Effect of topiramate on acid–base balance: extent, mechanism and effects
Article first published online: 7 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 655–661, November 2009
How to Cite
Mirza, N., Marson, A. G. and Pirmohamed, M. (2009), Effect of topiramate on acid–base balance: extent, mechanism and effects. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 655–661. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03521.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 7 AUG 2009
- Received 2 April 2009Accepted27 July 2009
- 1Topiramate and its clinical applications in epilepsy. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2006; 7: 811–23., .
- 2New and future migraine therapy. Pharmacol Ther 2006; 112: 199–212., .
- 3Topiramate for acute affective episodes in bipolar disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 1: CD003384., , , , .
- 4Antiepileptic drugs for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2007; 9: 291–300..
- 5Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors as emerging drugs for the treatment of obesity. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 2008; 13: 383–92., , .
- 6Comparing topiramate with naltrexone in the treatment of alcohol dependence. Addiction 2008; 103: 2035–44., , , .
- 7Role of antiepileptic drugs in the management of eating disorders. CNS Drugs 2009; 23: 139–56., , , , , .
- 8Topiramate plus paroxetine in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2006; 21: 189–91., .
- 9Treatment of idiopathic intracranial hypertension: topiramate vs acetazolamide, an open-label study. Acta Neurol Scand 2007; 116: 322–7., , , .
- 10Topiramate in the treatment of neuropathic pain in patients with cancer. Support Cancer Ther 2007; 4: 241–6., , , .
- 11Evaluation of open-label topiramate as primary or adjunctive therapy in infantile spasms. Clin Neuropharmacol 2008; 31: 86–92., , , , , .
- 12Effectiveness of topiramate for tobacco dependence in patients with depression; a randomised, controlled trial. BMC Fam Pract 2008; 9: 28., , , , , , , .
- 13Topiramate and severe metabolic acidosis: case report. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2005; 63: 532–4., , , .
- 14Topiramate induced metabolic acidosis. Anaesthesia 2004; 59: 830., .
- 15Topiramate and metabolic acidosis in infants and toddlers. Epilepsia 2002; 43: 744–7., , .
- 16Impact of topiramate on serum bicarbonate concentrations in adults. Ann Pharmacother 2005; 39: 424–6., .
- 17Biochemical and stone-risk profiles with topiramate treatment. Am J Kidney Dis 2006; 48: 555–63., , , , .
- 18Renal tubular acidosis. J Nephrol 2006; 19 (Suppl. 9): S46–52., .
- 19Topiramate-induced renal tubular acidosis. Am J Med 2004; 116: 281–2., , .
- 20Topiramate induces type 3 renal tubular acidosis by inhibiting renal carbonic anhydrase. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21: 2995–6., , , .
- 21Acute mental status changes and hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis with long-term topiramate therapy. Pharmacotherapy 2000; 20: 105–9., , , , , .
- 22Induction of progressive profound hypocitraturia with increasing doses of topiramate. Urology 2008; 72: 29–32; discussion 32–3., , , , .
- 23The sodium bicarbonate cotransporter: structure, function, and regulation. Semin Nephrol 2006; 26: 352–60., , , .
- 24Atypical distal renal tubular acidosis confirmed by mutation analysis. Pediatr Nephrol 2000; 15: 201–4., , , .
- 25Osteopetrosis with combined proximal and distal renal tubular acidosis. Am J Kidney Dis 1982; 2: 357–62., , , .
- 26Carbonic anhydrase II deficiency syndrome: recessive osteopetrosis with renal tubular acidosis and cerebral calcification. Pediatrics 1986; 77: 371–81., , , .
- 27Osteopetrosis associated with proximal and distal tubular acidosis. Acta Paediatr Scand 1972; 61: 429–34., , , , .
- 28Renal tubular acidosis and osteopetrosis with carbonic anhydrase II deficiency: pathogenesis of impaired acidification. Pediatr Nephrol 1997; 11: 633–6., , , , .
- 29Carbonic anhydrase II deficiency identified as the primary defect in the autosomal recessive syndrome of osteopetrosis with renal tubular acidosis and cerebral calcification. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1983; 80: 2752–6., , , , .
- 30Bone marrow transplantation corrects osteopetrosis in the carbonic anhydrase II deficiency syndrome. Blood 2001; 97: 1947–50., , , , , .
- 31The role of carbonic anhydrases in renal physiology. Kidney Int 2007; 71: 103–15., .
- 32Therapeutic applications of glycosidic carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. Med Res Rev 2009; 29: 419–35., , .
- 33Comparison of sulfamate and sulfamide groups for the inhibition of carbonic anhydrase-II by using topiramate as a structural platform. J Med Chem 2005; 48: 1941–7., , , , , .
- 34Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: the very weak inhibitors dithiothreitol, beta-mercaptoethanol, tris(carboxyethyl)phosphine and threitol interfere with the binding of sulfonamides to isozymes II and IX. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2008; 18: 1898–903., , , , , , , .
- 35Crystal structure of human carbonic anhydrase II complexed with an anti-convulsant sugar sulphamate. Biochem J 2002; 361: 437–41., , , .
- 36Efficacy and safety of topiramate in refractory epilepsy: a long-term prospective trial. Ital J Neurol Sci 1996; 17: 429–32., , , , , .
- 37Introduction. Urol Int 2007; 79 (Suppl. 1): 3–7..
- 38Nephrolithiasis during treatment with topiramate. Epilepsia 1995; 36: S153–S53., , .
- 39Topiramate increases biochemical risk of nephrolithiasis. Ann Clin Biochem 2004; 41: 166–9., , .
- 40Bone health in people with epilepsy: is it impaired and what are the risk factors? Seizure 2008; 17: 181–6..
- 41Antiepileptic drug use and rates of hip bone loss in older men: a prospective study. Neurology 2008; 71: 723–30., , , , , .
- 42Reduced bone mass and increased bone turnover in postmenopausal women with epilepsy using antiepileptic drug monotherapy. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2008; 68: 759–66., , , , , , .
- 43Monitoring drug treatment. BMJ 2003; 327: 1179–81., .
- 44Renal tubular acidosis in childhood. Kidney Int 1981; 20: 799–809..
- 45Incidence of radiographically evident bone disease, nephrocalcinosis, and nephrolithiasis in various types of renal tubular acidosis. N Engl J Med 1982; 307: 217–21., , , , , , .
- 46Acute topiramate overdose – clinical manifestations. Clin Toxicol (Phil) 2009; 47: 317–20., , .
- 47Inhibition of carbonic anhydrase-II by sulfamate and sulfamide groups: an investigation involving direct thermodynamic binding measurements. J Med Chem 2006; 49: 3496–500., , , , .