Venous thrombosis prevention – more than just guidelines
Version of Record online: 8 FEB 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 149, Issue 1, pages 50–54, April 2010
How to Cite
Clark, P., Wu, O., Greer, I. A. and Lowe, G. D. O. (2010), Venous thrombosis prevention – more than just guidelines. British Journal of Haematology, 149: 50–54. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2010.08080.x
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 FEB 2010
- All-Party Parliamentary Thrombosis Group (2009) Thrombosis: Awareness, Assessment, Management and Prevention. Third Annual Audit of NHS Acute Hospital Trusts. London. Available as a download from: http://www.dvtreport.com.
- 2001) Missed opportunities for prevention of venous thromboembolism: an evaluation of the use of thromboprophylaxis guidelines. Chest, 120, 1964–1971. , & (
- 2009) North American and British guidelines for anti-thrombotic therapy: are we reaching consensus. Thrombosis Research, 123, 111–123. & (
- for the ENDORSE Investigators (2008) Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet, 371, 387–393. , , , , , , , , & ,
- 2009) Prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism in the US: improving hospital performance. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7, 1437–1445. (
- Department of Health (2008a) Guidelines on the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients. London http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Lettersand circulars/Dearcolleagueletters/DH_416226.
- Department of Health (2008b) Guidance: venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment. Vol. 2009, London. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_088215 .
- 2008) Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism. American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest, 133, 381S–453S. , , , , , & (
- 2001) Changing provider behaviour: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions. Medical Care, 39, II2–II45. , & (
- House of Commons Health Committee (2005) The Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalised Patients: Second Report of Session 2004–2005. The Stationery Office limited, London.
- for the Curve study investigators (2007) Multicenter evaluation of the use of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in acutely ill medical patients in Canada. Thrombosis Research, 119, 145–155. , , , , , , , & ,
- 2004) Agreement of four competing guidelines on prevention of venous thromboembolism and comparison with observed physician practices: a cross-sectional study of 1,032 medical inpatients. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19, 849–855. , , & (
- NHS QIS (2008) National Overview – October 2008 Blood Transfusion. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland, Edinburgh.
- NICE (2007) Venous Thromboembolism. Reducing the Risk of Venous Thromboembolism (Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism) in Inpatients Undergoing Surgery. NICE, London.
- Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (2006) Reports 200402133 200501127. SPSO, Edinburgh.
- SIGN (1995) Prophylaxis of Venous Thromboembolism. Guideline No. 2. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network, Edinburgh.
- 2006) Report of the Independent Expert Working Group on the Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalised Patients. Department of Health, London. (
- Thromboembolic Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group (1992) Regular review: risk of and prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients. British Medical Journal, 305, 567–574.
- 2007) Survey of hospitals for guidelines, policies and protocols for anticoagulants. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 64, 1203–1208. , , , & (
- 1999) Implementation of a national guideline on prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism: a survey of acute services in Scotland. Health Bulletin, 57, 141–147. , , & (
- on behalf of the “TREATS” Group (2007) Stock-take of Guidance and Audit Relating to Venous Thromboembolism Prevention and Treatment in NHS Scotland. NHS Quality Improvement Scotland, Edinburgh. , & ,