Inhaled tiotropium bromide and risk of stroke
Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 731–736, November 2009
How to Cite
Grosso, A., Douglas, I., Hingorani, A. D., MacAllister, R., Hubbard, R. and Smeeth, L. (2009), Inhaled tiotropium bromide and risk of stroke. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 731–736. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03517.x
- Issue online: 6 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2009
- Received 16 February 2009Accepted25 July 2009
- 1Stroke. Lancet 2008; 371: 1612–23., , , .
- 2US Food and Drug Administration. Early communication about an ongoing safety review of tiotropium (marketed as Spiriva HandiHaler). Available at http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/early_comm/tiotropium.htm (last accessed 20 July 2008).
- 3Spiriva HandiHaler (tiotropium bromide) Summary of Product Characteristics. Boehringer Ingelheim. Available at http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/industry/default.asp?page=displaydoc.asp&documentid=10039 (last accessed 20 August 2008).
- 4UPLIFT Study Investigators. A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 1543–54., , , , , , ;
- 5Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2008; 300: 1439–50., , .
- 6The self controlled case series method. BMJ 2008; 337: a1069..
- 7Post-marketing assessment of the safety of strontium ranelate; a novel case-only approach to the early detection of adverse drug reactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 66: 689–94., , , , .
- 8Exposure to antipsychotics and risk of stroke: self controlled case series study. BMJ 2008; 337: a1227., .
- 9Bupropion and the risk of sudden death: a self-controlled case-series analysis using The Health Improvement Network. Thorax 2005; 60: 848–50., , , , , , , .
- 10Cardiovascular morbidity and the use of inhaled bronchodilators. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2008; 3: 163–9., , , .
- 11General practice research database. Available at http://www.gprd.com/home/ (last accessed 25 March 2008).
- 12Relative incidence estimation from case series for vaccine safety evaluation. Biometrics 1995; 51: 228–35..
- 13Effect of tiotropium on sputum and serum inflammatory markers and exacerbations in COPD. Eur Respir J 2007; 30: 472–8., , , , , , , .
- 14IL-8 plasma concentrations and the risk of future coronary artery disease in apparently healthy men and women: the EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2004; 24: 1503–8., , , , , , , , .