Is there an anti-inflammatory effect of statins in rheumatoid arthritis? Analysis of a large routinely collected claims database
Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2009
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 69, Issue 1, pages 85–94, January 2010
How to Cite
Lodi, S., Evans, S. J. W., Egger, P. and Carpenter, J. (2010), Is there an anti-inflammatory effect of statins in rheumatoid arthritis? Analysis of a large routinely collected claims database. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 69: 85–94. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2009.03560.x
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2009
- Received 3 June 2009Accepted3 September 2009
- 14S investigators. Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S). Lancet 1994; 344: 1383–9.
- 2Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia. West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study Group. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 1301–8., , , , , , , .
- 3The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels. Cholesterol and Recurrent Events Trial investigators. N Engl J Med 1996; 335: 1001–9., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 4The Long-Term intervention with Pravastatin in Ischaemic Disease (LIPID) Study Group. Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1349–57.
- 5Primary prevention of acute coronary events with lovastatin in men and women with average cholesterol levels: results of AFCAPS/TexCAPS. Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study. JAMA 1998; 279: 1615–22., , , , , , , , , .
- 6the ASCOT investigators. Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower than average cholesterol concentrations in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcome Trial – Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 1149–58., , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 7Heart Protection Study Collaborative Group. MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20536 high-risk individuals: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2002; 360: 7–22.
- 8Lovastatin and beyond: the history of the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2003; 2: 517–26..
- 9Long-term effects of pravastatin on plasma concentration of C-reactive protein. The Cholesterol and Recurrent Events (CARE) investigators. Circulation 1999; 100: 230–5., , , , .
- 10Measurement of C-reactive protein for the targeting of statin therapy in the primary prevention of acute coronary events. N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 1959–65., , , , , , .
- 11Statins as a newly recognized type of immunomodulator. Nat Med 2000; 6: 1399–402., , , .
- 12Anti-inflammatory effects of statins: clinical evidence and basic mechanisms. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2005; 4: 977–87., .
- 13Inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine production by pravastatin. Lancet 1999; 353: 983–4., , .
- 14Trial of atorvastatin in rheumatoid arthritis (TARA): a double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 363: 2015–21., , , , , , , .
- 15Statins in rheumatoid arthritis—two birds with one stone? Lancet 2004; 363: 2011–2., .
- 16A novel anti-inflammatory role for simvastatin in inflammatory arthritis. J Immunol 2003; 170: 1524–30., , , , , , , , , , .
- 17The relationship between time since registration and measured incidence rates in the General Practice Research Database. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2005; 14: 443–51., , , .
- 18Modelling Survival Data. Extending the Cox Model. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000; 127–48., .
- 19Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of atorvastatin in a rat model of adjuvant-induced arthritis. Eur J Pharmacol 2005; 516: 282–9., , , , , , , , .
- 20Impact of simvastatin and losartan on antiinflammatory effect: in vitro study. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2007; 49: 20–6., , , , , .
- 21Effects of pravastatin in murine collagen-induced arthritis. Rheumatol Int 2007; 27: 631–9., , , , , .
- 22Effect of pravastatin on outcomes after cardiac transplantation. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 621–7., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 23Simvastatin reduces graft vessel disease and mortality after heart transplantation: a four-year randomised trial. Circulation 1997; 96: 1398–402., , , , , , , .
- 24Ten-year follow-up of a randomized trial of pravastatin in heart transplant patients. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005; 24: 1736–40., , , , , , , , , , .
- 25Oral simvastatin treatment in relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis. Lancet 2004; 363: 1607–8., , , , , , , , .
- 26Statins and sepsis in patients with cardiovascular disease: a population-based cohort analysis. Lancet 2006; 367: 413–8., , , .
- 27Hyperlipidemia, statin use and the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2009; 68: 546–51., , , , .
- 28Treatment with statins does not exhibit a clinically relevant corticosteroid-sparing effect in patients with giant cell arteritis. Arthritis Care Res 2004; 51: 674–8., , , .
- 29Reanalysis of two studies with contrasting results on the association between statin use and fracture risk: the General Practice Research Database. Int J Epidemiol 2006; 35: 1301–8., , , , .
- 30Statins and the risk of colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 952., , .