Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/authorresources/onlineopen.html
Validation and validity of diagnoses in the General Practice Research Database: a systematic review
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 69, Issue 1, pages 4–14, January 2010
How to Cite
Herrett, E., Thomas, S. L., Schoonen, W. M., Smeeth, L. and Hall, A. J. (2010), Validation and validity of diagnoses in the General Practice Research Database: a systematic review. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 69: 4–14. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03537.x
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
- Received 9 April 2009Accepted6 August 2009
- 1Clinical information for research; the use of general practice databases. J Public Health Med 1999; 21: 299–304., , .
- 2The VAMP research multi-purpose database in the U.K. J Clin Epidemiol 1995; 48: 431–43., .
- 3General Practice Research Database [Internet]. Available at http://www.gprd.com (last accessed 28 July 2009).
- 4Relation of childhood gastrointestinal disorders to autism: nested case–control study using data from the UK General Practice Research Database. BMJ 2002; 325: 419–21., , .
- 5MMR vaccination and pervasive developmental disorders: a case–control study. Lancet 2004; 364: 963–9., , , , , , .
- 6Validation of the diagnosis of autism in general practitioner records. BMC Public Health 2004; 4: 5., , , , , , , .
- 7The General Practice Research Database: quality of morbidity data. Popul Trends 1997; 87: 36–40..
- 8Accuracy of diagnosis of psychosis on general practice computer system. BMJ 1993; 307: 32–4., , , , .
- 9Validation of general practitioner-diagnosed COPD in the UK General Practice Research Database. Eur J Epidemiol 2001; 17: 1075–80., , , .
- 10Validation of information recorded on general practitioner based computerised data resource in the United Kingdom. BMJ 1991; 302: 766–8., , .
- 11Further validation of information recorded on a general practitioner based computerized data resource in the United Kingdom. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 1992; 1: 347–9., , , .
- 12Validity of the general practice research database. Pharmacotherapy 2003; 23: 686–9., , , , , , , , .
- 13The quality of information recorded on a UK database of primary care records: a study of hospitalisations due to hypoglycemia and other conditions. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 1994; 3: 15–21., .
- 14The utility of the general practice research database to examine selected congenital heart defects: a validation study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2007; 16: 867–77., , , , .
- 15Statins and the risk of idiopathic venous thromboembolism. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2002; 53: 101–5., , .
- 16Predictors and prognosis of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in general practice in the UK. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2005; 5: 20., , , .
- 17All-cause mortality and vascular events among patients with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or no arthritis in the UK General Practice Research Database. J Rheumatol 2003; 30: 1196–202., , .
- 18Measuring disease prevalence: a comparison of musculoskeletal disease using four general practice consultation databases. Br J Gen Pract 2007; 57: 7–14., , , , , , .
- 19Epidemiology of fractures in England and Wales. Bone 2001; 29: 517–22., , , .
- 20Recent trends in physician diagnosed COPD in women and men in the UK. Thorax 2000; 55: 789–94., , , , , , .
- 21The incidence and prevalence of pressure ulcers among elderly patients in general medical practice. Ann Epidemiol 2002; 12: 321–5., , , , .
- 22How accurate are diagnoses for rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile idiopathic arthritis in the general practice research database? Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59: 1314–21., , , , .
- 23Use of first- and second-generation cyclooxygenase-2 selective nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and risk of acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 2006; 113: 1950–7., , .
- 24Acute liver injury associated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the role of risk factors. Arch Intern Med 1994; 154: 311–6., , , , .
- 25Diagnostic accuracy of physician review, expert algorithms and data-derived algorithms in adult verbal autopsies. Int J Epidemiol 1999; 28: 1081–7., , .
- 26Increased risk for demyelinating diseases in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2005; 129: 819–26., , .
- 27Prostate cancer risk among men with diabetes mellitus (Spain). Cancer Causes Control 2005; 16: 1055–58., .
- 28Diabetes and the risk of lung cancer. Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 590–4., , , , .
- 29Incidence of ocular melanoma in the general population and in glaucoma patients. J Epidemiol Community Health 2001; 55: 338–9., .