Funding sources This study was funded by Janssen Research & Development, LLC, Spring House, PA, U.S.A.
The safety of ustekinumab treatment in patients with moderate-to-severe psoriasis and latent tuberculosis infection
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. BJD © 2012 British Association of Dermatologists
British Journal of Dermatology
Volume 167, Issue 5, pages 1145–1152, November 2012
How to Cite
Tsai, T.-F., Ho, V., Song, M., Szapary, P., Kato, T., Wasfi, Y., Li, S., Shen, Y.K., Leonardi, C., on behalf of the PHOENIX 1, PHOENIX 2, ACCEPT, PEARL and Japanese Ustekinumab Study Groups (2012), The safety of ustekinumab treatment in patients with moderate-to-severe psoriasis and latent tuberculosis infection. British Journal of Dermatology, 167: 1145–1152. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2012.11142.x
Conflicts of interest Listed in the Appendix.
- Issue published online: 29 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 14 JUL 2012 10:14AM EST
- Accepted for publication 30 June 2012
- 1World Health Organization. Global Tuberculosis Control 2011 . Available at: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/en/index.html (last accessed 21 July 2012).
- 2World Health Organization. Media Centre, Tuberculosis Fact Sheet No 104 (March 2012) . Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/index.html (last accessed 21 July 2012).
- 4World Health Organization Regional Office for South East Asia. Communicable Diseases Department. Tuberculosis. TB/HIV . Available at: http://www.searo.who.int/en/section10/section2097/section2129.htm (last accessed 21 July 2012).
- 11for the PHOENIX 1 study investigators. Efficacy and safety of ustekinumab, a human interleukin-12/23 monoclonal antibody, in patients with psoriasis: 76-week results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (PHOENIX 1). Lancet 2008; 371:1165–74., , et al. ;
- 12for the PHOENIX 2 study investigators. Efficacy and safety of ustekinumab, a human interleukin-12/23 monoclonal antibody, in patients with psoriasis: 52-week results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (PHOENIX 2). Lancet 2008; 371:1675–84., , et al. ;
- 15the Japanese Ustekinumab Study Group. Efficacy and safety of ustekinumab in Japanese patients with moderate-to-severe plaque-type psoriasis: long-term results from a phase 2/3 clinical trial. J Dermatol 2012; 39:242–52., , et al. ;
- 16Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Targeted tuberculin testing and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection. MMWR 2000; 49:1–51.
- 18PDR Network, LLC. Isoniazid . Available at: http://www.pdr.net/drugpages/concisemonograph.aspx?concise=1708 (last accessed 21 July 2012).
- 19U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) and Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER). Guidance for Industry, Drug-Induced Liver Injury: Premarketing Clinical Evaluation (2009) Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM174090.pdf (last accessed 21 July 2012).
- 20A case of latent tuberculosis reactivation in a patient treated with ustekinumab without concomitant isoniazid chemoprophylaxis in the PEARL trial. Br J Dermatol. 2012. Epub ahead of print 20 Jul 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1365.2133.2012.11162.x., , , .
- 26for the BIOBADASER Group. Risk of tuberculosis in patients treated with tumor necrosis factor antagonists due to incomplete prevention of reactivation of latent infection. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 57:756–61., , ;
- 28Tuberculosis and tumour necrosis factor-α inhibitor therapy: a report of three cases in patients with psoriasis. Comprehensive screening and therapeutic guidelines for clinicians. Br J Dermatol 2009; 160:8–15., , .
- 30Clinical experience of QuantiFERON®-TB Gold testing in patients with psoriasis treated with tumour necrosis factor blockers in Taiwan. Br J Dermatol 2011; 164:553–9., , .