Variability in response to clopidogrel: how important are pharmacogenetics and drug interactions?
Article first published online: 9 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology © 2011 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Special Issue: Haemostasis Themed Issue
Volume 72, Issue 4, pages 697–706, October 2011
How to Cite
Ma, T. K. W., Lam, Y.-Y., Tan, V. P. and Yan, B. P. (2011), Variability in response to clopidogrel: how important are pharmacogenetics and drug interactions?. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 72: 697–706. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.03949.x
- Issue published online: 9 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 9 SEP 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 FEB 2011 10:31AM EST
- Received; 3 December 2010; Accepted; 8 February 2011; Accepted Article; 25 February 2011
- 7Clopidogrel in Unstable angina to prevent Recurrent Events trial (CURE) Investigators. Effects of pretreatment with clopidogrel and aspirin followed by long-term therapy in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: the PCI-CURE study. Lancet 2001; 358: 527–33., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 8Clopidogrel as Adjunctive Reperfusion Therapy (CLARITY)-Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction (TIMI) 28 Investigators. Effect of clopidogrel pretreatment before percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction treated with fibrinolytics: the PCI-CLARITY study. JAMA 2005; 294: 1224–32., , , , , , , , , ,
- 13Clopidogrel hyporesponsiveness and the FDA boxed warning: detection and management of patients with genetic polymorphisms. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2011; 68: 529–32..
- 19Cytochrome P450 2C19 loss-of-function polymorphism, but not CYP3A4 IVS10 + 12G/A and P2Y12 T744C polymorphisms, is associated with response variability to dual antiplatelet treatment in high-risk vascular patients. Pharmacogenet Genomics 2007; 17: 1057–64., , , , , , , , , .
- 21Cytochrome P450 2C19 681G>A polymorphism and high on-clopidogrel platelet reactivity associated with adverse 1-year clinical outcome of elective percutaneous coronary intervention with drug-eluting or bare-metal stents. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 1925–34., , , , , , , , , , .
- 39ACCF/AHA clopidogrel clinical alert: approaches to the FDA ‘boxed warning’: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on clinical expert consensus documents and the American Heart Association endorsed by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 56: 321–41., , , , , .
- 40AHA/ACC; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. AHA/ACC guidelines for secondary prevention for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2006 update: endorsed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Circulation 2006; 113: 2363–72., , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 41American College of Cardiology Foundation; American College of Gastroenterology; American Heart Association. ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103: 2890–907., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,Direct Link:
- 48Abstract 3998: proton pump inhibitors effect on clopidogrel effectiveness: the clopidogrel Medco outcomes study. Circulation 2008; 118: S_815., , , , , , , .
- 52Baseline proton pump inhibitors use is associated with increased cardiovascular events with or without the use of clopidogrel in the CREDO trial. Circulation 2008; 118: S_815., , , , , , , , .
- 56PRINCIPLE-TIMI 44 Investigators. Prasugrel compared with high loading- and maintenance-dose clopidogrel in patients with planned percutaneous coronary intervention: the Prasugrel in Comparison to Clopidogrel for Inhibition of Platelet Activation and Aggregation-Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction 44 trial. Circulation 2007; 116: 2923–32., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 59ACCF/ACG/AHA 2010 Expert Consensus Document on the concomitant use of proton pump inhibitors and thienopyridines: a focused update of the ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 Expert Consensus Document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use. Circulation 2010; 122: 2619–33., , , , , , , , , , , , , , .