Asthma due to inhaled chemical agents—fumes from ‘Multicore’ soldering flux and colophony resin


Professor J. Pepys, Department of Clinical Immunology, Cardiothoracic Institute, National Heart & Chest Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6HP.


Four patients with occupational asthma associated with exposure to soldering flux or hot-melt glue containing pine resin (colophony) were subjected to occupational type inhalation challenge testing.

All four gave immediate bronchial reactions to inhalation of the fumes, varying from one breath to 3 min of exposure.

The clinical history and provocation test reactions suggest hypersensitivity to colophony fumes.