Stem cell donation – What advice can be given to the donor?
Article first published online: 13 AUG 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 147, Issue 1, pages 71–76, October 2009
How to Cite
Pamphilon, D., Siddiq, S., Brunskill, S., Dorée, C., Hyde, C., Horowitz, M. and Stanworth, S. (2009), Stem cell donation – What advice can be given to the donor?. British Journal of Haematology, 147: 71–76. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2009.07832.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 13 AUG 2009
- 1996) Biologic and clinical effects of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in normal individuals. Blood, 88, 2819–2825. , , & (
- 2004) Splenic rupture after granulocyte colony-stimulating-factor mobilization in a peripheral blood progenitor cell donor. Transfusion, 44, 8. , , , & (
- 2002) Searching for unrelated donor hematopoietic stem cells: availability and speed of umbilical cord blood versus bone marrow. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 8, 257–260. , , , , & (
- 2004) An evaluation of the donor experience in the canadian multicenter randomized trial of bone marrow versus peripheral blood allografting. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 10, 405–414. , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 1984) Marrow harvesting from normal donors. Blood, 64, 630–634. , , , , , , , , & (
- Commission Directive 2006/17/EC (2006) Commission Directive 2006/17/EC Implementing Directive 2004/23/EC of the European Parliament and Council as regards Certain Technical Requirements for the Donation, Procurement and Testing of Human Tissues and Cells. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_038/l_03820060209en00400052.pdf .
- Commission Directive 2006/86/EC (2006) Commission Directive 2006/86/EC implementing Directive 2004/23/EC of the European Parliament and Council as regards Traceability Requirements, Notification of Severe Adverse Reactions and Events and Certain Technical Requirements for the Coding, Processing, Preservation, Storage and Distribution of Human Tissues and Cells. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_294/l_29420061025en00320050.pdf .
- 2004) Hematopoietic Cell Donors in Thomas’ Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, pp. 538–549. Blackwell publishing, Oxford, UK. , , & ed. (
- 2008) Follow-up of healthy donors receiving granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for peripheral blood progenitor cell mobilization and collection. Results of the Spanish Donor Registry. Haematologica, 93, 735–740. , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Splenic rupture in a parental donor undergoing peripheral blood progenitor cell mobilization. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 26, 761–763. , & (
- Directive 2004/23/EC (2004) Directive 2004/23/EC of the European Parliament and Council on Setting Standards of Quality and Safety for the Donation, Procurement, Testing, Processing, Preservation, Storage and Distribution of Human Tissues and Cells. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=32004L0023&model=guichett .
- FACT-JACIE (2008) International Standards for Cellulartherapy Product Collection, Processing, and Administration. 4th edn. http://www.jacie.org/portal/jacie/standards/Controller;jsessionid=82C21008E27070C175370AEFBAE9BE9D?mvchandler=portals&action=show-screen&screen=workspace&idSection=1268.
- 1999) Spontaneous rupture of spleen during peripheral blood stem-cell mobilization in a healthy donor. Lancet, 353, 555. , , & (
- 2003) Differences between graft product and donor side effects following bone marrow or stem cell donation. European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT). Bone Marrow Transplantation, 32, 873–880. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Healthy sibling donor anxiety and pain during bone marrow or peripheral blood stem cell harvesting for allogeneic transplantation: results of a randomised study. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 29, 145–149. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Registries for Evaluating Patient Outcomes; A User’s Guide, (Prepared by Outcome DEcIDE Center [Outcome Sciences, Inc. dba Outcome] under Contract No. HHSA29020050035ITO1.) AHRQ Publication No. 07-EHC001-1. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. & eds. (
- 2007) Joint Accreditation Committee of the International Society for Cellular Therapy ISCT; European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation EBMT. Result of the EBMT activity survey 2005 on hematopoietic stem cell transplantation:focus on increasing use of unrelated donors. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 39, 71–87. , , , & (
- 2008) Joint Accreditation Committee of the International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT); European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation EBMT (JACIE)The EBMT activity survey 2006 on hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: focus on the use of cord blood products. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 41, 687–705. , , , , & (
- 2009) Severe events in donors after allogeneic hemapoietic stem cell donation. Haematologica, 94, 94–101. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1996) Safety of Allo-PBPCT donors: biometrical considerations on monitoring long term risks. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 2(Suppl.), S28–S30. & (
- 2002) Donation of stem cells from blood or bone marrow: results of a randomised study of safety and complaints. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 29, 479–486. , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) Evaluation of hematopoietic stem cell donors. Transfusion Medicine (with AABB), Hematology, American Society of Hematology, Education Program Book, 2005, 469–475. & (
- 2003) Impact of Stem Cell Donation modality on normal donor quality of life: a prospective randomized study. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 31, 1033–1035. , , , , & (
- 2008) Twenty years of unrelated donor bone marrow transplants for paediatric acute leukaemia facilitated by the National Marrow Donor Program. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 14, 16–22. , , , , , & (
- 2000) Unrelated donor marrow transplantation for chronic myelogenous leukaemia: 9 years experience of the national marrow donor program. Blood, 95, 22. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Recovery and Safety Profiles of Marrow and PBSC Donors: Experience of the National Marrow Donor Program. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 14, 29–36. , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Granulocyte-colony stimulating factor generates epigenetic and genetic alterations in lymphocytes of normal volunteer donors of stem cells. Experimental Haematology, 32, 122–130. , , & (
- 2006) Spontaneous splenic rupture in a healthy allogeneic donor of peripheral-blood stem cell following the administration of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (g-csf). A case report and review of the literature. Haematologica, 91(Suppl. 5), ECR08. , , , & (
- 2008) The use of granulocyte-colony-stimulating factor in volunteer unrelated hemopoietic stem cell donors. Transfusion, 48, 1495–1501. , , , & (
- 2008) Intracranial hemorrhage caused by cerebrovascular malformation after donation of rhG-CSF-primed allogeneic PBSC. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 42, 61–62. , , , , & (
- 2009) Adverse Events Among 2048 Unrelated Donors of Peripheral Blood Stem Cells: results of a Prospective Trial from the National Marrow Donor Program. Blood, 113, 3604–3611. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2009) Analysis of Risk Factors for Outcomes After Unrelated Cord Blood Transplantation in Adults with Lymphoid Malignancies: A study by the Eurocord – Netcord and Lymphoma Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 27, 256–263. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Experiences of donors in a randomized study of allogeneic bone marrow or peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Blood, 97, 2541–2548. , , , & (
- International Bone Marrow Transplant Registry; European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2006) Long-term outcome of patients given transplants of mobilized blood or bone marrow: a report from the International Bone Marrow Transplant Registry and the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. Blood, 108, 4288–4290. , , , , , , , , &
- 2009) Bone marrow harvest versus peripheral stem cell collection for haemopoietic stem cell donation in healthy donors. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD006406. doi: DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006406.pub2. , , , , & (
- 2001) Donating stimulated peripheral blood stem cells vs bone marrow: do donors experience the procedures differently? Bone Marrow Transplantation, 27, 917–923. , , , & (
- World Marrow Donor Association (2005) World Marrow Donor Association International standards for Unrelated Hematopoietic Stem Cell Donor Registries. http://www.worldmarrow.org/fileadmin/WorkingGroups_Subcommittees/Accreditation/Documents/standards_history/WMDA_Standards-version_December_15-2005.pdf .