Date for guideline review September 2012
Significant haemoglobinopathies: guidelines for screening and diagnosis
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 149, Issue 1, pages 35–49, April 2010
How to Cite
Ryan, K., Bain, B. J., Worthington, D., James, J., Plews, D., Mason, A., Roper, D., Rees, D. C., De La Salle, B., Streetly, A. and On behalf of the British Committee for Standards in Haematology (2010), Significant haemoglobinopathies: guidelines for screening and diagnosis. British Journal of Haematology, 149: 35–49. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2009.08054.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2010
- 1977) Hemoglobin A2 levels in health and various hematologic disorders. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 67, 219–226. , & (
- 1972) False-positive test for hemoglobin S. Journal of the American Medical Association, 220, 126. & (
- 2006) Haemoglobinopathy Diagnosis, 2nd edn. ISBN: 978-1-4051-3516-0. Wiley Blackwell, Oxford. (
- BCSH (1988) BCSH General Haematology Task Force: guidelines for haemoglobinopathy screening. Clinical and Laboratory Haematology, 10, 87–94.
- BCSH (1994a) Guidelines for investigation of the alpha and beta thalassaemia traits. The Thalassaemia Working Party of the BCSH General Haematology Task Force. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 47, 289–295.
- BCSH (1994b) Guidelines for the fetal diagnosis of globin gene disorders. Globin Gene Disorder Working Party of the BCSH General Haematology Task Force. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 47, 199–204.
- BCSH (1998) The laboratory diagnosis of haemoglobinopathies. British Journal of Haematology, 101, 783–792.
- 1970) An assessment of Sickledex as an alternative to the sickling test. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 23, 736–737. & (
- 1993) Acquired unbalanced hemoglobin chain synthesis during HIV infection. Comptes Rendus de l’Academie des Sciences. Serie III, Sciences de la Vie, 316, 437–440. , , , , , & (
- 2005) Implications of increased haemoglobin A2 values in HIV positive women in the antenatal clinic. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 58, 556–558. , , & (
- 2006) Dacie and Lewis Practical Haematology, 10th edn. Churchill Livingstone, UK. , & (
- 1972) False positive results with a rapid solubility test for haemoglobin S. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 25, 458–459. , & (
- National Collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health (2008) Antenatal Care Routine Care for the Healthy Pregnant Woman, 2nd edn. RCOG Press, London.
- NHS (2000) The NHS Plan. A Plan for Investment. A Plan for Reform. © Crown copyright. HMSO, London.
- NHS Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Screening Programme (2006) Standards for the Linked Antenatal and Newborn Screening Programme. http://sct.screening.nhs.uk/getdata.php?id=10628 .
- NHS Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Screening Programme (2009) Handbook for Laboratories, 2nd edn. NHS Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Screening Programme, London. http://sct.screening.nhs.uk/cms.php?folder=2493 .
- NICE (2003) NICE Guideline: Preoperative tests: The use of Routine Preoperative Tests for Elective Surgery. Clinical Guideline 3. National Institute for Clinical Excellence, London. http://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG3 .
- 1999) An analysis of relative costs and potential benefits of different policies for antenatal screening for beta thalassaemia trait and variant haemoglobins. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 52, 697–700. , , , & (
- 2007) Increased haemoglobin A2 percentage in HIV infection: disease or treatment? AIDS, 21, 1207–1208. , , & (