Effect of efavirenz on high-density lipoprotein antioxidant properties in HIV-infected patients
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 891–897, December 2009
How to Cite
Pereira, S. A., Batuca, J. R., Caixas, U., Branco, T., Delgado-Alves, J., Germano, I., Lampreia, F. and Monteiro, E. C. (2009), Effect of efavirenz on high-density lipoprotein antioxidant properties in HIV-infected patients. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 891–897. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03535.x
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
- Received 18 June 2009 Accepted6 August 2009
- 1Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. HIV Outpatient Study investigator. N Engl J Med 1998; 338: 853–60., , , , , , , .
- 2Adverse effects of antiretroviral therapy. Lancet 2000; 356: 1423–30., .
- 3Impaired glucose tolerance, beta cell function and lipid metabolism in HIV patients under treatment with protease inhibitors. AIDS 1999; 13: F63–70., , , , , , , .
- 4Efavirenz induces a striking and generalized increase of HDL-cholesterol in HIV-infected patients. AIDS 2004; 18: 819–21., , , , , , , .
- 5Nevirapine and efavirenz elicit different changes in lipid profiles in antiretroviral-therapy-naive patients infected with HIV-1. PLoS Med 2004; 1: 64–73., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 6Metabolic benefits 24 months after replacing a protease inhibitor with abacavir, efavirenz or nevirapine. AIDS 2005; 19: 917–25., , , , , , , , .
- 7Impact of HIV infection and HAART on serum lipids in men. JAMA 2003; 289: 2978–82., , , , , , , , , .
- 8HIV infection and high density lipoprotein metabolism. Atherosclerosis 2008; 199: 79–86., , , , , , .
- 9Plasma membrane rafts play a critical role in HIV-1 assembly and release. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 13925–30., .
- 10Human immunodeficiency virus impairs reverse cholesterol transport from macrophages. PLoS Biol 2006; 1: e365., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 11High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. Four prospective American studies. Circulation 1989; 79: 8–15., , , , , , , , .
- 12High-density lipoprotein concentrations relate to the clinical course of HIV viral load in patients undergoing antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2003; 17: 1173–8., , , , , , , , , .
- 13Inflammatory/anti-inflammatory properties of high-density lipoprotein distinguish patients from control subjects better than high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and are favourably affected by simvastatin treatment. Circulation 2003; 108: 2751–6., , , , , , , , , , .
- 14Mildly oxidized LDL induces an increased apolipoprotein J/paraoxonase ratio. J Clin Invest 1997; 99: 2005–19., , , , , , , , , .
- 15Relationship of paraoxonase 1 (PON1) gene polymorphisms and functional activity with systemic oxidative stress and cardiovascular risk. JAMA 2008; 299: 1265., , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 16Protection of low-density lipoprotein against oxidative modification by high-density lipoprotein associated paraoxonase. Arteriosclerosis 1993; 104: 129–35., , , .
- 17Contribution to characterization of oxidative stress in HIV/AIDS patients. Pharmacol Res 2003; 47: 217–24., , , , , , , , , .
- 18The effect of different combination therapies on oxidative stress markers in HIV infected patients in Cameroon. AIDS Res Ther 2006; 22: 3–19., , , , .
- 19Influence of antiretroviral therapy on oxidative stress and cardiovascular risk: a prospective cross-sectional study in HIV-infected patients. Clin Ther 2007; 29: 1448–55., , , , , , , .
- 20Serum paraoxonase-1 activity and concentration are influenced by human immunodeficiency virus infection. Atherosclerosis 2007; 194: 175–81., , , , , , , , , , .
- 21Long-term and concentration-dependent beneficial effect of efavirenz on HDL-cholesterol in HIV-infected patients. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 61: 601–4., , , , , , .
- 22Antibodies toward high-density lipoprotein components inhibit paraoxonase activity in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann NY Acad Sci 2007; 1108: 137–46., , , .
- 23Intra-individual variability in efavirenz plasma concentrations supports therapeutic drug monitoring based on quarterly sampling in the first year of therapy. Ther Drug Monit 2008; 30: 60–6., , , , , , .
- 24Low paraoxonase activity predicts coronary events in the Caerphilly Prospective Study. Circulation 2003; 107: 2775–9., , , , , , .
- 25Paraoxonase-1 is associated with oxidative stress, fibrosis and FAS expression in chronic liver diseases. J Hepatol 2006; 45: 51–9., , , , , , , , .
- 26The importance of high-density lipoproteins for paraoxonase-1 secretion, stability, and activity. Free Radic Biol Med 2004; 37: 1986–94., .
- 27WISE Study Group. Association between the severity of angiographic coronary artery disease and paraoxonase gene polymorphisms in the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-sponsored Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE) study. Am J Hum Genet 2003; 72: 13–22., , , , , , , , , ;
- 28Relationship of serum paraoxonase 1 activity and paraoxonase 1 genotype to risk of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 1928–39., , , , , , , , .
- 29Factors associated with paraoxonase genotypes and activity in a diverse, young, healthy population: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study. Clin Chem 2008; 54: 738–46., , , , , , , .
- 30Paraoxonase 1 activity, concentration and genotype in cardiovascular disease. Curr Opin Lipidol 2004; 15: 399–404., , .
- 31Determination of paraoxonase (PON1) status requires more than genotyping. Pharmacogenetics 1999; 9: 745–53., .
- 32Genetic polymorphism and interethnic variability of plasma paraoxonase activity. J Med Genet 1976; 13: 337–42., , , .
- 33Effects of vitamin E and C supplementation on oxidative stress and viral load in HIV-infected subjects. Eur J Clin Invest 1998; 12: 1653–9., , , , , , .
- 34Antioxidant defenses influence HIV-1 replication and associated cytopathic effects. Free Radic Biol Med 1998; 24: 1485–91., , , .
- 35Decreased antioxidant defence in individuals infected by the human immunodeficiency virus. Eur J Clin Invest 2000; 5: 454–9., , , , , , , .
- 36Atlantic Study Team. Nevirapine-containing antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1 infected patients results in an anti-atherogenic lipid profile. AIDS 2001; 15: 2407–14., , , , , , , , , , , ;
- 37The paraoxonases: role in human diseases and methodological difficulties in measurement. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 2009; 46: 83–106., , .