P.G. present address: Dunedin School of Medicine, Dunedin, New Zealand.
Influence of CYP2C19 polymorphism on the pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir and its active metabolite
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2009
© 2009 Pfizer, Inc.. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 682–689, November 2009
How to Cite
Damle, B. D., Uderman, H., Biswas, P., Crownover, P., Lin, C. and Glue, P. (2009), Influence of CYP2C19 polymorphism on the pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir and its active metabolite. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 682–689. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03499.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2009
- Received 17 July 2008Accepted1 July 2009
- 1Viracept® (nelfinavir mesylate). US Package Insert, Pfizer Inc., July 2007.
- 2Nelfinavir: a review of its use in the management of HIV infection. Drugs 2005; 65: 2209–44., , , , .
- 3Conversion of the HIV protease inhibitor nelfinavir to a bioactive metabolite by human liver CYP2C19. Drug Metab Dispos 2004; 32: 1462–67., , .
- 4Circulating metabolites of the human immunodeficiency virus protease inhibitor nelfinavir in humans: structural identification, levels in plasma, and antiviral activities. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2001; 45: 1086–93., , , , , , , , , .
- 5Clinical significance of the cytochrome P4502C19 genetic polymorphism. Clin Pharmacokinet 2002; 41: 913–58., , , .
- 6The CYP2C19 enzyme polymorphism. Pharmacology 2000; 61: 174–83..
- 7Pharmacogenetics of long-term responses to antiretroviral regimens containing efavirenz and/or nelfinavir: an Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group Study. J Infect Dis 2005; 192: 1931–42., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 8The effect of the CYP2C19*2 heterozygote genotype on the pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 62: 250–2., , , .
- 9the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. Response to antiretroviral treatment in HIV-1-infected individuals with allelic variants of the multidrug resistance transporter 1: a pharmacogenetics study. Lancet 2002; 359: 30–6., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , for
- 10COPHAR2-ANRS Study Group. Effect of CYP2C19 polymorphism on nelfinavir to M8 biotransformation in HIV patients. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 65: 548–57., , , , , , , ,
- 11An MDR1-3435 variant is associated with higher plasma nelfinavir levels and more rapid virologic response in HIV-1 infected children. AIDS 2005; 19: 371–80., , , , , , , .
- 12Effects of standard and supratherapeutic doses of nelfinavir on cardiac repolarization: a thorough QT study. J Clin Pharmacol 2009; 49: 291–300., , , , , , .
- 13E14 Implementation Working Group Questions & Answers. June 4, 2008. Available at http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA4719.pdf (last accessed 4 August 2009).
- 14Significant decrease in nelfinavir systemic exposure after omeprazole coadministration in healthy subjects. Pharmacotheraypy 2008; 28: 42–50., , , , , .
- 15Pharmacokinetics/ genotype associations for major cytochrome P450 enzymes in native and first- and third-generation Japanese populations: comparison with Korean, Chinese and Caucasian populations. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008; 84: 347–61., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 16Nelfinavir unbound drug interactions and protein binding characteristics. 9th Conference on Retrovirous and Opportunistic Infections. Seattle WA. 2002. [Abstract 448-W., , , , , , .
- 17Antiretroviral drug pharmacokinetics in hepatitis with hepatic dysfunction. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40: 174–81., .
- 18Clinical pharmacokinetics of nelfinavir and its metabolite M8 in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive and HIV-hepatitis C virus-coinfected subjects. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005; 49: 643–9., , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 19Therapeutic drug monitoring of nelfinavir in a prospective study (LIVIR IMEA 014) in HIV-HCV co-infected patients with chronic liver disease). 1st International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment; Buenos Aires, Argentina. 2001 [Abstract 349., , , , , , .