Albendazole and its metabolites in the breast milk of lactating women following a single oral dose of albendazole
Article first published online: 10 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 5, pages 737–742, November 2009
How to Cite
Abdel-tawab, A. M., Bradley, M., Ghazaly, E. A., Horton, J. and El-Setouhy, M. (2009), Albendazole and its metabolites in the breast milk of lactating women following a single oral dose of albendazole. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 737–742. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03524.x
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 10 AUG 2009
- Received 14 July 2008Accepted31 July 2009
- 1Benzimidazoles in the treatment of alveolar echinococcosis: a comparative study and review of the literature. J Antimicrob Chemother 2000; 46: 451–6., , , , .
- 2Meta-analysis: cysticidal drugs for neurocysticercosis: albendazole and praziquantel. Ann Intern Med 2006; 145: 43–51., , , .
- 3Albendazole: a broad spectrum anthelminthic for treatment of individuals and populations. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2002; 15: 599–608..
- 4The role of albendazole in programmes to eliminate lymphatic filariasis. Parasitol Today 1999; 15: 382–6., , .
- 5Mathematical modelling and the control of lymphatic filariasis. Lancet Infect Dis 2004; 4: 223–34., , , , , , .
- 6Frequency, severity, and costs of adverse reactions following mass treatment for lymphatic filariasis using diethylcarbamazine and albendazole in Leogane, Haiti, 2000. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003; 68: 568–73., , , , , , , , .
- 7Death related to albendazole-induced pancytopenia: case report and review. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2005; 72: 291–4., , , .
- 8Drug use during breast-feeding. Clin Pharm 1991; 10: 594–624..
- 9Maternal non-compliance with antibiotics during breastfeeding. Ann Pharmacother 1993; 27: 40–2., , .
- 10Use of benzimidazoles in children younger than 24 months for the treatment of soil-transmitted helminthiasis. Acta Trop 2003; 86: 223–32., , .
- 11New policies for using anthelmintics in high risk groups. Trends Parasitol 2002; 18: 381–2., , , , .
- 12Anthelminthic drug safety and drug administration in the control of soil-transmitted helminthiasis in community campaigns. Acta Trop 2003; 86: 215–21., .
- 13Albendazole, mebendazole and praziquantel. Review of non-clinical toxicity and pharmacokinetics. Acta Trop 2003; 86: 141–59..
- 14Albendazole metabolism in patients with neurocysticercosis: antipyrine as a multifunctional marker drug of cytochrome P450. Braz J Med Biol Res 2002; 35: 261–9., , .
- 15Rapid quantitative screening assay of trace benzimidazole residues in milk by liquid chromatography. J AOAC Int 1996; 79: 1281–7., , , .
- 16Rapid and sensitive method for the determination of albendazole and albendazole sulphoxide in biological fluids. J Chromatogr 1991; 566: 244–9., , , , , .
- 17Determination of anthelmintic residues in milk by high performance liquid chromatography. Food Control 2000; 11: 165–73., , , .
- 18Drug excretion into breast milk—overview. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2003; 55: 617–27., .
- 19Prediction of drug distribution into human milk from physicochemical characteristics. Clin Pharmacokinet 1990; 18: 151–67., .
- 20Active transport of cimetidine and ranitidine into the milk of Sprague Dawley rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1996; 277: 1615–21., , .
- 21Transport of anthelmintic benzimidazole drugs by breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP/ABCG2). Drug Metab Dispos 2005; 33: 614–8., , , , , , .
- 22Regulation of BCRP/ABCG2 expression by progesterone and 17beta-estradiol in human placental BeWo cells. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2005; 290: E798–807., , , , , , .
- 23Physiological and pharmacological roles of ABCG2 (BCRP): recent findings in Abcg2 knockout mice. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2009; 61: 14–25., , .
- 24Relative contribution of cytochromes P450 and flavin-containing monooxygenases to the metabolism of albendazole by human liver microsomes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2000; 49: 313–22., , , .
- 25Expression of CYP3A in the human liver—evidence that the shift between CYP3A7 and CYP3A4 occurs immediately after birth. Eur J Biochem 1997; 247: 625–34., , , , .
- 26Ontogeny of drug-metabolizing enzymes and its influence on the pathogenesis of adverse drug reactions in children. Curr Ther Res 2001; 62: 900–12..
- 27Albendazole metabolism in patients with neurocysticercosis: antipyrine as a multifunctional marker drug of cytochrome P450. Braz J Med Biol Res 2002; 35: 261–9., , .
- 28Intestinal elimination of albendazole sulfoxide: pharmacokinetic effects of inhibitors. Int J Pharm 2003; 263: 123–32., , , , , .
- 29MEDSAFE. Information for health professionals. Available at http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/PUarticles/lactation.htm#Calculation (last accessed 15 May 2008).
- 30Time dependent pharmacokinetics of albendazole in human. Biopharm Drug Dispos 2003; 24: 199–204., , .
- 31American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs. Transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Pediatrics 2001; 108: 776–89.
- 32Randomised trial of albendazole and pyrantel in symptomless trichuriasis in children. Lancet 1998; 352: 1103–08., , , , , .
- 33Physical activity and growth of Kenyan school children with hookworm, Trichuris trichiura and Ascaris lumbricoides infections are improved after treatment with albendazole. J Nutr 1994; 124: 1199–206., , , .
- 34Relationships between soil-transmitted helminthiases and growth in urban slum school children in Ujung Pandang, Indonesia. Int J Food Sci Nutr 1997; 48: 85–93., , .
- 35Albendazole for mass treatment of asymptomatic trichuris infections. Lancet 1998; 352: 1080–81..