Fast-food consumption and educational test scores in the USA
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Child: Care, Health and Development
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 118–124, January 2013
How to Cite
Tobin, K. J. (2013), Fast-food consumption and educational test scores in the USA. Child: Care, Health and Development, 39: 118–124. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2214.2011.01349.x
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2011
- Accepted for publication 9 October 2011
- Action for Healthy Kids (2004) The learning connection: the value of improving nutrition and physical activity in our schools. Available at: http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/special_exclusive.php (accessed from 19 January 2008).
- 2004) The effects of a double blind, placebo controlled, artificial food colourings and benzoate preservative challenge on hyperactivity in a general population sample of preschool children. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 89, 506–511. , , , , , , , & (
- Centers for Disease Control (2007) Overweight and obesity. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/ (accessed from 25 January 2008).
- 2001) Breakfast and performance. Public Health Nutrition, 4, 1429–1431. (
- Curriculum Review (2007) Trimming the fat from America's schools. Curriculum Review, 47, 14–15.
- 2002) Propensity score matching methods for nonexperimental casual studies. The Review of Economics and Statistics, 84, 151–161. & (
- 2009) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet, cognitive decline, and risk of dementia. Journal of the American Medical Association, 302, 638–648. , , , , , , & (
- 1996) Hyperactivity: is candy causal? Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 361, 31–47. , & (
- 2005) Another weighty burden: how much responsibility do schools bear for addressing the obesity of their students? School Administrator, 62, 10–17. (
- 2009) Deterioration of physical performance and cognitive function in rats with short-term high-fat feeding. The FASEB Journal, 23, 4353–4360. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Coordinated school health programs and academic achievement: a systematic review of the literature. The Journal of School Health, 77, 589–600. , , , & (
- 2006) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1994–2000. Journal of the American Medical Association, 295, 1549–1555. , , , , & (
- 1999) Nutrition and health outcomes associated with food insecurity and hunger. Journal of Nutrition, 129, 521–524. (
- 2004) Do artificial food colors promote hyperactivity in children with hyperactive syndromes? A meta-analysis of double-blind placebo-controlled trials. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 25, 423–434. & (
- 2007) Effort to limit junk food in schools faces hurdles. The New York Times. December 2, 2007. (
- 2007) A school salad bar increases frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption among children living in low-income households. Public Health Nutrition, 10, 1490–1496. , , , & (
- 2005) Mending vending: administrators face a dilemma: retain sugary snacks or forfeit needed school funds. School Administrator, 62, 20–25. (
- 2006) ECLS-K: combined user's manual for the ECLS-K fifth-grade data files and electronic codebooks. National Center for Education Statistics. , , , & (
- United States Department of Agriculture (2009) National School Lunch Program. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/aboutlunch/NSLPFactSheet.pdf (accessed from 26 July 2011).
- 1995) The effect of sugar on behavior or cognition in children: a meta-analysis. Journal of the American Medical Association, 274, 1617–1621. , & (
- 2005) Dietary fat intake is associated with psychosocial and cognitive functioning of school-aged children in the United States. Journal of Nutrition, 135, 1967–1973. , & (