From July 2003, D.F.O'S. has been a Consultant Advisor to the UK Department of Health.
Guidelines for the use of fresh-frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate and cryosupernatant
Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2004
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 126, Issue 1, pages 11–28, July 2004
How to Cite
British Committee for Standards in Haematology, Blood Transfusion Task Force (J. Duguid, Chairman), O'Shaughnessy, D. F., Atterbury, C., Bolton Maggs, P., Murphy, M., Thomas, D., Yates, S. and Williamson, L. M. (2004), Guidelines for the use of fresh-frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate and cryosupernatant. British Journal of Haematology, 126: 11–28. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2004.04972.x
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2004
- Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2004
- American Association of Blood Banks (2002) In: Blood Transfusion Therapy: A Physician's Handbook, 7th edn (ed. by D.J.Triulzi). American Association of Blood Banks, Bethesda, MD.
- 2001) Transfusing methylene blue – photoinactivated plasma instead of FFP is associated with an increased demand for plasma and cryoprecipitate. Transfusion, 41, 1548–1552. , & (
- 1998) Management of warfarin (coumarin) overdose. Blood Review, 12, 91–98. (
- BCSH (1988) Guidelines for transfusion for massive blood loss. Clinical Laboratory Haematology, 10, 265–273.
- BCSH (1990a) Guidelines on hospital blood bank documentations and procedures. Journal of Clinical Laboratory and Haematology, 12, 209–220.
- BCSH (1990b) Guidelines on oral anticoagulation: second edition. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 43, 177–183.
- BCSH (1992) Guidelines for the use of fresh frozen plasma. Transfusion Medicine, 2, 57–63.
- BCSH (1994) Guidelines for administration of blood products, transfusion of infants and neonates. Transfusion Medicine, 4, 63–69.
- BCSH (1998) Guidelines on oral anticoagulation: third edition. British Journal of Haematology, 101, 374–385.
- BCSH (1999) Guidelines for administration of blood products, and management of transfused patients. Transfusion Medicine, 9, 227–238.
- BCSH (2003) Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of the thrombotic microangiopathic haemolytic anaemias. British Journal of Haematology, 120, 556–573.
- BCSH (2004) Guidelines on the transfusion of neonates and older children. British Journal of Haematology, 124, 433–453.
- 1971) Class specific anti-IgA associated with severe anaphylactic transfusion reactions in a patient with pernicious anaemia. Vox Sanguinis, 21, 411–424. & (
- 1975) Heparin therapy during extracorporeal circulation: II. The use of a dose-response curve to individualize heparin and protamine dosage. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 69, 686–689. , , & (
- 1988) Severity of anaemia and operative mortality and morbidity. Lancet, 331, 727–729. , , & (
- 1987) Clotting factor levels and the risk of diffuse microvascular bleeding in the massively transfused patient. British Journal of Haematology, 67, 365–368. , , , , , & (
- 1993) Avoiding the use of FFP. British Medical Journal, 307, 395–396. (
- College of American Pathologists Practice Guidelines Development Task Force (1994) Practice parameters for the usage of FFP, cryo and platelets. Journal of the American Medical Association, 271, 777–781.
- Council of Europe (2004) Guide to the Preparation, Use and Quality Assurance of Blood Components, 10th edn. Council of Europe Publishing, Strasbourg.
- 2001) Role of methylene blue treated of fresh frozen plasma in the response to plasma exchange in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopic purpura. British Journal of Haematology, 114, 721–723. , , , , , & (
- Department of Health (1998) Vitamin K for New Born Babies. PL/CMO/98/3, PL/CMO/98/4. Department of Health, London.
- Det Norske Veritas (1999) Assessment of the Risk of Exposure to vCJD Infectivity in Blood and Blood Products. A Report to Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee. Det Norske Veritas, London.
- 2003) Second vCJD patient to receive experimental treatment. British Medical Journal, 273, 886. (
- 2000) Audits of appropriate use of FFP. Bloods Matters, 4, 5–8. , & (
- 2001) Does red cell T activation matter? British Journal of Haematology, 114, 25–30. & (
- 1999) Solvent/detergent fresh frozen plasma as primary treatment of acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, 21, 119–123. , , , & (
- Food Standards Agency (2003) OTM Rule Review: Core Stakeholder Group Report. WWW document. URL: http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk.
- 1998) Von Willebrand factor cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the haemolytic uraemic syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine, 339, 1578. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2003) The effect of methylene blue photoinactivation and methylene blue removal on the quality of fresh-frozen plasma. Transfusion, 43, 1238–1247. , , , , , , & (
- 1999) Transfusion Medicine 2nd of 2 parts. New England Journal of Medicine, 340, 525–533. (
- 1975) Use of factor VII-rich prothromin complex concentrate in liver disease. Lancet, 1, 1311–1314. , , & (
- 1980) Haemostatic disorders in massive transfusion. Biblioteca Haematologica, 46, 179–188. & (
- 1996) Plasma exchange with solvent/detergent plasma of resistant thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. British Journal of Haematology, 94, 756–758. , , & (
- 2002) Indications for plasma in massive transfusion. Thrombosis Research, 107(Suppl. 1), S19–S22. & (
- 1995) Sonoclot analysis. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 75, 771–776. , , & (
- 1990) Massive blood transfusion. British Medical Journal, 300, 107–109. & (
- 1995) Hemostatic factors and replacement of major blood loss with plasma-poor red cell concentrates. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 81, 360–365. , & (
- 2002) Accumulation of prion protein in tonsil and appendix: review of tissue samples. British Medical Journal, 325, 633–634. , , , , , , & (
- 1990) Prophylactic tranexamic acid decreases bleeding after cardiac operations. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 99, 70–74. , , , , , & (
- 2000) Transmission of BSE by blood transfusion in sheep. Lancet, 356, 999–1000. , , , & (
- 1991) Modifying periperative blood loss. Blood Reviews, 5, 168–176. (
- 2002) Transmission of prion diseases by blood transfusion. Journal of General Virology, 83, 2897–2905. , , , , , , & (
- 2003) Pulmonary embolism in liver transplant setting associated with the use of solvent detergent plasma. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 1(Suppl. 1), abstract no. OC159. , , , , & (
- 1999) Transfusion related acute lung injury. British Journal of Haematology, 105, 322–329. & (
- 2001) Use of ICHOR-platelet works to assess platelet function in patients treated with GP IIb/IIIa inhibitors. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, 53, 346–351. , , , , & (
- International Study of Peri-Operative Transfusion (ISPOT) Investigators (1997) Drugs to minimize perioperative blood loss in cardiac surgery: meta-analyses using perioperative blood transfusion as the outcome. Anaesthesth and Analgesia, 85, 1258–1267. & for the
- 1999) Disseminated intravascular coagulation. New England Journal of Medicine, 341, 586–592. & (
- 1999) Application of a time-resolved fluoroimmunoassay for the analysis of normal prion protein in human blood and its components. Vox Sanguinis, 77, 88–96. , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1984) Thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura. British Journal of Haematology, 56, 191–197. (
- 2001) The management of coumarin induced over anticoagulation. British Journal of Haematology, 114, 271–280. & (
- 1997) Emergency oral anticoagulant reversal: the relative efficacy of infusions of fresh frozen plasma and clotting factor concentrate on correction of the coagulopathy. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 77, 477–480. , , , , & (
- 1999) The influence of developmental haemostasis on the laboratory diagnosis and management of haemostatic disorders during infancy and childhood. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, 19, 39–69. , , , , & (
- 1976) Correction of abnormal coagulation in chronic liver disease by combined use of fresh frozen plasma and prothrombin complex concentrates. Lancet, 2, 542–545. , & (
- 1982) Haemostasis testing during massive blood replacement. A study of 127 cases. Vox Sanguinis, 42, 113–123. , & (
- 1993) Consise review: methaemoglobinaemia. American Journal of Haematology, 42, 7–12. & (
- McClelland, D.B.L. (ed.) (2001) The Handbook of Transfusion Medicine, 3rd edn. HMSO, London. http://www.thestationeryoffice.co.uk/nbs/handbook2001/index.htm.
- 1972) Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine, 5th edn. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, p. 188. (
- 1999) NV CJD, the risk of transmission by blood transfusion and potential benefit of leucocyte reduction of blood components. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 13, 75–83. (
- 2001) Febrile reactions and TRALI. In: Practical Transfusion Medicine (ed. by Murphy, M.F. & Pamphilon, D.H.), pp. 157–163. Blackwell Science, Oxford. (
- Northern Neonatal Nursing Initiative Trial Group (1996) Randomised trial of prophylactic early fresh-frozen plasma or gelatin or glucose in preterm babies: outcome at 2 years. Lancet, 348, 229–232.
- 2000) Communication theory in the setting of blood transfusion in a DGH, MBA thesis. Oxford Brookes University. (
- 1999) T and Tk antigen activation in necrotising enterocolitis: manifestations, severity of illness and effectiveness of testing. Archives of Diseases in Childhood, Fetal and Neonatal Edition, 80, 192F–197F. , , , , & (
- 2001) A randomized controlled trial of transfusion related acute lung injury: is plasma from multiparous blood donors dangerous? Transfusion, 41, 317–322. , , & (
- 2000) Viral inactivation of FFP. British Journal of Haematology, 109, 680–693. (
- 1998) Aprotinin: an update of its pharmacology of therapeutic use in open heart surgery and coronary artery bypass surgery. Drugs, 57, 233–260. & (
- 2004) Patient's death from vCJD may be linked to blood transfusion. Lancet, 363, 43. (
- 1992) Transfusion related acute lung injury a neglected, serious complication of haemotherapy. Transfusion, 32, 589–592. , & (
- Members of the Canadian Apheresis Group (1996) Cryosupernatant as repalcement fluid for plasma exchange in the thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. British Journal of Haematology, 39, 1227–1234. , , , , , &
- 1995) IgA anaphylactic transfusion reactions. Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 9, 1–8. , , & (
- 1994) Bacteria in blood for transfusion: a review. Archives of Pathology Laboratory Medicine, 118, 350–365. (
- Serious Hazards of Transfusion (2001) Annual Report 1999–2000. ISBN 0 9532 789 3 X.
- Serious Hazards of Transfusion (2002) Annual Report 2000–2001. ISBN 0 9532 789 4 8.
- Serious Hazards of Transfusion (2003) Annual Report 2001–2002. ISBN 0 9532 789 5 6.
- 2001) Coagulation factors in FFP and cryosupernatant. Transfusion Medicine, 11, 391–401. , & (
- 1999) Thromboelastography-guided transfusion algorithm reduces transfusions in complex cardiac surgery. Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 88, 312–319. , , , , & (
- 2003) Transfusion-related acute lung injury: epidemiology and a prospective analysis of etiologic factors. Blood, 101, 454–462. , , , , & (
- 2003) Composition, efficacy, and safety of S/D-treated plasma (letter). Transfusion, 43, 1176–1178. & (
- 2000) Viral Safety of solvent/detergent treated plasma. Transfusion, 40, 84–90. , , , , & (
- 2001) A National Audit of the Use of Fresh Frozen Plasma. NBS. WWW docment. URL: http://www.nbsweb/med/ca/pf/ffprep.pdf & (
- 2000) Commentary. Management of massive blood loss: a template guideline. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 85, 487–491. , & (
- 2004) Is FFP clinically effective? A systematic review of randomised controlled trials. British Journal of Haematology, in press. , , , & (
- 1998) New variant CJD: the risk of transmission via blood products. Blood Reviews, 12, 255–268. & (
- United Kingdom Blood Transfusion Services/National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (2002) Guidelines for the Blood Transfusion Services in the United Kingdom, 6th edn. TSO. WWW document. URL: http://www.thestationeryoffice.com.nbs/rdbk2001/guidelines.htm and http://www.transfusionguidelines.org.uk.
- United Kingdom Haemophilia Centre Directors’ Organisation (1997) Guidelines on therapeutic products to treat haemophilia and other hereditary coagulation disorders. Haemophilia, 3, 63–77.
- United Kingdom Haemophilia Centre Directors’ Organisation (2003) Guidelines on the selection and use of therapeutic products to treat haemophilia and other hereditary bleeding disorders. Haemophilia, 9, 1–23.
- 1996) A new variant of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in the UK. Lancet, 347, 921–925. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Storage of blood components. In: Practical Transfusion Medicine (ed. by M.F.Murphy & D.H.Pamphilon), pp. 231–243. Blackwell Science, Oxford. (
- 1999) A randomised trial of solvent/detergent and standard fresh frozen plasma in the coagulopathy of liver disease and liver transplantation. Transfusion, 39, 1227–1234. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Evaluation of a platelet function analyser (PFA 100) in patients with a bleeding tendency. Swiss Medical Weekly, 132, 443–448. , , & (
- 2003) Venous thromboembolism associated with the management of acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. British Journal of Haematology, 121, 778–785. , , , , & (
- The North American TTP Group (2001) Cryoprecipitate poor plasma does not improve early response in primary adult thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Journal of Clinical Apheresis, 16, 19–22. , , , , , , , , &
- 1998) Prevention of vitamin K deficiency. Bleeding in newborns. British Journal of Haematology, 104, 430–437. (