Defining the population in need of thromboprophylaxis – making hospitals safer
Article first published online: 26 APR 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 149, Issue 6, pages 805–812, June 2010
How to Cite
Baglin, T. (2010), Defining the population in need of thromboprophylaxis – making hospitals safer. British Journal of Haematology, 149: 805–812. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2010.08158.x
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 26 APR 2010
- 2004) Fatal pulmonary embolism in hospitalised patients: a necropsy review. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 57, 1254–1257. , , & (
- 2007) Thromboprophylaxis rates in US medical centers: success or failure? Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 5, 1610–1616. , , & (
- 2008) Venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients: a public health crisis? British Journal of Haematology, 141, 764–770. (
- 1997) Fatal pulmonary embolism in hospitalised medical patients. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 50, 609–610. , & (
- 2002) The autopsy: lessons from the National Confidential Enquiry into Perioperative Deaths. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 95, 328–330. , , , & (
- 1996) The changing pattern of venous thromboembolic disease. Haemostasis, 26, 65–71. , , , & (
- 2005) Assessment of venous thromboembolism risk and the benefits of thromboprophylaxis in medical patients. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 94, 750–759. , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Venous thromboembolism (VTE) in Europe. The number of VTE events and associated morbidity and mortality. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 98, 756–764. , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2008) Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet, 371, 387–394. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1988) Reduction in fatal pulmonary embolism and venous thrombosis by perioperative administration of subcutaneous heparin. Overview of results of randomized trials in general, orthopedic, and urologic surgery. New England Journal of Medicine, 318, 1162–1173. , , & (
- 2007) Meta-analysis: anticoagulant prophylaxis to prevent symptomatic venous thromboembolism in hospitalized medical patients. Annals of Internal Medicine, 146, 278–288. , , , & (
- Department of Health (2007) Report of the independent expert working group on the prevention of venous thromboembolism in hospitalised patients. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_073944 .
- Department of Health (2008a) Hospital patients to be assessed for risk of blood clots. http://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/detail.aspx?NewsAreaId=2&ReleaseID=379218&SubjectId=16&AdvancedSearch=true .
- Department of Health (2008b) Risk assessment for venous thromboembolism. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_088216.pdf .
- 2007) Clinical practice. Prophylaxis for thromboembolism in hospitalized medical patients. New England Journal of Medicine, 356, 1438–1444. (
- 2009) Prevention of venous thromboembolism: a key patient safety priority. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7(Suppl. 1), 1–8. (
- 2008) Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th edition). Chest, 133, 381S–453S. , , , , , & (
- 2004) A prospective registry of 5,451 patients with ultrasound-confirmed deep vein thrombosis. American Journal of Cardiology, 93, 259–262. & (
- 2000) New onset of venous thromboembolism among hospitalized patients at Brigham and Women’s Hospital is caused more often by prophylaxis failure than by withholding treatment. Chest, 118, 1680–1684. , & (
- 2002) Relative impact of risk factors for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a population-based study. Archives of Internal Medicine, 162, 1245–1248. , , , , , & (
- House of Commons Health Committee (2005) The Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalised Patients, Second Report of Session 2004–2005. May 2007. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmhealth/99/99.pdf.
- 1992) Postoperative pulmonary embolism after hospital discharge. An underestimated risk. Archives of Surgery, 127, 310–313. , , & (
- 2009) Extended thromboprophylaxis with low-molecular-weight heparins after hospital discharge in high-risk surgical and medical patients: a review. Clinical Therapeutics, 31, 1129–1141. & (
- 2007) Multicenter evaluation of the use of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in acutely ill medical patients in Canada. Thrombosis Research, 119, 145–155. , , , , , , , & (
- 1969) Natural history of postoperative deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet, 2, 230–232. , , & (
- 1977) Prevention of fatal postoperative pulmonary embolism by low doses of heparin. Reappraisal of results of international multicentre trial. Lancet, 1, 567–569. , , , & (
- 2004) Compliance with recommended prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism: improving the use and rate of uptake of clinical practice guidelines. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 2, 221–227. , & (
- 2001) Prevention of venous thromboembolism. In: Hemostasis and Thrombosis: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice (ed. by R.Colman, J.Hirsh, V.Marder, A.Clowes & J.George), pp. 1393–1404. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia. & (
- 2001) Low molecular weight heparin and unfractionated heparin in thrombosis prophylaxis: meta-analysis based on original patient data. Thrombosis Research, 102, 295–309. , , & (
- 1992) Low molecular weight heparin in prevention of perioperative thrombosis. British Medical Journal, 305, 913–920. , , , & (
- 1991) Incidence of venous thromboembolism verified by necropsy over 30 years. British Medical Journal, 302, 709–711. , & (
- 2007) Incidence and mortality of venous thrombosis: a population-based study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 5, 692–699. , , , , & (
- National Institutes of Health (1986) Prevention of venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. NIH Consensus Development. Journal of the American Medical Association, 256, 744–749.
- NICE (2010) Venous thromboembolism: reducing the risk. Clinical Guideline 92, January http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG92.
- 1992) Low-molecular-weight heparin versus standard heparin in general and orthopaedic surgery: a meta-analysis. Lancet, 340, 152–156. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Early mobilisation after conventional knee replacement may reduce the risk of postoperative venous thromboembolism. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 89-B, 316–322. , , & (
- 1990) A comparison of general anesthesia and regional anesthesia as a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis following hip surgery: a critical review. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 64, 497–500. & (
- 1975) Low-dose heparin prophylaxis against fatal pulmonary embolism. British Medical Journal, 4, 257–259. , & (
- 1982) Prevention of venous thromboembolism. In: Hemostasis and Thrombosis: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice (ed. by R.Colman, J.Hirsh, V.Marder & E.Salzman), pp. 986–992. Lippincott, New York. & (
- 1989) Autopsy proven pulmonary embolism in hospital patients: are we detecting enough deep vein thrombosis? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 82, 203–205. & (
- 1992) The hemodynamic and fibrinolytic response to low dose epinephrine and phenylephrine infusions during total hip replacement under epidural anesthesia. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 68, 436–441. , , & (
- 1998) Trends in the incidence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a 25-year population-based study. Archives of Internal Medicine, 158, 585–593. , , , , & (
- 2007) Venous thromboembolism in the outpatient setting. Archives of Internal Medicine, 167, 1471–1475. , , , & (
- 1995) Prevalence of acute pulmonary embolism among patients in a general hospital and at autopsy. Chest, 108, 978–981. & (
- 2009) Duration and magnitude of the postoperative risk of venous thromboembolism in middle aged women: prospective cohort study. British Medical Journal, 339, b4583. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in acutely ill hospitalized medical patients: findings from the International Medical Prevention Registry on Venous Thromboembolism. Chest, 132, 936–945. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- Thromboembolism Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group (1992) Risk of and prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism in hospital patients. Thromboembolic Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group. British Medical Journal, 305, 567–574.
- 2007) Hospitals’ compliance with prophylaxis guidelines for venous thromboembolism. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 64, 69–76. , , & (
- 2003) Excess length of stay, charges, and mortality attributable to medical injuries during hospitalization. Journal of the American Medical Association, 290, 1868–1874. & (