Short term effects of spironolactone on blood lipid profile: a 3-month study on a cohort of young women with hirsutism
Article first published online: 26 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 634–637, October 2009
How to Cite
Nakhjavani, M., Hamidi, S., Esteghamati, A., Abbasi, M., Nosratian-Jahromi, S. and Pasalar, P. (2009), Short term effects of spironolactone on blood lipid profile: a 3-month study on a cohort of young women with hirsutism. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 634–637. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03483.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 26 JUN 2009
- Received 15 December 2008Accepted 18 June 2009
- 1The evolution of aldosterone antagonists. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2004; 217: 27–31., .
- 2Diagnostic criteria for polycystic ovary syndrome: towards a rational approach. In: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, eds DunaifA, GivensJR, HaseltineF. Boston, MA: Blackwell Scientific, 1992; 377–84., .
- 3The effects of spironolactone on adrenal steroidogenesis in hirsute women. Fertil Steril 1985; 44: 595–9., .
- 4Therapeutic effects of spironolactone in polycystic ovary syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 1983; 61: 429–32., , .
- 5The effect of spironolactone on lipid, glucose and uric acid levels in blood during long-term administration to hypertensives. Acta Med Scand 1983; 213: 27–30., .
- 6Efficacy and tolerance of spironolactone in essential hypertension. Am J Cardiol 1987; 60: 820–5., , , , , , , .
- 7Spironolactone in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome: effects on clinical features, insulin sensitivity and lipid profile. J Endocrinol Invest 2005; 28: 49–53., , , , , , .
- 8On the inhibitory action of 29 drugs having side effect gynecomastia on estrogen production. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2002; 82: 209–16., , , , , .
- 9Effects of estradiol and norethisterone on lipids, insulin resistance and carotid flow. Maturitas 2008; 59: 249–58., , , , , .
- 10Clinical and biochemical effects of spironolactone administered once daily in primary hypertension. Multicenter Sweden study. Hypertension 1980; 2: 672–9., , , , , , , .
- 11Serum cholesterol during treatment of hypertension with diuretic drugs. Arch Intern Med 1984; 144: 710–4., .
- 12Hirsutism: metabolic effects of two commonly used oral contraceptives and spironolactone. Contraception 1991; 44: 113–24., , , .
- 13Hydrochlorothiazide versus spironolactone: long-term metabolic modifications in patients with essential hypertension. J Clin Pharmacol 1991; 31: 455–61., , , , , .
- 14Comparison of four different treatment regimes in hirsutism related to polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol 1996; 10: 249–55., , , .
- 15The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure. Randomized Aldactone Evaluation Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 709–17., , , , , , , .