Rise in antiobesity drug prescribing for children and adolescents in the UK: a population-based study
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 844–851, December 2009
How to Cite
Viner, R. M., Hsia, Y., Neubert, A. and Wong, I. C. K. (2009), Rise in antiobesity drug prescribing for children and adolescents in the UK: a population-based study. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 844–851. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03528.x
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2009
- Received 2 February 2009 Accepted1 July 2009
- 1Tackling Obesities: Future Choices—International Comparisons of Obesity Trends, Determinants and Responses—Evidence Review -2 Children, 2nd edn. London: Government Office for Science, 2007., .
- 2Persistence of multiple cardiovascular risk clustering related to syndrome X from childhood to young adulthood. The Bogalusa Heart Study. Arch Intern Med 1994; 154: 1842–7., , , .
- 3Relationship of childhood obesity to coronary heart disease risk factors in adulthood: the Bogalusa Heart Study. Pediatrics 2001; 108: 712–8., , , , .
- 4Cross-Government Obesity Unit DoHDoCSaF. Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: a Cross-Government Strategy for England. London: HM Govermment, 2008.
- 5Tackling Obesities: Future Choices – Modelling Future Trends in Obesity & Their Impact on Health, 2nd edn. London: Government Office for Science, 2007., , .
- 6Ethnicity, socio-economic status, overweight and underweight in East London adolescents. Ethn Health 2005; 10: 113–28., , , , , , , , , .
- 7Prevalence of the insulin resistance syndrome in obesity. Arch Dis Child 2005; 90: 10–4., , , .
- 8Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study. J Pediatr 2007; 150: 12–7., , , , .
- 9National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Obesity: guidance on the prevention, identification, assessment and management of overweight and obesity in adults and children. NICE Clinical Guideline 43; December 2006.
- 10National trends in the use and costs of anti-obesity medications in England, 1998–2005. J Public Health 2007; 29: 199–202., , , .
- 11Expert Committee. Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 2007; 120 (Suppl. 4): S164–92.,
- 12Epidemiology of antipsychotic prescribing to children and adolescents in UK primary care. Pediatrics 2008; 121: 1002–9., , , .
- 13A drug utilisation study of antidepressants in children and adolescents using the General Practice Research Database. Arch Dis Child 2004; 89: 1098–102., , .
- 14The UK general practice research database. Lancet 1997; 350: 1097–9., .
- 15The potential of UK clinical databases in enhancing paediatric medication research. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2005; 59: 750–5., .
- 16New drug policy in childhood obesity. Int J Obes (Lond) 2005; 29: S62–5..
- 17Three-month tolerability of orlistat in adolescents with obesity-related comorbid conditions. Obes Res 2002; 10: 642–50., , , , , , .
- 18Effect of orlistat on weight and body composition in obese adolescents: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2005; 293: 2873–83., , , , .
- 19Orlistat: a review of its use in the management of obesity. Drugs 2006; 66: 1625–56., .
- 20Addition of orlistat to conventional treatment in adolescents with severe obesity. Eur J Pediatr 2004; 163: 738–41., , , .
- 21Behavior therapy and sibutramine for the treatment of adolescent obesity: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2003; 289: 1805–12., , , .
- 22Effects of sibutramine treatment in obese adolescents: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2006; 145: 81–90., , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 23Treatment of obese adolescents with sibutramine: a randomized, double-blind, controlled study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 1460–5., , , , , , , , , .
- 24Use of sibutramine in obese Mexican adolescents: a 6-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group trial. Clin Ther 2006; 28: 770–82., , , , , .
- 25Body mass, weight control behaviours, weight perception and emotional well being in a multiethnic sample of early adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond) 2006; 30: 1514–21., , , , , .
- 26Anti-obesity drug use before professional treatment in Taiwan. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2007; 16: 580–6., , , , , .