The incidence and outcomes of fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopenia: a UK national study using three data sources
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
British Journal of Haematology
Volume 152, Issue 4, pages 460–468, February 2011
How to Cite
Knight, M., Pierce, M., Allen, D., Kurinczuk, J. J., Spark, P., Roberts, D. J. and Murphy, M. F. (2011), The incidence and outcomes of fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopenia: a UK national study using three data sources. British Journal of Haematology, 152: 460–468. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2010.08540.x
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2011
- Received 20 October 2010; accepted for publication 14 November 2010
- 2009) The relationship of anti-HPA-1a amount to severity of neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia – Where does it stand? Transfusion and Apheresis Science, 40, 75–78. , , , & (
- British Paediatric Surveillance Unit (2004) British Paediatric Surveillance Unit. Available at:http://bpsu.inopsu.com/. Accessed 20 July 2010.
- 2009) Diagnosis and management of the fetus and neonate with alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7(Suppl. 1), 253–257. (
- 2002) Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia in the Irish population: a discrepancy between observed and expected cases. Journal of Clinical Pathology, 55, 289–292. , , & (
- 1997) Frequency of immune thrombocytopenia in newborns: a prospective study. Immune Thrombocytopenia Working Group. Blood, 89, 4402–4406. , , , , & (
- General Register Office for Scotland (2007) Scotland’s Population 2006: The Registrar General's Annual Review of Demographic Trends. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh.
- General Registers Office (2008) Scotland’s Population 2007: The Registrar General’s Annual Review of Demographic Trends. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh.
- General Registers Office (2009) Scotland’s Population 2008: The Registrar General’s Annual Review of Demographic Trends. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh.
- 1995) Capture-recapture methods in epidemiology: methods and limitations. Epidemiologic Reviews, 17, 243–264. & (
- INOSS (2010) The International Network of Obstetric Survey Systems. Available at: http://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk/inoss. Accessed 23 June 2010.
- 2010) Screening in pregnancy for fetal or neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia: systematic review. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 117(11): 1335–43. , , , , , , & (
- 2007) A screening and intervention program aimed to reduce mortality and serious morbidity associated with severe neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Blood, 110, 833–839. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005) The UK Obstetric Surveillance System for rare disorders of pregnancy. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 112, 263–265. , , & (
- 2007) Advances in the management of alloimmune thrombocytopenia. British Journal of Haematology, 136, 366–378. & (
- 2002) Antenatal screening for fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopenia: should we be doing it? Vox Sanguinis, 83(Suppl. 1), 409–416. , & (
- Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (2009) Registrar General Annual Report 2008. Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency, Belfast.
- Office for National Statistics (2008) Birth Statistics 2006 Series FM1 No.35. Office for National Statistics, Newport.
- Office for National Statistics (2009) Birth Statistics 2007 Series FM1 No.36. Office for National Statistics, Newport.
- Office for National Statistics (2010) Birth Statistics 2008 Series FM1 No.37. Office for National Statistics, Newport.
- 2004) Follow up of children after antenatal treatment for alloimmune thrombocytopenia. Early Human Development, 80, 65–76. , , , , & (
- 2009) Evidence for the specificity for platelet HPA-1a alloepitope and the presenting HLA-DR52a of diverse antigen-specific helper T cell clones from alloimmunized mothers. Journal of Immunology, 183, 677–686. , , , , , , & (
- 1984) Goodness-of-fit based confidence intervals for estimates of the size of a closed population. Statistics in Medicine, 3, 287–291. & (
- 2005) Experiences with fetomaternal alloimmune thrombocytopenia in the Netherlands over a 2-year period. Acta Obstetrica et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 84, 203. , , , , & (
- 2009) Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia in Norway: poor detection rate with nonscreening versus a general screening programme. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 116, 594–598. , , , & (
- 2001) Estimation of the incidence of stroke using a capture-recapture model including covariates. International Journal of Epidemiology, 30, 1351–1359; discussion 1359–1360. , & (
- 2005) Prospective epidemiologic study of the outcome and cost-effectiveness of antenatal screening to detect neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia due to anti-HPA-1a. Transfusion, 45, 1945–1956. , , , , , , , , , & (
- UK National Screening Committee (2010) Criteria for Appraising the Viability, Effectiveness and Appropriateness of a Screening Programme. Available at: http://www.screening.nhs.uk/criteria. Accessed 19 October 2010.
- 2006) Long-term effects of fetal and neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia and its antenatal treatment on the medical and developmental outcomes of affected children. American Journal of Perinatology, 23, 487–492. , , & (
- 1998) The natural history of fetomaternal alloimmunization to the platelet-specific antigen HPA-1a (PlA1, Zwa) as determined by antenatal screening. Blood, 92, 2280–2287. , , , , , , , & (