The Tat-conjugated N-terminal region of mucin antigen 1 (MUC1) induces protective immunity against MUC1-expressing tumours
Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2009
© 2009 British Society for Immunology
Clinical & Experimental Immunology
Volume 158, Issue 2, pages 174–185, November 2009
How to Cite
Yang, H., Cho, N.-H. and Seong, S.-Y. (2009), The Tat-conjugated N-terminal region of mucin antigen 1 (MUC1) induces protective immunity against MUC1-expressing tumours. Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 158: 174–185. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2009.03997.x
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2009
- Accepted for publication 7 July 2009
- 1O-glycosylation of the mucin type. Biol Chem 2001; 382:143–9..
- 2Strategies used for MUC1 immunotherapy: preclinical studies. Expert Rev Vaccines 2008; 7:951–62., .
- 3Strategies used for MUC1 immunotherapy: human clinical studies. Expert Rev Vaccines 2008; 7:963–75., , .
- 4Cancer immunotherapy by dendritic cells. Immunity 2008; 29:372–83..
- 5Taming cancer by inducing immunity via dendritic cells. Immunol Rev 2007; 220:129–50., , , .
- 6Dendritic cell immunotherapy: mapping the way. Nat Med 2004; 10:475–80., , , .
- 7DC-based cancer vaccines. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:1195–203..
- 8In vivo protein transduction: intracellular delivery of biologically active proteins, compounds and DNA. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2000; 21:45–8., .
- 9Dendritic cells transduced with protein antigens induce cytotoxic lymphocytes and elicit antitumor immunity. J Immunol 2002; 168:2393–401., .
- 10Induction of CD4(+) T cell-dependent antitumor immunity by TAT-mediated tumor antigen delivery into dendritic cells. J Clin Invest 2002; 109:1463–70., , et al.
- 11Tat mammaglobin fusion protein transduced dendritic cells stimulate mammaglobin-specific CD4 and CD8 T cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005; 91:271–8., , et al.
- 12Dendritic cells transduced with TAT protein transduction domain-containing tyrosinase-related protein 2 vaccinate against murine melanoma. Eur J Immunol 2003; 33:850–60., .
- 13The context of epitope presentation can influence functional quality of recalled influenza A virus-specific memory CD8+ T cells. J Immunol 2007; 179:2187–94., , , , , .
- 14Non-glycosylated tandem repeats of MUC1 facilitate attachment of breast tumor cells to normal human lung tissue and immobilized extracellular matrix proteins (ECM) in vitro: potential role in metastasis. Clin Exp Metastasis 2002; 19:339–45., .
- 15Immunization of chimpanzees with tumor antigen MUC1 mucin tandem repeat peptide elicits both helper and cytotoxic T-cell responses. Clin Cancer Res 1999; 5:1918–24., , .
- 16MUC1 peptide vaccination in patients with advanced pancreas or biliary tract cancer. Anticancer Res 2005; 25:3575–9., , et al.
- 17Identification of an HLA-A11-restricted epitope from the tandem repeat domain of the epithelial tumor antigen mucin. J Immunol 1995; 155:4766–74., , .
- 18Definition of MHC-restricted CTL epitopes from non-variable number of tandem repeat sequence of MUC1. Vaccine 2000; 18:2059–71., , , , .
- 19Tumor-specific immunity in MUC1.Tg mice induced by immunization with peptide vaccines from the cytoplasmic tail of CD227 (MUC1). Cancer Immunol Immunother 2004; 53:1068–84., , et al.
- 20Identification of three non-VNTR MUC1-derived HLA-A*0201-restricted T-cell epitopes that induce protective anti-tumor immunity in HLA-A2/K(b)-transgenic mice. Int J Cancer 2001; 91:385–92., , , , , .
- 21Delivery of tumor associated antigens to antigen presenting cells using penetratin induces potent immune responses. Vaccine 2006; 24:3191–202., , et al.
- 22O-glycosylated human MUC1 repeats are processed in vitro by immunoproteasomes. J Immunol 2007; 179:2380–8., .
- 23Presentation of MUC1 tumor antigen by class I MHC and CTL function correlate with the glycosylation state of the protein taken up by dendritic cells. Cell Immunol 1999; 194:143–9., , , .
- 24Immunotherapy of spontaneous mammary carcinoma with fusions of dendritic cells and mucin 1-positive carcinoma cells. Immunology 2003; 109:300–7., , et al.
- 25The JAM test and its daughter P-JAM: simple tests of DNA fragmentation to measure cell death and stasis. Nat Protoc 2006; 1:672–82., , .
- 26Neem leaf glycoprotein helps to generate carcinoembryonic antigen specific anti-tumor immune responses utilizing macrophage-mediated antigen presentation. Vaccine 2008; 26:4352–62., , et al.
- 27Recombinant tumor-associated MUC1 glycoprotein impairs the differentiation and function of dendritic cells. J Immunol 2005; 174:7764–72., , et al.
- 28NY-ESO-1 protein formulated in ISCOMATRIX adjuvant is a potent anticancer vaccine inducing both humoral and CD8+ T-cell-mediated immunity and protection against NY-ESO-1+ tumors. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10:2879–90., , et al.
- 29Mature dendritic cells induce T-helper type-1-dominant immune responses in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Urol Int 1999; 63:151–9., , et al.
- 30Immunotherapy with autologous, human dendritic cells transfected with carcinoembryonic antigen mRNA. Cancer Invest 2003; 21:341–9., , et al.
- 31Immunotherapy using fusions of autologous dendritic cells and tumor cells showed effective clinical response in a patient with advanced gastric carcinoma. J Gastroenterol 2003; 38:989–94., , , , , .
- 32Durable complete clinical responses in a phase I/II trial using an autologous melanoma cell/dendritic cell vaccine. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2003; 52:387–95., , et al.
- 33Dendritic cell vaccine immunotherapy of cancer targeting MUC1 mucin. Int J Mol Med 2003; 12:493–502., , et al.
- 34MUC1 oncoprotein blocks death receptor-mediated apoptosis by inhibiting recruitment of caspase-8. Cancer Res 2008; 68:6136–44., , , , , .
- 35MUC1 oncoprotein activates the IkappaB kinase beta complex and constitutive NF-kappaB signalling. Nat Cell Biol 2007; 9:1419–27., , et al.
- 36Contribution of membrane mucins to tumor progression through modulation of cellular growth signaling pathways. Curr Top Dev Biol 2007; 78:1–22., , , .
- 37Design of a MUC1-based cancer vaccine. Biochem Soc Trans 2005; 33:705–8..
- 38Processing of glycans on glycoprotein and glycopeptide antigens in antigen-presenting cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99:9611–13., , .
- 39Crystal structures of two H-2Db/glycopeptide complexes suggest a molecular basis for CTL cross-reactivity. Immunity 1999; 10:63–74., , et al.
- 40Crystal structure of an MHC class I presented glycopeptide that generates carbohydrate-specific CTL. Immunity 1999; 10:51–61., , , .
- 41T-cell recognition of tumor-associated carbohydrates: the nature of the glycan moiety plays a decisive role in determining glycopeptide immunogenicity. Cancer Res 1997; 57:3214–22., , et al.
- 42Effective immunotherapy of cancer in MUC1-transgenic mice using clonal cytotoxic T lymphocytes directed against an immunodominant MUC1 epitope. J Immunother 2002; 25:46–56., , et al.
- 43Protective anti-tumor immune responses by murine dendritic cells pulsed with recombinant Tat-carcinoembryonic antigen derived from Escherichia coli. Clin Exp Immunol 2009; 157:128–38., , .
- 44Optimization of the sequence of antigen loading and CD40-ligand-induced maturation of dendritic cells. Cancer Res 1998; 58:2965–8., , , , .
- 45Mucin 1-specific immunotherapy in a mouse model of spontaneous breast cancer. J Immunother 2003; 26:47–62., , et al.