Funding sources None.
Aqueous cream damages the skin barrier
Version of Record online: 25 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. BJD © 2011 British Association of Dermatologists
British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 164, Issue 6, pages 1179–1180, June 2011
How to Cite
Cork, M.J. and Danby, S. (2011), Aqueous cream damages the skin barrier. British Journal of Dermatology, 164: 1179–1180. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2011.10390.x
Conflicts of interest All of our work investigating the effects of aqueous cream on the skin barrier has been funded academically. M.J.C. and S.D. have received research funding to investigate the effects of topical products on the skin barrier from Astellas Pharma, Johnson & Johnson, Novartis and Stiefel, a GSK company. M.J.C. is a medical adviser to the National Eczema Society.
- Issue online: 25 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 25 MAY 2011
- 3British Pharmacopoeia. London: The Pharmaceutical Press, 1958.
- 5Skin surface pH: mechanism, measurement, importance. In: Handbook of Non-Invasive Methods and the Skin (SerupJ, JemecGB, GroveGL, eds). Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2006; 411–20., .
- 8A new understanding of atopic dermatitis: the role of epidermal barrier dysfunction and subclinical inflammation. J Clin Dermatol 2010; 1:33–46., .
- 11Atopic Eczema in Children – Guideline Consultation: A Systematic Review of the Treatments for Atopic Eczema and Guideline for its Management. London: National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE), 2007., , et al.
- 12Skin barrier breakdown: a renaissance in emollient therapy. Br J Nurs 2009; 4:6–7., .
- 13NHS Information Centre Prescribing Support Unit. Prescription Cost Analysis England 2009. London: NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care, 2010.
- 15An audit of adverse drug reactions to aqueous cream in children with atopic eczema. Pharm J 2003; 271:746–7., , et al.
- 17Asthma costs in Finland 1987–2005: a public health model to indicate cost effectiveness during 20 years. Fin Med J 2010; 65:811–16., , et al.