John Hageman's factor and deep-vein thrombosis: Leiden Thrombophilia Study
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2008
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 87, Issue 2, pages 422–424, June 1994
How to Cite
Koster, T., Rosendaal, F. R., Briet, E. and Vandenbroucke, J. P. (1994), John Hageman's factor and deep-vein thrombosis: Leiden Thrombophilia Study. British Journal of Haematology, 87: 422–424. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.1994.tb04937.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2008
- Received 27 January 1994; accepted for publication 7 March 1994
- clotting factor XII;
- Hageman factor;
- venous thrombosis;
- case-control study
SUMMARY. Because the relationship between factor XII deficiency and venous thrombosis in unclear and study results seem contradictory, we undertook a populationbased case-control study.
Among 350 unselected patients younger than 70 years, with a first, objectively confirmed, episode of deep-vein thrombosis and without underlying malignant disease we detected a 6% frequency (21/350 patients) of factor XII deficiency (activity level 57%). Among 350 healthy control subjects, matched for age and sex, the frequency was 5% (18 subjects). Thus there is no increase in prevalence of factor XII deficiency among thrombosis patients and no increase in thrombosis risk for subjects with low factor XII levels (mathced odds ratio 1.2 (95% CI 0.6-2.4)). In addition, there was no relation between strata of factor XII levels and thrombosis risk. In conclusion, we do not consider factor XII to be a determinant of deep-vein thrombosis.