The effect of allopurinol on the cerebral vasculature of patients with subcortical stroke; a randomized trial
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 662–668, November 2009
How to Cite
Dawson, J., Quinn, T. J., Harrow, C., Lees, K. R. and Walters, M. R. (2009), The effect of allopurinol on the cerebral vasculature of patients with subcortical stroke; a randomized trial. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 662–668. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03497.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2009
- Received 10 April 2009Accepted6 July 2009
- 1A prospective community-based study of Stroke in Germany – The Erlangen Stroke Project (espro) incidence and case fatality at 1, 3, and 12 months. Stroke 1998; 29: 2501–6., , , , , , , , , .
- 2Uric acid and xanthine oxidase: future therapeutic targets in the prevention of cardiovascular disease? Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 62: 633–44., .
- 3Serum urate as an independent predictor of poor outcome and future vascular events after acute stroke. Stroke 2003; 34: 1951–6., , , .
- 4Investigation into the sources of superoxide in human blood vessels: angiotensin II increases superoxide production in human internal mammary arteries. Circulation 2000; 9: 2206–12., , , , , , .
- 5Uric acid reduction: a new paradigm in the management of cardiovascular risk? Curr Med Chem 2007; 14: 1879–86., , .
- 6Monocyte-derived multinucleated giant cells and sarcoidosis. J Dermatological Sci 2003; 31: 119–28., , .
- 7Allopurinol use yields potentially beneficial effects on inflammatory indices in those with recent ischemic stroke; a randomised, double blind placebo controlled trial. Stroke 2008; 39: 3303–7., , , , , , .
- 8Allopurinol treatment reduces arterial wave reflection in stroke survivors. Cardiovasc Ther 2008; 26: 247–52., , , , , .
- 9Allopurinol and nitric oxide activity in the cerebral circulation of those with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 135–7., , , , , , .
- 10Cerebrovascular reactivity and subcortical infarctions. Arch Neurol 2001; 58: 577–81., , , , .
- 11Acetazolamide as a vasodilatory stimulus in cerebrovascular diseases and in conditions affecting the cerebral vasculature. Eur J Neurol 2003; 10: 609–20., , , , , , .
- 12Noninvasive assessment of Co-2-induced cerebral vasomotor response in normal individuals and patients with internal carotid-artery occlusions. Stroke 1988; 19: 963–9., , , , .
- 13Effect of Angiotensin Converting-Enzyme-Inhibitor (Captopril) on cerebral blood-flow in hypertensive patients without a history of stroke. Clin Exp Hypertens A 1987; 9: 551–7., , , , , .
- 14Reduced vasomotor reactivity in cerebral microangiopathy – a study with near-infrared spectroscopy and transcranial Doppler sonography. Stroke 2000; 31: 924–9., , , .
- 15Pravastatin improves cerebral vasomotor reactivity in patients with subcortical small-vessel disease. Stroke 2001; 32: 2817–20., , , , , .
- 16Effect of perindopril on cerebral vasomotor reactivity in patients with lacunar infarction. Stroke 2004; 35: 1899–902., , , .
- 17Distinct and combined vascular effects of ACE blockade and HMG-CoA reductase inhibition in hypertensive subjects. Hypertension 1999; 33: 719–25., , , , , , .
- 18Cerebrovascular reactivity over time course in healthy subjects. J Neurol Sci 2006; 249: 135–9., , , , , .
- 19Uric acid and endothelial dysfunction in essential hypertension. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006; 17: 1466–71., , , , .
- 20Uric acid is closely linked to vascular nitric oxide activity. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 38: 1850–8., .
- 21Impact of oxypurinol in patients with symptomatic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 2301–9., , , , , , , , , .
- 22Allopurinol reduces B-type natriuretic peptide concentrations and haemoglobin but does not alter exercise capacity in chronic heart failure. Heart 2005; 91: 749–53., .
- 23Effect of hyperuricemia upon endothelial function in patients at increased cardiovascular risk. Am J Cardiol 2004; 94: 932–5., , , , , , .
- 24Xanthine oxidase inhibition for chronic heart failure: is allopurinol the next therapeutic advance in heart failure? Heart 2005; 91: 707–9., .
- 25High-dose allopurinol improves endothelial function by profoundly reducing vascular oxidative stress and not by lowering uric acid. Circulation 2006; 114: 2508–16., , , , .
- 26Cerebral vasoreactivity assessed with transcranial Doppler and regional cerebral blood-flow measurements – dose, serum concentration, and time-course of the response to acetazolamide. Stroke 1995; 26: 2302–6., , , , .
- 27Time course of acetazolamide effect in normal persons. J Neuroimaging 1996; 6: 29–31., , , , , .
- 28Effects of external pH on ionic currents in smooth-muscle cells from the basilar artery of the guinea-pig. Circ Res 1992; 71: 201–9., , .
- 29Acute effects of acetazolamide on cerebral blood-flow in man. Acta Physiol Scand 1983; 117: 233–9., , .
- 30Evaluation of L-arginine reactivity in comparison with flow-mediated dilatation and intima-media thickness. Ultrasound Med Biol 2007; 33: 1546–51., , , .
- 31Influence of atorvastatin treatment on l-arginine cerebrovascular reactivity and flow-mediated dilatation in patients with lacunar infarctions. Stroke 2006; 37: 2540–5., , , , .