Generic and therapeutic substitutions in the UK: are they a good thing?
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Special Issue: Pharmacoeconomics Theme Issue
Volume 70, Issue 3, pages 335–341, September 2010
How to Cite
Duerden, M. G. and Hughes, D. A. (2010), Generic and therapeutic substitutions in the UK: are they a good thing?. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 70: 335–341. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2010.03718.x
- Issue published online: 16 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
- Received 9 April 2010Accepted 14 May 2010
- 1House of Commons Committee of Public Accounts. Department of Health: Prescribing costs in primary care. December 2007. Available at http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_committees/committee_of_public_accounts/pacpn070117.cfm (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 4National Audit Office. Prescribing costs in primary care. May 2007. Available at http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/0607/prescribing_costs_in_primary_c.aspx (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 5Institute for Innovation and Improvement. NHS Better Care, Better Value Indicators. Available at http://www.productivity.nhs.uk/default.aspx (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 6National Audit Office. Prescribing Savings in 2008. http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/0809/prescribing_savings_in_2008.aspx (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 7Department of Health. Strategies to achieve cost-effective prescribing: Interim Guidance for Primary Care Trusts. June 2007. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_076350?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=143220&Rendition=Web (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 8Department of Health. The proposals to implement ‘generic substitution’ in primary care, further to the Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Scheme (PPRS) 2009. Consultation document 2010. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Consultations/Liveconsultations/DH_110517 (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 9The Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry. Generic substitution: patient safety comes first. http://www.abpi.org.uk/press/press_releases_10/050110.asp (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 10Department of Health. Building on the best: Choice, responsiveness and equity in the NHS. 2003. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Consultations/Responsestoconsultations/DH_4068391 (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 11NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourchoices/allaboutchoice/Pages/Allaboutchoice.aspx (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 12One Voice Wales. http://www.onevoicewales.org.uk/news/new-nhs-structure-for-wales (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 13BNF. British National Formulary Extra 2010. Name changes. Available at http://bnf.org/bnf/extra/current/450049.htm (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 14Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products. Notes for Guidance on the Investigation of Bioavailability and Bioequivalence. London: European Medicines Evaluation Agency, 2001.
- 15Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary No 59. London: British Medical Association, Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 2010.
- 21Clinical Guidelines and Evidence Review for the Epilepsies: Diagnosis and Management in Adults and Children in Primary and Secondary Care. London: Royal College of General Practitioners, 2004., , , , .
- 22Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Diagnosis and Management of Epilepsy in Adults. Guideline No 70. Edinburgh: Diagnosis and management of epilepsy in adults, 2003.
- 23Department of Health. Treatment for epilepsy: generic lamotrigine. March 2005. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/DH_4104966 (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 24Epilepsy Action. Continuity of drugs. Available at http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/drugs_change.html (accessed 5 July 2010).
- 26European Medicines Agency. Guideline on similar biological medicinal products. November 2004. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/pdfs/human/biosimilar/043704en.pdf (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 27European Medicines Agency. Guideline on similar biological medicinal products containing biotechnology-derived proteins as active substance: quality issues. February 2006. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/pdfs/human/biosimilar/4934805en.pdf (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 29European Medicines Agency. Questions and answers on biosimilar medicines (similar biological medicinal products). October 2008. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/pdfs/human/pcwp/7456206en.pdf (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 30Switching statins: the impact on patient outcomes. Br J Cardiol 2007; 14: 280–5., , , , , .
- 36National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Clinical Guideline Number 67. May 2008. Available at http://www.nice.org.uk/CG067 (last accessed 5 July 2010).
- 38Making sense of drug pricing. WeMeReC Online resources. 2006. Available at http://www.wemerec.org/Documents/enotes/MedicinesPricing.pdf (last accessed 5 July 2010)..
- 40UK Medicines Information. Which medicines are not suitable for generic prescribing in primary care? Q&A 247.1. Liverpool: North West Medicines Information Centre, 2009.