Served as partial requirement for the MD degree of the Hebrew University and Hadassah Medical School.
Pregnancy outcome, thyroid dysfunction and fetal goitre after in utero exposure to propylthiouracil: a controlled cohort study
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 609–617, October 2009
How to Cite
Rosenfeld, H., Ornoy, A., Shechtman, S. and Diav-Citrin, O. (2009), Pregnancy outcome, thyroid dysfunction and fetal goitre after in utero exposure to propylthiouracil: a controlled cohort study. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 609–617. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03495.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2009
- Received 18 March 2009Accepted6 July 2009
- 1Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 18: 267–88..
- 2Graves' disease. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 1236–48..
- 3Maternal and perinatal outcome in thyrotoxicosis complicating pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1994; 54: 159–63., , , , .
- 4Low birth weight and preeclampsia in pregnancies complicated by hyperthyroidism. Obstet Gynecol 1994; 84: 946–9., , , , , .
- 5Thyrotoxicosis complicating pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989; 160: 63–70., , , , .
- 6Methimazole and propylthiouracil equally cross the perfused human term placental lobule. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997; 82: 3099–102., , , , , .
- 7Teratogen update: antithyroid drugs – methimazole, carbimazole, and propylthiouracil. Teratology 2002; 65: 38–44., .
- 8Methimazole embryopathy: delineation of the phenotype. Am J Med Genet 1999; 83: 43–6., , , , , .
- 9Adverse effects of prenantal methimazole exposure. Teratology 2001; 64: 262–6., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 10Therapeutic drug monitoring of antithyroid drugs in pregnancy: the knowledge gaps. Ther Drug Monit 2006; 28: 12–3., .
- 11Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: a Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk, 8th edn. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008; 1550–2., , .
- 12A comparison of propylthiouracil versus methimazole in the treatment of hyperthyroidism in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994; 170: 90–5., , , , .
- 13Thyroid dysfunction in pregnancy. Fetal loss and follow-up evaluation of surviving infants. N Engl J Med 1962; 267: 426–31., , , .
- 14Hyperthyroidism during pregnancy. N Engl J Med 1965; 273: 627–33., .
- 15Treatment of hyperthyroidism in pregnancy with propylthiouracil and methimazole. Obstet Gynecol 1975; 46: 282–6., .
- 16Neonatal thyroid function after propylthiouracil therapy for maternal Graves' disease. N Engl J Med 1981; 304: 525–8., , , ,
- 17Birth Defects and Drugs in Pregnancy. Littleton, MA: Publishing Sciences Group, 1977; 388–400., , .
- 18Hyperthyroidism during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1970; 36: 779–85., , , .
- 19Hyperthyroidism associated with pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1974; 44: 107–16., , .
- 20Management of thyrotoxicosis in pregnancy. Int J Clin Pract 1998; 52: 36–8., .
- 21The Developing Human; Clinically Oriented Embryology, 4th edn. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co., 1988..
- 22Maternal and fetal thyroid function. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1072–8., , .
- 23Goiter in newborn infant due to mother's ingestion of propylthiouracil. JAMA 1955; 159: 848–50., , .
- 24Rapid resolution of fetal goiter associated with maternal Grave's disease: a case report. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000; 54: 59–62., .
- 25Pregnancy outcome after in utero exposure to valproate: evidence of dose relationship in teratogenic effect. CNS Drugs 2008; 22: 325–34., , , , , .
- 26Need for inclusion and exclusion criteria for the structural abnormalities recorded in children born from exposed pregnancies (editorial). Teratology 1999; 59: 1–2..
- 27Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 13th edn. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co., 1987., .
- 28Recurrent (habitual) abortions: incidence, epidemiology and possible prevention. In: Issues and Reviews in Teratology, Vol. 7, ed. KalterH. New York: Plenum Press, 1994; 139–74., .
- 29HankinsGDV, ClarkSL. Williams Obstetrics, 20th edn. East Norwich, CT: Appleton & Lange, 1997., , , , ,
- 30Fetal and neonatal thyroid function in relation to maternal Graves' disease. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 18: 289–302., , , , , , , , , .
- 31The relationship between maternal serum thyroid-stimulating immunoglobulin and fetal and neonatal thyrotoxicosis. Obstet Gynecol 2002; 99: 1040–3., , , .
- 32Effects of propylthiouracil and methimazol on fetal thyroid status in mothers with Graves hyperthyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997; 82: 3633–6., , , .
- 33Serial in utero ultrasonographic measurements of the fetal thyroid: a new complementary tool in the management of maternal hyperthyroidism in pregnancy. Prenat Diagn 2003; 23: 740–2., , , , , .
- 34Management of Graves' disease during pregnancy: the key role of fetal thyroid gland monitoring. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 6093–8., , , , , , , , , , , , , , .