipeline: current strategies in the development of anti-obesity drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2006; 5: 919–31., .
- 51Antiobesity efficacy of a novel cannabinoid-1 receptor inverse agonist, N-[(1S,2S)-3-(4-chlorophenyl)-2-(3-cyanophenyl)-1-methylpropyl]-2-methyl-2-[[5-(trifluoromethyl)pyridin-2-yl]oxy]propanamide (MK-0364), in rodents. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2007; 321: 1013–22., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 52Anti-obesity therapies. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2006; 5: 369–70., .
- 53Antidiabetic medications in overweight/obese patients with type 2 diabetes: drawbacks of current drugs and potential advantages of incretin-based treatment on body weight. Int J Clin Pract Suppl 2007; 154: 19–28..
- 54Obesity: new perspectives and pharmacotherapies. Cardiol Rev 2006; 14: 238–58., , , .
- 55LEAD-3 (Mono) Study Group. Liraglutide vs glimepiride monotherapy for type 2 diabetes (LEAD-3 Mono): a randomized, 52-week, phase III, double-blind, parallel-treatment trial. Lancet 2009; 373: 473–81., , , , , , , , ;