Authors' contributions: M.J.S.L., K.K.C. and M.D.G. designed the study. K.J., P.B. and M.V.B. co-ordinated the day-to-day management. K.J. undertook the analysis. M.J.S.L. and K.J. drafted the manuscript. All authors sat on a study management committee, commented upon the manuscript and approved the final draft. M.J.S.L. is the guarantor.
Sudden death in patients receiving drugs tending to prolong the QT interval
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 743–751, November 2009
How to Cite
Jolly, K., Gammage, M. D., Cheng, K. K., Bradburn, P., Banting, M. V. and Langman, M. J. S. (2009), Sudden death in patients receiving drugs tending to prolong the QT interval. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 743–751. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03496.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2009
- Received 1 April 2009Accepted6 July 2009
- 1How sudden is sudden cardiac death? Circulation 2006; 114: 1146–50., , .
- 2Risk factors for sudden cardiac death in middle-aged British men. Circulation 1995; 91: 1749–56., , , .
- 3Drug-induced prolongation of the QT interval. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1013–22..
- 4Non-cardiac QTc-prolonging drugs and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Eur Heart J 2005; 26: 2007–12., , , , , , , .
- 5Antipsychotics and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 1293–7., , , , , , , .
- 6Antipsychotics and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001; 58: 1161–6., , , , , .
- 7Antipsychotic drug use and mortality in older adults with dementia. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 775–86., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 8Oral erythromycin and the risk of sudden death from cardiac causes. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 1089–96., , , , , .
- 9Centre for Education and Research on Therapeutics. QT drug lists by risk groups. Available at http://www.azcert.org/medical-pros/drug-lists/drug-lists.cfm (last accessed 4 August 2009).
- 10Clinical classification of cardiac deaths. Circulation 1982; 65: 457–64., .
- 11Home Office. Reforming the Coroner and death certification service: a position paper. Home Office. March 2004. Available at http://www.archive2.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm61/6159/6159.pdf (last accessed 3 August 2009).
- 12British National formulary, 55: 179–276. London: BMJ Group and RPS Publishing, 2008.
- 13Thioridazine and sudden unexplained death in psychiatric in-patients. Br J Psychiatry 2002; 180: 515–22., , , , .
- 14Antipsychotic drugs: prolonged QTc interval, torsade de pointes, and sudden death. Am J Psychiatry 2001; 158: 1774–82., .
- 15A comparison of the receptor binding and HERG channel affinities for a series of antipsychotic drugs. Eur J Pharmacol 2002; 450: 37–41., , , , .
- 16Effects of intramuscular olanzapine vs. haloperidol and placebo on QTc intervals in acutely agitated patients. Psychiatry Res 2003; 119: 113–23., , , .
- 17Differential effect of HERG blocking agents on cardiac alternans in the guinea pig. Eur J Pharmacol 2004; 486: 209–21., , , , , , .
- 18Conventional and atypical antipsychotics and the risk of hospitalisation for ventricular arrhythmias or cardiac arrest. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165: 696–701., , , , , , .
- 19Blockade of the HERG human cardiac (K+) channel by the antidepressant drug amitryptiline. Br J Pharmacol 2000; 129: 1474–80., , , , .
- 20Psychotropic drugs, cardiac arrhythmia, and sudden death. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2003; 23: 58–77., , .
- 21Cyclic antidepressants and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004; 75: 234–41., , , , .
- 22Risperidone prolongs cardiac repolarization by blocking the rapid component of the delayed rectifier potassium current. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2003; 41: 934–7., , , , .
- 23Olanzapine prolongs cardiac repolarisation by blocking the rapid component of the delayed rectifier potassium current. J Psychopharmacol 2007; 21: 735–41., , , , , .
- 24Blockade of HERG human K channels and IKr of guinea-pig cardiomyocytes by the antipsychotic drug clozapine. Br J Pharmacol 2006; 149: 481–9., , , , .
- 25Risk of death in elderly users of conventional vs. atypical antipsychotic medications. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2335–41., , , , , , .
- 26Antipsychotic medication dispensing and risk of death in veterans and war widows 65 years and older. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007; 15: 932–41., , , , , .
- 27Risk of death with atypical antipsychotic drug treatment for dementia: meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. JAMA 2005; 294: 1934–43., , .
- 28Cardiac arrest and ventricular arrhythmia in patients taking antipsychotic drugs: cohort study using administrative data. BMJ 2002; 325: 1070., , , , , , , , .
- 29Atypical antipsychotic drugs and the risk of sudden cardiac death. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 225–35., , , , .
- 30Depression and risk of sudden cardiac death and coronary heart disease in women. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 950–8., , , , , , , .
- 31A randomized evaluation of the effects of six antipsychotic agents on QTc, in the absence and presence of metabolic inhibition. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2004; 24: 62–9., , , , , , , , .
- 32Electrocardiographic effects of fluoxetine and doxepin in patients with major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1997; 17: 15–21., , , , , , .
- 33Cardiac safety of citalopram: prospective trials and retrospective analyses. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999; 19: 407–15., , .
- 34Hemodynamic and electrocardiographic effects of fluoxetine and its major metabolite, norfluoxetine, in anesthetised dogs. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1986; 82: 70–9., , , , .
- 35Electrophysiological effects of fluoxetine in mammalian cardiac tissues. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 2000; 361: 67–73., , , , , , , , .
- 36Cardiovascular changes associated with venlafaxine in the treatment of late-life depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2006; 14: 796–802., , , , , , .
- 37Inhibition of the HERG potassium channel by the tricyclic antidepressant doxepin. Biochem Pharmacol 2007; 74: 425–37., , , , , , , , .
- 38Blockade of HERG potassium currents by fluvoxamine: incomplete attenuation by S6 mutations at F656 or Y652. Br J Pharmacol 2003; 139: 887–98., , , , .
- 39Combined hERG channel inhibition and disruption of trafficking in induced long QT syndrome by fluoxetine: a case study in cardiac safety pharmacology. Br J Pharmacol 2006; 149: 457–9., .
- 40Inhibitory actions of the selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor citalopram on HERG and ventricular L-type calcium currents. FEBS Lett 2002; 512: 59–66., , , , .
- 41Electrical alternans and hemodynamics in the anesthetized guinea pig can discriminate the cardiac safety of antidepressants. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 2007; 55: 78–85., , , , , , , .
- 42Sudden unexpected cardiac or unexplained death in England: a national survey. Q J Med 2003; 96: 269–79., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 43Determinants of prolonged QT interval and their contribution to sudden cardiac death risk in coronary artery disease: the Oregon Sudden Unexpected Death Study. Circulation 2009; 119: 663–70., , , , , , , , .
- 44Adjusting for multiple testing – when and how? J Clin Epidemiol 2001; 54: 343–9., .
- 45Sex differences in cardiac vagal control in a depressed sample: implications for differential cardiovascular mortality. Biol Psychol 2007; 75: 32–5., .
- 46Phobic anxiety, depression, and risk of ventricular arrhythmias in patients with coronary heart disease. Psychosom Med 2006; 68: 651–6., , , , , .