Detailed analyses of self-poisoning episodes presenting to a large regional teaching hospital in the UK
Article first published online: 15 MAY 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 260–268, August 2009
How to Cite
Prescott, K., Stratton, R., Freyer, A., Hall, I. and Le Jeune, I. (2009), Detailed analyses of self-poisoning episodes presenting to a large regional teaching hospital in the UK. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 260–268. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03458.x
- Issue published online: 7 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 15 MAY 2009
- Received 12 August 2008Accepted 18 April 2009
- 1Department of Health. National suicide prevention strategy for England. London: Department of Health Publications, 2002.
- 2Prevention of suicide: aspirations and evidence. BMJ 1994; 308: 1227–33., .
- 3Self-harm in England: a tale of three cities. Multicentre study of self-harm. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2007; 42: 513–21., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 4Admissions to hospital for deliberate self-harm in England 1995–2000: an analysis of hospital episode statistics. J Public Health Med 2002; 24: 179–83., , , , , .
- 5Management of deliberate self-poisoning in adults in four teaching hospitals: descriptive study. BMJ 1998; 316: 831–2., , , , , .
- 6Deaths from all causes in a long-term follow-up study of 11,583 deliberate self-harm patients. Psychol Med 2006; 36: 397–405., , .
- 7Department of Health. Saving Lives: Our Healthier Nation. London: Department of Health Publications, 1999.
- 8Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm. Systematic review. Br J Psychiatry 2002; 181: 193–9., , .
- 9Poisons admissions in Edinburgh 1981–2001: agent trends and predictors of hospital readmissions. Hum Exp Toxicol 2007; 26: 49–57., , , .
- 10Changing patterns of self-poisoning in a UK health district. QJM 1996; 89: 893–901., , , , , , .
- 11Trends in self-poisoning: admissions to a central London hospital, 1991–1994. J R Soc Med 1997; 90: 496–8..
- 12The epidemiology of self-poisoning in the UK. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2003; 56: 613–9., , .
- 13Monitoring deliberate self-harm presentations to general hospitals. Crisis 2006; 27: 157–63., , , , , .
- 14A survey of admissions following self-poisoning. Psychiatric Bulletin 2005; 29: 305–8..
- 15The epidemiology and management of self-harm amongst adults in England. J Public Health (Oxf) 2005; 27: 67–73., , , , .
- 16Changes in paracetamol, antidepressants and opioid poisoning in Scotland during the 1990s. QJM 2003; 96: 125–32., , , .
- 17Substances used in deliberate self-poisoning 1985–1997: trends and associations with age, gender, repetition and suicide intent. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2001; 36: 228–34., , , , .
- 18Paracetamol self-poisoning. Characteristics, prevention and harm reduction. Br J Psychiatry 1996; 168: 43–8., , , , , , .
- 19Why patients choose paracetamol for self-poisoning and their knowledge of its dangers. BMJ 1995; 310: 164., , , , , , .
- 20Change in occurrence of paracetamol overdose in UK after introduction of blister packs. Lancet 2000; 355: 2048–9., , .
- 21Committee on Safety of Medicines; Medicines Control Agency. Paracetamol and aspirin. Current Problems in Pharmacovigilance 1997; 23: 9.
- 22Trends in deliberate self-harm in Oxford, 1985–1995. Implications for clinical services and the prevention of suicide. Br J Psychiatry 1997; 171: 556–60., , , , .
- 23Impact of restricting paracetamol pack sizes on paracetamol poisoning in the United Kingdom: a review of the literature. Drug Saf 2007; 30: 465–79., , .
- 24Reduction in incidence of severe paracetamol poisoning. Lancet 2000; 355: 2047–8., , , .
- 25How has legislation restricting paracetamol pack size affected patterns of deprivation related inequalities in self-harm in Scotland? Public Health 2007; 121: 45–50., , , , .
- 26Effects of legislation restricting pack sizes of paracetamol and salicylate on self-poisoning in the United Kingdom: before and after study. BMJ 2001; 322: 1203–7., , , , , , .
- 27UK legislation on analgesic packs: before and after study of long term effect on poisonings. BMJ 2004; 329: 1076., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 28Legislation restricting paracetamol sales and patterns of self-harm and death from paracetamol-containing preparations in Scotland. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 62: 573–81., , , , , .
- 29British National Formulary. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 2008.