Venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients: a public health crisis?
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2008
© 2008 The Author. Journal Compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 141, Issue 6, pages 764–770, June 2008
How to Cite
Baglin, T. (2008), Venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients: a public health crisis?. British Journal of Haematology, 141: 764–770. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2008.07141.x
- Issue online: 22 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2008
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2001) Making health care safer: a critical analysis of patient safety practices. In: Evidence Report/Technology Assessment report number 43. AHRQ Publication 01-E058, http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/ptsafety/pdf/ptsafety.pdf.
- American Public Health Association (2003) Deep-vein thrombosis: advancing awareness to protect patient lives. http://www.apha.org/NR/rdonlyres/A209F84A-7C0E-4761-9ECF-61D22E1E11F7/0/DVT_White_Paper.pdf .
- 2007) Thromboprophylaxis rates in US medical centers: success or failure? Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 5, 1610–1616. , , & (
- 2003) Risk factors for venous thromboembolism. Circulation, 107, I9–I16. & (
- 1997) Fatal pulmonary embolism in hospitalised medical patients. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 50, 609–610. , & (
- 2001) Deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis: the effectiveness and implications of using below-knee or thigh-length graduated compression stockings. Heart and Lung, 30, 277–284. (
- 2000) PEP trial. Pulmonary embolism prevention. Lancet, 356, 247. & (
- 2001) Extended thromboprophylaxis with low molecular weight heparin reduces symptomatic venous thromboembolism following lower limb arthroplasty – a meta-analysis. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 85, 940–941. , , & (
- 2008) Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet, 371, 387–394. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1988) Reduction in fatal pulmonary embolism and venous thrombosis by perioperative administration of subcutaneous heparin. Overview of results of randomized trials in general, orthopedic, and urologic surgery. New England Journal of Medicine, 318, 1162–1173. , , & (
- 2005) Fatal vascular outcomes following major orthopedic surgery. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 93, 860–866. , , , , , , & (
- Department of Health (2007) Report of the independent expert working group on the prevention of venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_073944 .
- 2000) A meta-analysis of thromboembolic prophylaxis following elective total hip arthroplasty. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 82-A, 929–938. , , , & (
- 2004) Prevention of venous thromboembolism: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest, 126, 338S–400S. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Preventing pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis: a ‘call to action’ for vascular medicine specialists. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 5, 1607–1609. (
- House of Commons Health Committee (2005) The prevention of venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients, Second Report of Session 2004–05, May 2007. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmhealth/99/99.pdf.
- 2006) Aspirin in the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 4, 1470–1475. , , & (
- 2007) Multicenter evaluation of the use of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in acutely ill medical patients in Canada. Thrombosis Research, 119, 145–155. , , , , , , , & (
- 1993) Low molecular weight versus standard heparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism after major abdominal surgery. The Thromboprophylaxis Collaborative Group. Lancet, 341, 259–265. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Compliance with recommended prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism: improving the use and rate of uptake of clinical practice guidelines. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 2, 221–227. , & (
- 2001) Prevention of venous thromboembolism. In: Hemostasis and Thrombosis: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice (ed. by R.Colman, J.Hirsh, V.Marder, A.Clowes & J.George), pp. 1393–1404. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia. & (
- 2006) The management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. British Journal of Haematology, 133, 259–269. , & (
- 2001) Low molecular weight heparin and unfractionated heparin in thrombosis prophylaxis: meta-analysis based on original patient data. Thrombosis Research, 102, 295–309. , , & (
- 2005) Electronic alerts to prevent venous thromboembolism among hospitalized patients. New England Journal of Medicine, 352, 969–977. , , , , , & (
- 2002) Postoperative fondaparinux versus preoperative enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in elective hip-replacement surgery: a randomised double-blind comparison. Lancet, 359, 1715–1720. , , & (
- 1992) Low molecular weight heparin in prevention of perioperative thrombosis. British Medical Journal, 305, 913–920. , , , & (
- 1991) Incidence of venous thromboembolism verified by necropsy over 30 years. British Medical Journal, 302, 709–711. , & (
- 1996) Thromboprophylaxis and death after total hip replacement. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 78-B, 863–870. , & (
- NICE (2007a) Venous thromboembolism: reducing the risk of venous thromboembolism (deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) in inpatients undergoing surgery. http://www.nice.org.uk/CG046 .
- NICE (2007b) Venous thromboembolism: consultation – responses to comments. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/VTE_Consultation_comments_table.pdf .
- NICE (2007c) The prevention of venous thromboembolism in all hospital patients. http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/index.jsp?action=byID&o=11658 .
- NICE (2007d) Venous thromboembolism. Costing report: implementing NICE guidance. http://www.nice.org.uk/usingguidance/implementationtools/costingtools/venous_thromboembolism_costing_report.jsp .
- 2007) Early mobilisation after conventional knee replacement may reduce the risk of postoperative venous thromboembolism. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 89-B, 316–322. , , & (
- 1990) A comparison of general anesthesia and regional anesthesia as a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis following hip surgery: a critical review. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 64, 497–500. & (
- Pulmonary Embolism Prevention (PEP) Trial Collaborative Group (2000) Prevention of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis with low dose aspirin: pulmonary embolism prevention (PEP) trial. Lancet, 355, 1295–1302.
- 2000) Generalisations on benefits of aspirin are dangerous. British Medical Journal, 321, 569. & (
- 2005) Towards evidence-based guidelines for the prevention of venous thromboembolism: systematic reviews of mechanical methods, oral anticoagulation, dextran and regional anaesthesia as thromboprophylaxis. Health Technology Assessment, 9, iii–iv, ix–x, 1–78. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Epidemiology of venous thromboembolism after lower limb arthroplasty: the FOTO study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 5, 2360–2367. , , , , & (
- 1989) Autopsy proven pulmonary embolism in hospital patients: are we detecting enough deep vein thrombosis? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 82, 203–205. & (
- 2004) Methodology for guideline development for the Seventh American College of Chest Physicians Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest, 126, 174S–178S. , , , , , & (
- 1992) The hemodynamic and fibrinolytic response to low dose epinephrine and phenylephrine infusions during total hip replacement under epidural anesthesia. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 68, 436–441. , , & (
- 1981) A clinico-pathological study of fatal pulmonary embolism in a specialist orthopaedic hospital. Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, 99, 65–71. , , & (
- 2007) Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in acutely ill hospitalized medical patients: findings from the International Medical Prevention Registry on Venous Thromboembolism. Chest, 132, 936–945. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- Thromboembolism Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group (1992) Risk of and prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism in hospital patients. Thromboembolic Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group. British Medical Journal, 305, 567–574.
- 1995) Differences in mortality after fracture of hip: the east Anglian audit. British Medical Journal, 310, 904–908. , , , , , , , & (
- 1995) Death and thromboembolic disease after total hip replacement. A series of 1162 cases with no routine chemical prophylaxis. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 77-B, 6–10. , & (
- 2004) Effect of age on the incidence of venous thromboembolism after major surgery. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 2, 1327–1333. , & (
- 2002) Mortality, morbidity, and 1-year outcomes of primary elective total hip arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty, 17, 165–171. , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Hospitals’ compliance with prophylaxis guidelines for venous thromboembolism. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 64, 69–76. , , & (