Prescribing and partnership with patients
Article first published online: 5 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology © 2012 The British Pharmacological Society
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Special Issue: Prescribing Themed Issue
Volume 74, Issue 4, pages 581–588, October 2012
How to Cite
Bond, C., Blenkinsopp, A. and Raynor, D. K. (2012), Prescribing and partnership with patients. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 74: 581–588. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2012.04330.x
- Issue published online: 5 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 5 SEP 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 MAY 2012 02:06AM EST
- Received; 31 December 2011; Accepted; 8 May 2012; Accepted Article Published Online; 24 May 2012
- 1The Rise of Professionalism. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1977..
- 2Profession of Medicine. New York: Mead and Co., 1972..
- 4Department of Health Saving lives. Our healthier nation. 1999.
- 5Department of Health. The expert patient: a new approach to chronic disease management for the 21st century. 2001.
- 6Department of Health. Equity and excellence: liberating the NHS. 2010.
- 9Department of Health. Self care support the evidence pack. 2007.
- 10Securing Good Health for the Whole Population. Department of Health, 2004..
- 11From Compliance to Concordance: Achieving Shared Goals in Medicine Taking. London: Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 1997..
- 12Care Quality Commission. The state of adult health care and social care in England: an overview of key themes in care 2009–10. 2011. Available at http://www.cqc.org.uk/_db/_documents/6227_CQC_SoC2009-10_TAG.pdf (last accessed 10 April 2012).
- 13Expert Patients Programme. Community interest company. Available at http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/ (last accessed 20 June 2012).
- 20A systematic review of quantitative and qualitative research on the role and effectiveness of written information available to patients about individual medicines. Health Technol Assess 2007; 11: 1–178., , , , , , , , , , .
- 21MHRA. Guidance on the user testing of patient information leaflets. 2005. Available at http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/pl-a/documents/publication/con1004417.pdf (last accessed 23 May 2012).
- 22MHRA. Patient information leaflet of the month. Available at http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Labelspatientinformationleafletsandpackaging/Patientinformationleaflet(PIL)ofthemonth/index.htm (last accessed 23 May 2012).
- 23Medicines.org. Available at http://www.medicines.org/ (last accessed 22 May 2012).
- 25National Prescribing Centre (NPC). Available at http://www.npc.co.uk/patient_decision_aids/pda.php (last accessed 22 May 2012).
- 26NICE. Clinical Guideline 67. Lipid Modification: Cardiovascular Risk Assessment and the Modification of Blood Lipids for the Primary and Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. London: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, 2008.
- 27Visual Rx – what is it? Dr Chris Cates EBM website 2008. Available at http://www.nntonline.net/visualrx/introduction/ (last accessed 20 June 2012)..
- 28The Doctor, His Patient and the Illness, 2nd edn. Livingstone: Churchill, 1963..
- 29The Consultation: An Approach to Learning and Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1984., , , .
- 30Meetings between Experts: An Approach to Sharing Ideas in Medical Consultations. London: Tavistock Publications, 1985., , , .
- 31The Inner Consultation: How to Develop an Effective and Intuitive Consultation Style, 2nd edn. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press, 2004..
- 34Barriers and facilitators to implementing shared decision making in clinical practice: a systematic review of health professionals perceptions. Implementation Science;2006 1;16., , .
- 35A systematic review of communication between patients and health care professionals about medicine taking and prescribing. London GKT Concordance Unit Kings College Published by Medicines Partnership. 2004. Available at http://www.keele.ac.uk/pharmacy/npcplus/medicinespartnershipprogramme/medicinespartnershipprogrammepublications/asystematicreviewofcommunicationbetweenpatie/research-systematic-review-briefing-document.pdf (last accessed 20 June 2012)., , .
- 39Consumer's Association. Advice across the chemist's counter. Which? 1985; August: 351.
- 41Over-the-counter medication. BMA Report, 2005., .
- 42Implementing shared decision making in the NHS. BMJ 2010; 3441: 971–3..
- 43RCGP. The general practice consultation: RCGP curriculum Statement 2. 2007).
- 44NICE. Clinical Guideline 76 Medicines Adherence: Involving Patients in Decisions about Prescribed Medicines and Supporting Adherence. London: NHS National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, 2009.
- 45National Prescribing Centre Information Mastery. Patient decision aids 2007. Available at http://www.ncpi.org.uk (last accessed 22 May 2012).
- 46Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by health care professionals. 2010. The Cochrane Library, issue 5., , , , , , .
- 48Department of Health Care. Skills for skills for health. 2008. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_084505 (last accessed 22 May 2012).
- 52UK Quality and Outcomes Framework. Available at http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-data-collections/audits-and-performance/the-quality-and-outcomes-framework (last accessed 22 May 2012).
- 57Shared decision making. Healthc Q 2009; 12: 186–90..
- 58Finding common ground. In: Patient Centred Prescribing, eds Dowell J, Williams B, Snadden D. Oxford: Radcliffe Press, 2007. ISBN-10: 1 85775 835 8..