Funding sources The coordination and central laboratory analyses of the European centre were supported by the Fifth Framework Programme of the European Commission, Brussels, Belgium (QLK4-CT-1999-01288). Pharmacia Diagnostics (Uppsala, Sweden) made reagents available at nominal cost. C.F. holds a National Institute for Health Research Clinician Scientist Award.
EPIDEMIOLOGY AND HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH
Lack of evidence for a protective effect of prolonged breastfeeding on childhood eczema: lessons from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) Phase Two
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. BJD © 2011 British Association of Dermatologists 2011
British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 165, Issue 6, pages 1280–1289, December 2011
How to Cite
Flohr, C., Nagel, G., Weinmayr, G., Kleiner, A., Strachan, D.P., Williams, H.C. and the ISAAC Phase Two Study Group (2011), Lack of evidence for a protective effect of prolonged breastfeeding on childhood eczema: lessons from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) Phase Two. British Journal of Dermatology, 165: 1280–1289. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2011.10588.x
Conflicts of interest None declared.
Members of the ISAAC Phase Two Study Group are listed in Appendix 1. The views expressed in this publication are those of the authors and are not necessarily those of the NHS, the National Institute for Health Research or the U.K. Department of Health.
- Issue published online: 24 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 AUG 2011 09:15AM EST
- Accepted for publication 12 July 2011
- 9Six months of exclusive breastfeeding: how good is the evidence? BMJ 2011; 342:209–12., , , .
- 10Department of Health. Weaning and the Weaning Diet. Report of the Working Group on the Weaning Diet of the Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy. Report on Health and Social Subjects No. 45. London: HMSO, 1994.
- 18So How do I Define Atopic Eczema? A Practical Manual for Researchers Wishing to Define Atopic Eczema. Available at: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/dermatology/eczema/index.html (last accessed 20 August 2011)., .
- 22The World Bank. Working for a World Free of Poverty. Available at: http://www.worldbank (last accessed 20 August 2011).
- 24Breastfeeding and maternal and infant health outcomes in developed countries. Evid Rep Technol Assess 2007; 153:1–186., , et al.
- 25Optimal duration of breastfeeding. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002; 1:CD003517., .
- 26World Health Organisation. Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding. Geneva: WHO, 2002.
- 27Department of Health. Weaning – Starting Solid Food. London: Department of Health, 2008.
- 28the Committee on Nutrition and Section on Allergy Immunology. Effect of early nutritional interventions on the development of atopic disease in infants and children: the role of maternal dietary restriction, breastfeeding, timing of introduction of complementary foods, and hydrolyzed formulas. Pediatrics 2008; 1231:183–91., , , and