Friday March 11th 2005, 9.30am – 5.00pm, BMA House, London
This year's seminar will focus on COPE's new Code of Conduct for Editors and interactive workshops on common ethical and editorial dilemmas. The Seminar is for editors, authors and all those interested in increasing the standard of publication ethics.
The Code aims to set a new basic standard for the ethical conduct of editors and sets out guidelines for quality and correcting the record, standing by decisions made, ethics committee approval, consent for publication confidentiality of submitted material, guidance to authors, pursuing misconduct, relationship to publishers, owners, and advertisers and conflict of interest.
The code also creates a mechanism to refer a complaint to COPE if an editor has breached the code.
The seminar will include:
- •The new Code of Conduct for Editors
- •Dr Iona Heath, Chair BMJ Ethics Committee – research, audit and ethics committee approval
- •COPE's new website – full text and keyword searching for COPE's advice on specific issues e.g. research misconduct, conflict of interest, deception etc.
- •Interactive workshops – common ethical and editorial dilemmas for editors
- •Opportunities to network with other editors and share your experiences and challenges
The seminar is free for COPE members and £30.00 for non-members. Numbers are limited and early booking is advisable. For registrations or more information please contact Sam Knottenbelt at email@example.com or call 020-7383-6602
For more information on COPE see http://www.publicationethics.org.uk/