Exposure to folic acid antagonists during the first trimester of pregnancy and the risk of major malformations
Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 956–962, December 2009
How to Cite
Matok, I., Gorodischer, R., Koren, G., Landau, D., Wiznitzer, A. and Levy, A. (2009), Exposure to folic acid antagonists during the first trimester of pregnancy and the risk of major malformations. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68: 956–962. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03544.x
- Issue online: 27 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2009
- Received 26 April 2009 Accepted12 September 2009
- 1Possible prevention of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. Lancet 1980; 1: 339–40., , , , , , , .
- 2Prevention of neural-tube defects with folic acid in China. China–U.S. collaborative project for neural tube defect prevention. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1485–90., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 3Folic acid antagonists during pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 1608–14., , , .
- 4Neural tube defects in relation to use of folic acid antagonists during pregnancy. Am J Epidemiol 2001; 153: 961–8., , , .
- 5Folic acid sensitive birth defects in association with intrauterine exposure to folic acid antagonists. Reprod Toxicol 2005; 20: 203–7., , , .
- 6Central Bureau of Statistics, State of Israel. Statistical Abstract of Israel 2008, No. 59. Available at http://www.cbs.gov.il/ts/ (last accessed 16 March 2009).
- 7Central Bureau of Statistics, State of Israel. Hoda’a laitonut (in Hebrew). Available at http//www.cbs.gov.il/reader/newhodaot/searh_text_hodaot.html (last accessed 25 November 2008).
- 8Drugs and folate metabolism. Drugs 1985; 30: 145–55., .
- 9Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Metropolitan Atlanta Congenital Defects Program, 2009. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/bd/macdp.htm (last accessed 12 March 2009).
- 10National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Guidelines for case classification for the national birth defects prevention study. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2003; 67: 193–201., , , , , ;
- 11The metropolitan Atlanta congenital defects program: 35 years of birth defects surveillance at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2003; 67: 617–24., , , , , .
- 12Maternal factors associated with severity of birth defects. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 1999; 64: 227–32., , , , , .
- 13Decisions regarding pregnancy termination among Bedouin couples referred to third level ultrasound clinic. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1998; 76: 141–6., , , , .
- 14Birth defects and parental consanguinity in Norway. Am J Epidemiol 1997; 145: 439–48., , , , .
- 15Genetic disorders among Palestinian Arabs: 1. Effects of consanguinity. Am J Med Genet 1997; 68: 472–5..
- 16The teratogenic risk of trimethoprim-sulfonamides: a population based case–control study. Reprod Toxicol 2001; 15: 637–46., , , .
- 17The safety of metoclopramide use in the first trimester of pregnancy. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 2528–35., , , , , .
- 18The incidence of anemia in an Israeli population: a population analysis for anemia in 34,512 Israeli infants aged 9–18 months. Pediatrics 2006; 118: e1055–60., , , , , , , .
- 19Use of Medicaid data for pharmacoepidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 1989; 129: 837–49., .
- 20Improvement of drug exposure data in a registration of congenital anomalies. Pilot-study: pharmacist and mother as sources for drug exposure data during pregnancy. EuroMAP Group. European Medicine and Pregnancy Group. Teratology 1999; 60: 33–6., , , .
- 21Reduction of urinary tract and cardiovascular defects by periconceptional multivitamin supplementation. Am J Med Genet 1996; 62: 179–83..
- 22Periconceptional multivitamin use in relation to the risk of congenital urinary tract anomalies. Epidemiology 1995; 6: 212–8., , , , , .
- 23Effects of antibacterials on the unborn child: what is known and how should this influence prescribing. Paediatr Drugs 2001; 3: 803–16., , .
- 24The safety of nitrofurantoin during the first trimester of pregnancy: meta-analysis. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 1995; 9: 503–7., , , , , .
- 25American Academy of Neurology; American Epilepsy Society. Management issues for women with epilepsy—focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): II. Teratogenesis and perinatal outcomes. Epilepsia 2009; 50: 1237–46., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ;
- 26Association between levels of folic acid in blood of pregnant Jewish and Bedouin women, and reported adherence with currently recommended supplementations. MPH Thesis. Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel, January 24, 2008..