Conflict of interest: none declared.
An audit of thiopurine methyltransferase genotyping and phenotyping before intended azathioprine treatment for dermatological conditions
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 British Association of Dermatologists
Clinical and Experimental Dermatology
Volume 35, Issue 2, pages 140–144, March 2010
How to Cite
Vestergaard, T. and Bygum, A. (2010), An audit of thiopurine methyltransferase genotyping and phenotyping before intended azathioprine treatment for dermatological conditions. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, 35: 140–144. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2230.2009.03446.x
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
- Accepted for publication 11 November 2008
Background. Determining thiopurine methyltransferase (TPMT) genotype and phenotype before azathioprine treatment predicts which patients are most likely to develop myelosuppression.
Aim. To evaluate the course of azathioprine treatment in people with TPMT heterozygosity and whether this deterred clinicians in prescribing the drug.
Methods. This was a retrospective analysis on patients who had TPMT assays undertaken with the intention of treating their skin disorder with azathioprine. Primary outcome measurements were: (i) whether or not azathioprine was started, (ii) azathioprine dosage, and (iii) duration of treatment. Secondary outcome measures were the effect of the drug, any reported side-effects and reasons for not starting azathioprine.
Results. TPMT assays were undertaken in 212 patients, of whom 90.6% were TPMT wild type and the remaining 9.4% were TPMT heterozygous. None of the patients was TPMT homozygous. Of the 192 wild-type patients, 103 (53.6%) received azathioprine, as did 7 (35%) of the 20 heterozygotes (P = 0.16). Mean azathioprine dose was 84.1 mg/day for wild-type patients and 64.3 mg/day for heterozygotes (P = 0.10). Mean treatment duration was 21.4 and 22.7 weeks for wild-type and heterozygotes, respectively (P = 0.52). Azathioprine treatment was stopped in 4 of 7 heterozygotes and 54 of 103 wild-type patients, because of side-effects, lack of effect or a combination of both. The commonest reason for not starting azathioprine treatment in heterozygous patients was their heterozygosity. For wild-type patients, the reasons were remission of disease or the patient’s lack of interest in the treatment.
Conclusions. TPMT heterozygosity was a deterring factor for the prescription of azathioprine in our department, and the dose for wild-type patients was lower than recommended guidelines. Treatment duration and occurrence of adverse effects were similar for heterozygotes and wild-type patients.